General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Help with a "Special Needs" Passenger...

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/13, 06:55 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with a "Special Needs" Passenger...

I have a passenger in the Mustang that needs to be re-located from the passengers seat to a new "home" in the vehicle:

(aka my free samples dispenser)

Before I go any further I will put this out there first. I carry the above firearm for my work everyday, so any time I drive the Mustang it has to be stored somewhere in the vehicle.

North Carolina is an open carry state, so right now I have 3 options:

1.)On my hip in its level 3 holster (also pictured above)
2.)On the passenger seat (in plain view)
3.)In the trunk

My card from the NCPPSB finally arrived after many months, so I can use my scores to get my concealed carry. This opens up me to storing the firearm anywhere in the vehicle. Only other issue is I am left handed, which is part of the reason transporting it in my holster on my hip doesn't work too well (door kind of is in the way). So does anyone have any experience mounting a holster inside a Mustang that is easy access but doesn't get in the way? I have some ideas but I wanted to get as much feedback as possible before dropping $$$ on a holster/mount.

Last edited by DRaider90; 8/10/13 at 06:57 PM.
Old 8/10/13, 06:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the ladies on this site has a real cool mount in her car, maybe she will chime in. I forget her name
Old 8/10/13, 09:17 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk is out. I don't see why you would even have it, then.

In my work, I also need a gun handy, but not on my body. I've had good success with between the seat and the console; needs a holster for a Glock, though, because of the lack of external safety.

What I'd do is buy an el cheapo neoprene inside the belt holster and just put the pistol in it, then shove it in the space between the seat and the console. Being a lefty, you'd have to cross-draw, of course.

Is there a spot to mount a kydex holster under the dash, left of the steering wheel? All you'd need is to drill a couple holes, and you could get any composite holster of your choice to mount up there with sheet metal screws and washers.
Old 8/10/13, 10:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
One of the ladies on this site has a real cool mount in her car, maybe she will chime in. I forget her name
Hopefully she will, I am interested to see/find out kind of setup she has.

Originally Posted by 67Drewstang
Trunk is out. I don't see why you would even have it, then.

In my work, I also need a gun handy, but not on my body. I've had good success with between the seat and the console; needs a holster for a Glock, though, because of the lack of external safety.

What I'd do is buy an el cheapo neoprene inside the belt holster and just put the pistol in it, then shove it in the space between the seat and the console. Being a lefty, you'd have to cross-draw, of course.

Is there a spot to mount a kydex holster under the dash, left of the steering wheel? All you'd need is to drill a couple holes, and you could get any composite holster of your choice to mount up there with sheet metal screws and washers.
I don't transport my Glock in the trunk of the car (be it the Mustang or the Mazda 626 which ever I am driving), as you said it defeats the purpose. I have co-workers that do, and even though its an option (as I listed it) I don't consider it. I usually just get in the car with it on me in its holster if I am going to/from work (I can still get to it, but its a little bit more difficult). Outside of work when I am spending more time in the car it comes out of the holster and sits in the passengers seat for easier access. I adapt how I transport it based on how much time I am going to spend in the car.

BUT with my concealed carry I can start looking into other options obviously, and I like the idea of under the dash next to the steering wheel. That is actually the idea I was kicking around in my head today. I didn't think of between the seat and console, but it is something I will take a look at next time I am in the Mustang. Keep the ideas coming, I am sure there are a good number of places to fit a holster (while still being accessible) in the stang.

Last edited by DRaider90; 8/10/13 at 10:59 PM.
Old 8/10/13, 11:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I put my 96F in the glove box.
Old 8/11/13, 06:41 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,064 Likes on 666 Posts
Carrying it on you all the time can get too challenging mentally where you can't relax. Being on your guard 24/7 gets taxing. Been there, done that. Others are perfectly fine with carrying it. Depends on your own personal make-up. I stopped after awhile and started enjoying life again. As long as you have the permits, keep it handy 'just in case'. However, the passenger seat is too 'out there' IMO and any 'lefty' in a taller vehicle that can look down into your Mustang will call the cops and give them your tag number. They might even say you are waving it around because they are so anti-gun. They despise gun owners. You don't need the grief. Use whatever works for you. We are all too different on comfort levels.

** By the way, your title would probably get you 'profiled' by the politically correct crowd. Who do you think your are, Larry the cable guy? LOL!!!

Last edited by NC14GT; 8/11/13 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 8/11/13, 09:32 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dafreeze
I put my 96F in the glove box.
Not a bad idea depending on your goal/priorities in storing the firearm. But for me putting it in the glove box would be similar to keeping it in the trunk (no direct access). Again that is just me, different options work for different people. I considered the Beretta 92 and 96 when I was looking at duty weapons, but ended up going with the Glock. (Still great guns though).

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Carrying it on you all the time can get too challenging mentally where you can't relax. Being on your guard 24/7 gets taxing. Been there, done that. Others are perfectly fine with carrying it. Depends on your own personal make-up. I stopped after awhile and started enjoying life again. As long as you have the permits, keep it handy 'just in case'. However, the passenger seat is too 'out there' IMO and any 'lefty' in a taller vehicle that can look down into your Mustang will call the cops and give them your tag number. They might even say you are waving it around because they are so anti-gun. They despise gun owners. You don't need the grief. Use whatever works for you. We are all too different on comfort levels.

** By the way, your title would probably get you 'profiled' by the politically correct crowd. Who do you think your are, Larry the cable guy? LOL!!!
Carrying it 24/7 can be taxing, but I all ready carry it 12 hours a day while on duty 5/6 days a week so its not too bad. The passenger seat is 'too out there' also in my opinion, that is why I am getting my concealed to put it somewhere else not in plain view but still with easy access. Trying to get ideas from other's on here where to mount a holster in the Mustang.

As far as the anti-gun people go, I figured the title was a little more low key that saying "I need a place to store a Glock in my Mustang". And hopefully they can understand I have to carry it as my duty weapon for work (making transportation a legitimate issue).
Old 8/11/13, 12:21 PM
GT Member

You know what be cool? A special docking station where the entire holster can be clipped underneath the dash next to the steering wheel.

The safest bet with a firearm is to keep it in its holster; the great majority of NDs happen when pulling an arm out of the holster and putting it back in. So why not short cut the process and leave the gun in the holster? It would work for paddles and "J" hooks.

All you would need is a "U" channel the depth of the holster and the width of the paddle. Drill a hole on each ear of it and use sheet metal screws to hold it to the dash. It would retain the holster and allow the pull to draw. The paddle would go down, or the "J" hook would go up, with the "J" hook retained by the edge of the dash.

Last edited by 67Drewstang; 8/11/13 at 12:22 PM.
Old 8/11/13, 02:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I have seen pics of holsters mounted under the dash, right under the steering wheel. Seems it would be the best bet for you, especially being left handed. Are you a state trooper?
Old 8/11/13, 09:29 PM
GT Member

One more thing: Ditch the Serpa. They are pretty much junk, and unsafe to yourself and others to boot. Safariland makes a very competent kydex holster. Heck, even a cheap Fobus is better. The cheap Serpa retention button will fail when you need it most, and if you are lucky, it won't cause you to shoot yourself by accident.
Old 8/12/13, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
Texas custom holsters...
http://www.texascustomholsters.com

very easy to install and very secure no wiggling at all

Her name is Chrissy
Old 8/22/13, 06:37 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I have seen pics of holsters mounted under the dash, right under the steering wheel. Seems it would be the best bet for you, especially being left handed. Are you a state trooper?
I am not a State Trooper, my job is one that police (have told me on multiple occasions) consider "too dangerous" and they wouldn't even do it because it is so. There have even been instances of kidnappings of co-workers on their way home so they could be used to gain access into our base (main building). So its key to keep my duty weapon accessible at all times even when off duty. Especially after I got robbed and assaulted while on route going on 3 weeks ago, and all the guy got was an empty coal sack.

Originally Posted by 67Drewstang
One more thing: Ditch the Serpa. They are pretty much junk, and unsafe to yourself and others to boot. Safariland makes a very competent kydex holster. Heck, even a cheap Fobus is better. The cheap Serpa retention button will fail when you need it most, and if you are lucky, it won't cause you to shoot yourself by accident.
I hadn't heard of anything bad concerning the Serpa, but after reading your post I looked into it a little. Seems like it is possible to have a ND when drawing your weapon if you put your finger inside the trigger guard. When I pull my Glock out of the holster my trigger finger falls in line with slide above the trigger guard, so I haven't experienced that issue. I will take it into consideration and look at other holsters in the future, but right now the Serpa is working well for my use.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I all looking at everything that has been posted. When I do get something setup I will make sure to post pictures.
Old 8/22/13, 07:25 PM
GT Member

I hadn't heard of anything bad concerning the Serpa, but after reading your post I looked into it a little. Seems like it is possible to have a ND when drawing your weapon if you put your finger inside the trigger guard. When I pull my Glock out of the holster my trigger finger falls in line with slide above the trigger guard, so I haven't experienced that issue. I will take it into consideration and look at other holsters in the future, but right now the Serpa is working well for my use.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I all looking at everything that has been posted. When I do get something setup I will make sure to post pictures.
The other issue with Serpas is the ease by which the retention device fails, locking your piece in the holster. NDs can also happen when you try to force the draw subsequent. Safariland has an equivalent holster I am sure. (Would you be required to keep the bale, if you had it mounted under dash?)

Having said that, I still have one Serpa that I only use for low stress situations with one gun, mainly because I'm too cheap and lazy to get something different.

I know I've seen an el cheapo Uncle Mike's holster that straps onto the bottom of the steering column somewhere, but a google search comes up empty for me.

If you're on Facebook, "like" Glock Girl, and she has a rig like that.
Old 8/22/13, 07:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by pebkac
Texas custom holsters...
http://www.texascustomholsters.com

very easy to install and very secure no wiggling at all
Well, hello, you sweet thing....

Old 8/25/13, 03:52 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
chrissy0022 has a gun mounted in her car

chrissy0022 has a gun mounted in her car
Old 8/25/13, 03:54 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
look up topic who do i kill

look up topic who do i kill
she has pics there
Old 8/26/13, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Been carrying on and off duty since 1978 ..... feel naked without, feel perfectly at ease with it on my person.

I have Sigs that I carry in holster rigs, but sometimes I carry a Ruger 101 2" .357 bobbed hammer DAO in a pocket holster or ankle rig inside left ankle (for easy access sitting .... I'm a righty). There have been some few times when I was having a bad back day and simply tuck a sig under my right thigh inside it's holster.

I've worked a few wrecks where an unsecured weapon was lost or found later alongside the roadway.

Also, if approached by an on duty .... consider doing the polite thing of declaring it.

Last edited by tbear853; 8/26/13 at 07:07 PM.