General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Going to the track for the first time, got advice?

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/12, 09:14 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to the track for the first time, got advice?

I'm trying to get out to the local 1/4 mile soon and was looking for some tips on what to do.

Any advice on preparing the car, bringing the right tools, and safety gear.
It's a fairly stock 2012 V6 but the track rules are if it hits 13's you need a helmet. So, I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance
Old 7/6/12, 08:25 AM
V6 Member

Starting with the car, Safety First-do the regular maintenance checks and fluid level checks. Inspect for any leaks... Torque all lug nuts to specs. Now as far as any basic track prep of the car... I suggest removing anything that's added weight in the car .. Ex. a gym bag, tools, sports equipment, spare tire ( the tools and tire I leave in till I get to the track) raise the air pressure of the front tires by a few lbs to reduce rolling resistance and decreasing the rear by a few ( if using stock tires) to increase traction on launch.
Some guys may say this is nonsense and it isn't necessary.. Which it isn't ... If your just looking for a fun day leave it alone... If you want every tenth you can possibly gain ... Try it out!
As far as what to bring... I recommend a basic mechanics set of tools.. ( I keep a 150 pc) craftsman kit handy.. A tow strap and zip ties. If you run faster than 13.99 you need a helmet... -should be you! .... Post some times! Good luck
Old 7/6/12, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^Good advice^^^
Also it can't be just any helmet it has to be Snell approved or M2005. A drive shaft loop is also mandatory at 13.99 or faster.
Old 7/6/12, 01:28 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ledsled
I'm trying to get out to the local 1/4 mile soon and was looking for some tips on what to do.
Floor it!

Old 7/6/12, 01:31 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Scuba-Matt
^^^Good advice^^^
Also it can't be just any helmet it has to be Snell approved or M2005. A drive shaft loop is also mandatory at 13.99 or faster.
Most tracks aren't checking for helmet classification or driveshaft loops. As long as you have a helmet that looks good enough. Unless you're running 10's or better, I doubt if they will check for much. 11's and they might give you a second look.
Old 7/7/12, 05:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Most tracks aren't checking for helmet classification or driveshaft loops. As long as you have a helmet that looks good enough. Unless you're running 10's or better, I doubt if they will check for much. 11's and they might give you a second look.
Our track always checks the helmet (PBIR), not so much on the DS loop. There is nothing worse than driving 200 miles to a track. Then being turned away because you didn't have the proper equipment to pass tech.
Old 7/7/12, 10:12 AM
GT Member

This is a great thread... When is a cage needed? Drive shaft loop?
Old 7/7/12, 10:34 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Scuba-Matt
Our track always checks the helmet (PBIR), not so much on the DS loop. There is nothing worse than driving 200 miles to a track. Then being turned away because you didn't have the proper equipment to pass tech.
Damm! Our tracks are just happy to see just about any helmet. Guess it just depends on the track.
Old 7/7/12, 12:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our track doesnt care about driveshaft loops unless your running cheater slicks and running 11s.
Helmet 13.99 or better, they dont care about snell unless your in competition bracket racing.
11.49 or faster you need a rollbar
Old 7/7/12, 12:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Perhaps you should go get a copy of the rules of the track, maybe by calling or a website they may have.

Armed with this, you can then do what you need to with the car and yourself.

Or, this: Bring a helmet, and then ask if you need it. Because you just don't know what they'll do with that until you get there. Also make sure the car is in decent shape... battery tied down, suspension in good shape, no leaks (they *hate* that... including the A/C being on dripping it's water, so make *SURE*.)

Then run the track. If you go over some criteria of speed and they don't approve of you/your car doing it, then they'll kindly inform you to "a: you're done today with that machine." and "b: Here's what you can do to come back with it."

If not, then hey, run until you puke... or lose.

Either way, you'll know for sure.

--

As far as tools? Unless you're planning on seriously breaking the car, may need a jack and a tire iron to put a spare on if one goes flat. That should be it. Unless you're seriously paranoid about your car breaking, in which case, trailer your car and have a full kit of tools in the truck you drag it around with. Which some people do, but they're srs bnis racin'. And they have stuff to fix transmissions, replace fluids, weld things, all kinds of weird oddities because they're way not stock. Doesn't sound like that's your thing... yet... so I would say just bring your car, and run it. If it happens to break, then it would maybe have broken on a road trip anyway, and do you bring a kitchen sink for a road trip?

Basic tools maybe. A socket/wrench set, screwdrivers, zipties. Anything else and you probably need a friend's vehicle or tow truck, so...

/Go have fun. Seriously, just go, and take the helmet in case.
//Although it *would* suck to drive 3 hours or so to make one pass and then have to quit. Or not even run.
///Although, you can hang around and learn stuff by watching/asking, so there's that.

Last edited by houtex; 7/7/12 at 12:39 PM.
Old 7/7/12, 07:02 PM
GT Member

Leave on the yellow before green. If you see green then leave you lose.
Old 7/17/12, 09:12 AM
GT Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I went to Cayuga and did 11 passes the other night and had a blast! I had an approved helmet and the car is 6 months old so a thorough inspection and she was good to go. I did not run AC and it was hot, 100+F.

The car never got into the 13's but the heat and not knowing my best shift point hurt that. Going again soon, and thanks again everyone!
Old 7/17/12, 09:39 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ledsled
Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I went to Cayuga and did 11 passes the other night and had a blast! I had an approved helmet and the car is 6 months old so a thorough inspection and she was good to go. I did not run AC and it was hot, 100+F.

The car never got into the 13's but the heat and not knowing my best shift point hurt that. Going again soon, and thanks again everyone!
Don't get discouraged about not hitting the times you'd expect to, Just like anything else and even more so it takes practice. If you really want to get serious and work on lowering your ETs, keep a log. and each run note your launch rpm, what your shift points are in each gear , tire pressure and temperature.... With enough data you'll see the optimum technique to start lowering your ETs consistently. Looking forward to seeing some time slips!
Old 7/17/12, 11:31 PM
GT Member

I have a full write up about my day at the track and where I feel improvements are going to be made. The thread includes all modifications I am making and how they will affect et's.

Follow along here if you like:

https://themustangsource.com/f785/mo...-robyn-510883/

Last edited by ledsled; 7/17/12 at 11:34 PM.
Old 7/17/12, 11:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss408
Don't get discouraged about not hitting the times you'd expect to, Just like anything else and even more so it takes practice. If you really want to get serious and work on lowering your ETs, keep a log. and each run note your launch rpm, what your shift points are in each gear , tire pressure and temperature.... With enough data you'll see the optimum technique to start lowering your ETs consistently. Looking forward to seeing some time slips!
Agree with above, including keeping data on dates and weather.
Old 7/18/12, 09:58 AM
GT Member

I will scan some of my slips and post them later today
Old 11/18/12, 06:23 PM
GT Member

It's been a few months what where your times