General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Guys and their Mod Lists on Car & Truck Forums

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/14, 11:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys and their Mod Lists on Car & Truck Forums

So, this is just a semi-idle observation (question?). I've been on a jillion motorcycle forums, and generally speaking, rarely does anyone have a list of all the "mods" they have installed on their bikes as part of their signature. Maybe a picture and the year/kind of bike, but that's about it.

Conversely, EVERY auto forum I have ever visited, many guys (most, even?) have this loooooong list of things installed on their vehicles. Like it's some kind of badge of honor, or p----- extension, or something.

Anyway....women don't seem to ever do this either. What's up with you guys and your list of mods in your signatures? Is it bragging rights? You've installed SO many things, you're afraid you'll lose track? It's the only place to store such information because you threw out the receipts so the wife wouldn't find them? Is it to impress the few females that show up on these forums? Anyway....being a gal, I find it kind of funny, or weird, or maybe both! LOL

No offense intended of course
Old 12/10/14, 12:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I don't have one...

I DO have an excel spreadsheet on my laptop with categories, mods, their prices and links to them though... and no I won't share, it's MY plan for MY car mwhahahahaha
Old 12/10/14, 12:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

PS, are you ready for that storm that's brewing? Of course, I just cleaned up the car too
Old 12/10/14, 12:07 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I don't have one... I DO have an excel spreadsheet on my laptop with categories, mods, their prices and links to them though... and no I won't share, it's MY plan for MY car mwhahahahaha
Lololol

I have a spreadsheet too

For two cars

Broken down into categories such as power train, exterior, interior, suspension

Color coded of course with vendor, pricing, and model number
Old 12/10/14, 12:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Lololol I have a spreadsheet too For two cars Broken down into categories such as power train, exterior, interior, suspension Color coded of course with vendor, pricing, and model number
This. Exactly this haha! I just have mine color coded as red (long term), yellow (on deck) and green (purchased)...
Old 12/10/14, 01:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
For some, it's a way of keeping everyone from asking, "what all have you done to it?" That's why I have mine listed at the bottom of my posts.

That and I'm a badass and like to **** off people who find it funny or weird. Or both.

Last edited by kcoTiger; 12/10/14 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12/10/14, 06:02 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I used to hack on guitar and I belonged to a few acoustic and electric forums. Same deal...guys were always modifying something and felt compelled to tell the world, myself included.

It's like sex....usually the guy that talks about it the most, does it the least.

Cars/Guitars/Sex...no difference. We're all just full of sh*t.
Old 12/10/14, 09:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
I have a mod list for both cars, it's displayed @ cruise nights & car shows.
Some people like to talk to the owner about his car, others just like to read.
It has nothing to do with loosing track, & I have all my receipts.
I see no reason to include this info in a sig, if someone wants to know what I've done to either car, they can PM me.
Old 12/10/14, 09:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't have one...

I DO have an excel spreadsheet on my laptop with categories, mods, their prices and links to them though... and no I won't share, it's MY plan for MY car mwhahahahaha

Ahhh, so you are the secretive one. Too bad you're local...someday maybe I'll see all the car secrets in person!
Old 12/10/14, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

PS, are you ready for that storm that's brewing? Of course, I just cleaned up the car too
Almost ready I guess! Going to go buy one battery lantern to add to the other one we have already. We also cleaned up the car, just in time for it to rain again!

Pretty thankful I no longer have a tree at each corner of my house. They were cut down a couple years ago after another windy day and a huge branch snapped off.
Old 12/10/14, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
For some, it's a way of keeping everyone from asking, "what all have you done to it?" That's why I have mine listed at the bottom of my posts.

That and I'm a badass and like to **** off people who find it funny or weird. Or both.
Reason #1 makes sense - Reason #2 is the best reason of the two, lol.
Old 12/10/14, 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Lololol

I have a spreadsheet too

For two cars

Broken down into categories such as power train, exterior, interior, suspension

Color coded of course with vendor, pricing, and model number
Guess we need a "Post Your Spreadsheet" thread then :-)
Old 12/10/14, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I used to hack on guitar and I belonged to a few acoustic and electric forums. Same deal...guys were always modifying something and felt compelled to tell the world, myself included.

It's like sex....usually the guy that talks about it the most, does it the least.

Cars/Guitars/Sex...no difference. We're all just full of sh*t.
Haha, I just love true answers! Ok....I won't pick on any of you now. Poor boys.
Old 12/10/14, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TheTaminator
Guess we need a "Post Your Spreadsheet" thread then :-)
I have mine broken down by phases of restoration, how much $ I think it should take, how much time I think it should take, then how much money and time it actually took, with a running total of cost and my over/under run. I've learned everything takes longer and is more expensive than I initially think.
Old 12/10/14, 01:32 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
i prefer not to post my mods in my signature and I almost never like to post pics of my car <cough>

I prefer a little mystery
Old 12/11/14, 12:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ER12883
I have mine broken down by phases of restoration, how much $ I think it should take, how much time I think it should take, then how much money and time it actually took, with a running total of cost and my over/under run. I've learned everything takes longer and is more expensive than I initially think.
Ummm....your post is exactly why I don't keep track of anything. I don't really want to know what we spent, lol.
Old 12/11/14, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Ummm....your post is exactly why I don't keep track of anything. I don't really want to know what we spent, lol.
I know, I can't help it. I collect data relentlessly.
Old 12/11/14, 10:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
People ask how much things cost, a blower, a set of wheels, etc.
I keep a binder with all my receipts in it, when they ask, I have an answer.
Young people ask how much a car costs.
Have been asked how much I have invested in mods, more than once.
I think it's pretty much part of the hobby.
Old 12/11/14, 08:17 PM
V6 Member

So, this is just a semi-idle observation (question?). I've been on a jillion motorcycle forums, and generally speaking, rarely does anyone have a list of all the "mods" they have installed on their bikes as part of their signature. Maybe a picture and the year/kind of bike, but that's about it.

Conversely, EVERY auto forum I have ever visited, many guys (most, even?) have this loooooong list of things installed on their vehicles. Like it's some kind of badge of honor, or p----- extension, or something.

Anyway....women don't seem to ever do this either. What's up with you guys and your list of mods in your signatures? Is it bragging rights? You've installed SO many things, you're afraid you'll lose track? It's the only place to store such information because you threw out the receipts so the wife wouldn't find them? Is it to impress the few females that show up on these forums? Anyway....being a gal, I find it kind of funny, or weird, or maybe both! LOL

No offense intended of course
Why would you jump on a car forum (of all places) to try to understand why men do what they do? This is a boarderline troll thread. I'm assuming this is supposed to be in jest. To stereotype (as you did), if I jumped on a quilting forum (trying to make a point) would it look bad if I said things they said or did was "weird" or "funny"? I'm keeping it light as well here.

C'mon. Now don't bash me for being overly sensitive either. I just find it interesting that you make the assumption it's some kind of male ego thing. Now, you wanna talk cars?

Last edited by RedGTs; 12/11/14 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12/11/14, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think it saves a lot of time not having to ask questions and just look at there mod list. It has nothing to do with bragging about what you've done to your car. I prefer seeing mod list to not seeing a mod list, that's for sure!!!

Quick Reply: Guys and their Mod Lists on Car & Truck Forums