General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

HELP !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/15, 12:00 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rear gear HELP !!!!

New member and also glad to see a guy my age 67.
I have a 2006 fusion and its going to my granddaughter for her 16th. I have had several mustangs such as 1970 mach1 with 351 Cleveland BEST CAR EVER HAD!!! Then a 1986 GT.. But in my older days I want to relive my youth and try my last mustang however they have changed so much!
Of course the 1970 was the typical 351 with the older heads crankshafts valves etc etc. Now they have 16 or 24 or more valves and everything smaller. such as 2.3L ecoboost with turbos . I digress but here is my dilemma and I need to be rescued. I am considering a 2015 SHO vs a GT premium.
I know, I know that's two very different cars. But the SHO offers nice power @365 but I read where it is a little heavy and they are redesigning it into a stretched out fusion and making it lighter. I do not want to wait til July or august for intro. I cannot reside myself into buying or leasing a SHO at this point. So I am 90% into closing this week for the GT premium deep blue or ruby red.
The word "BUT" They are now 6 speed and some 2014's were 5 speed I think. So with newer designed engines and power trains and rear gears you get spec's so varied. The 1970 had a 3:55 gear and lots of low gear power. So I am wondering about the 3:55 gear option vs the std. gear 3:31. If I am right the 3:55 will give a LITTLE more low gear power but reduce the top end a little in 6th. Is a 3:55 worth the trade off. If I am right (and I am NOT mechanical savy) So does anyone have comparisons of 3:31 gear at speeds and RPM's and a 3:55 gear with speeds vs rpm's. like ex: 60MPH at XXX rpm's 70 MPH at ???rpm's for each gear and finally the top end of the 3:55 gear. I know the spec's are the 3:31 gear is prox. 155 to 160MPH. how would the 3:55 gear compare say at 1st, 2nd.3rd,4th,5th, and 6th. gear..top end est?
Sorry for my long drawn out topic but what say you on gears vs performance and spec's.
LAST should I buy a SHO for comfort and performance but awkward for weight. OR stay with a 2015 prem. GT??? I'M a FORD man all my life!!! Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by kponypower; 3/29/15 at 05:21 PM.
Old 3/29/15, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
If I were you I would go with what I want, in this case it sounds like your really wanting the Mustang so just go for one, test drive a few and pick what you like and have fun, we only live once...

Welcome to TMS by the way!!
Old 3/29/15, 12:53 PM
GT Member

Thanks and wow, your in my area. I live in southern Indiana! Thanks..
Old 3/29/15, 12:55 PM
GT Member

still like to find some spec comparisons on speeds vs rpm's in the gears 1-6 with both 3:31 and 3:55 gears! Anyone?
Old 4/4/15, 09:46 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wish I had your old Mustang - the Cleveland was a great engine! My dad had a 351 Torino and I could smoke the tires all day on it. He was wondering why I was always rotating the tires. Have to if you want even tread wear, dad.
If you don't need 4 doors the Mustang is a fine choice for those of us with grey hair. It is not difficult to get in and out of. It is very comfortable and good for long trips. Since our budget was limited we went with the V6 and put the money into the premium interior and navigation. I wish I could help you with the gearing, I am looking at a change too. There have been a lot of gearing discussions so if you do a search you should be able to find some good reading.
Old 4/4/15, 10:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
All the 11-15s had 6-speed transmissions, auto or stick.

You're over thinking the 3.31s to 3.55s. They're very close. I have the 3.73s in my car and I wish I could have got the 3.55s...still might go down to them.

Are you going to take a car off the lot then? I'd not worry about the gears too much, because they can always be changed later, whenever you get a tuner and intake/exhaust for the car. If you haven't noticed, I'm the resident BAD influence when it comes to modifying these cars. I had parts ordered the day after I ordered my 2014, with said parts waiting months in my back room for my car to arrive.

Skip the current SHO. It's a pig. If you were going to go that route, I'd suggest the Explorer Sport instead, which is the same exact car but a lifted wagon version with more utility.

Get yourself a nice 2015, or see if your dealers have any leftover 2014s that they want to get rid of for cheap!
Old 4/4/15, 10:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3.31 vs 3.55 is a 7% change.

Going from 3.31 to 3.55:
- Your RPMs will increase by 7%
- Your top-end speed per gear will decrease by 7% (except the computer/aeordynamic limited 6th)
- 60 MPH will have RPM similar to 64 MPH
- 70 MPH will have RPM similar to 75 MPH
- You will "feel" an increase of torque similar to adding 30ft-lb
- You may lose 1-2 MPG based on how/where you drive
Old 4/4/15, 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
All the 11-15s had 6-speed transmissions, auto or stick.

You're over thinking the 3.31s to 3.55s. They're very close. I have the 3.73s in my car and I wish I could have got the 3.55s...still might go down to them.

Are you going to take a car off the lot then? I'd not worry about the gears too much, because they can always be changed later, whenever you get a tuner and intake/exhaust for the car. If you haven't noticed, I'm the resident BAD influence when it comes to modifying these cars. I had parts ordered the day after I ordered my 2014, with said parts waiting months in my back room for my car to arrive.

Skip the current SHO. It's a pig. If you were going to go that route, I'd suggest the Explorer Sport instead, which is the same exact car but a lifted wagon version with more utility.

Get yourself a nice 2015, or see if your dealers have any leftover 2014s that they want to get rid of for cheap!

I'm almost just as bad...I had a mod in hand months before I wanted to get the current mustang, and then the day I was finalizing the paperwork for the car I had the first mod installed before I even took it off the dealer lot (they still had the dealer tags and stuff on the car for heavens sake....but as for the whole gear thing (IMO) anything in the 3.xx range is good so I would just leave those alone honestly...

Last edited by Jim74656; 4/4/15 at 02:32 PM.
Old 4/4/15, 02:13 PM
GT Member

I picked up the 2015 gt premium with voice nav. I didn't order but had to take it on the car because I loved car. I do not like touch screen or vo. Nav. But!!
Ok.guys, here is my thoughts. I am ordering magnaflow streets. I looked at flomaster, mbrp, and magflo.
I chatted with American muscle and he tutored me. The race And competition are too loud esp. In car.
I considered the mbs they're nice but guy said they increase hp 16 to 18 but I could buy the tune at 459
And download to maximize hp to around a plus 30.. the magnaflow street does not need a tune programmer and he said the mgn. Flo street would increase hp to Prox 30 and torque too. So my thoughts are the mgn Flo street (found set complete for 899.) And maybe increase rear gear to 3:55.. don't want to totally destroy my mpg. The 355 is a good middle.. I will never re my car and I will baby it buy nice to know what you've got when you want it.. NOW! I see a comment about tuning.. can or do you still buy a tune
Device and download a tune regardless of the exhaust??? Is this saying that the magnaflow increases hp 30 to the 445 and also a tune will also increase hp. Or the tune is not necessary????? So basically again with mag Flo street gives me plus 30 PROX!! WILL A TUNE ADD ON OR IMPROVE PERFORMANCE REGARDLESS OF EXHAUST???? HELLO???
Old 4/4/15, 02:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you are changing the location of the O2 sensors, I don't see any reason a tune would be required.
Old 4/4/15, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

not sure on the answer to the question but the way I understand the tune will work is when buying it you will tell the people who are setting up your tune what mods you have on the car, gearing and other bits and bobs they need info wise, then they set the tune up based on that info to take advantage of the parts you have, so you are more then ok with buying the tune/programmer at a later time frame...hope that helps you some...
Old 4/4/15, 03:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

For axlebacks or catbacks a tune is not needed, nor required. And most catbacks will give you no more than 10-15hp from just swapping.

Now the tune will unlock around another 20 or so, but it will make the car feel better all around. A cold air intake will add another 5 or so, so it's up to you if that's worth the expense. They DO add some eye candy under the hood, but it's the tune that makes CAI's shine, not the intake themselves.
Old 4/4/15, 04:58 PM
GT Member

OK.. Chatting with muscle website the guy said when I was inquiring about MBRP street
cat backs he said the a tune kit for 400+ bucks and it would increase the hp with those pipes from 16 to 18 and with tune increase to about 30HP. But said with magnaflow streets or I don't need tune to achieve 30HP. the cat backs magnaflows will give that much of an increase on their own.. I saw where the MBRP streets cat backs were 659.00 but if you buy the tune box its over 459.00. so one is better off to buy magnaflows and not have to do a tune. NOW Lastly again!!
Am I reading this right. A tune is basically good when you have mods?? to get the most performance with mods??? However say certain exhaust systems such as Magnaflow street H, they say they alone increase horsepower up to 30HP. Will a tune enhance with those exhaust mods or is it a benefit at all and/or necessary!

Last edited by kponypower; 4/4/15 at 04:59 PM.
Old 4/4/15, 05:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
For axlebacks or catbacks a tune is not needed, nor required. And most catbacks will give you no more than 10-15hp from just swapping.

Now the tune will unlock around another 20 or so, but it will make the car feel better all around. A cold air intake will add another 5 or so, so it's up to you if that's worth the expense. They DO add some eye candy under the hood, but it's the tune that makes CAI's shine, not the intake themselves.

The muscle chat line the guy said a tune is not necessary with magnaflows and that they will increase 25 to 30 HP on their own but said the MBRP streets catbacks without the tune is only about 16 to 18 HP gain but with tune they would increase to about 25 to 30 HP?? Am I reading this stuff right??
Old 4/4/15, 05:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by kponypower
The muscle chat line the guy said a tune is not necessary with magnaflows and that they will increase 25 to 30 HP on their own but said the MBRP streets catbacks without the tune is only about 16 to 18 HP gain but with tune they would increase to about 25 to 30 HP?? Am I reading this stuff right??
I've read the 15s pick up a few more than the 11-14 with a catback, due to the "suitcase" resonator that gets replaced with an X or H in most catbacks, but don't believe everything AM tells you. They're trying to sell you stuff. Do some more research before you pull out the credit card
Old 4/4/15, 05:48 PM
GT Member

Magnaflow told me the streets pick up 25.. BUT
Betting on 16 to 18 m is more like it!
Dyno tested but fact or fiction??

Last edited by kponypower; 4/4/15 at 05:50 PM.