General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

A gas station attendant, Scratched my CAR!

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/05, 08:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, that sucks.
Not only for the car, but the rampant lawyers making up idiotic rules like you can't pump your own gas.

Hope it gets fixed soon (and painlessly).
Old 8/22/05, 08:56 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@August 22, 2005, 7:48 PM

Ohh? No hablas ingles?
Do you habla Department of Homeland Security?

IN NJ it is illegal to pump ur own gas, a law to give the imports a job
Old 8/22/05, 09:00 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That sucks about the car. It sucks even worse that there's such a stupid law. Seriously people, learn to write your lawmakers, and if that doesn't work... go vote. Unbelievable. Hope your car gets fixed quickly and well without any insurance hassles. Good luck.
Old 8/22/05, 09:07 PM
GT Member

Torrence that sux.
Even if I go to a full serve station I always pump my own gas,
those jockeys are careless,I hate it when they unscrew your cap and let it dangle there on the tether banging on your 1/4 panel,jamming the nozzle missing the hole etc...
Anyway most likley your whole 1/4 panel will have to be painted. Labour time should be about 2.5 hours for paint including clear coat and 1-2 days in the shop.
That gas station should also give you some gas gift certificates for your trouble!!! Ask them for some free gas!!
Old 8/22/05, 09:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@August 22, 2005, 11:03 PM
That sucks about the car. It sucks even worse that there's such a stupid law. Seriously people, learn to write your lawmakers, and if that doesn't work... go vote. Unbelievable. Hope your car gets fixed quickly and well without any insurance hassles. Good luck.

John,

The law, which was instituted in 1949 when the state was worried some idiot smoking would blow himself and everyone else up, was challenged in court in 1951 but the challenge failed. No incident ever actually happened to cause this law(from my research); it was just a precautionary measure. From the research I've done, in Oregon someone actually drove away from the pumps without shutting off and removing the nozzle from their gas tank. The only other state to have this law.

I don't think the law will change though, the majority of mall shopping Jerseyites like getting full-serve at self-serve prices.. 2.49 gallon (name brand) for 87 and there's one gas station that has 5 cents off super on Sat/Sun which makes that 2.49/gallon too (obviously not name brand).
Old 8/22/05, 10:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ouch, sorry about your pony!

Shouldn't this be moved to the exterior mods section?
Old 8/22/05, 11:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by blackhat97@August 22, 2005, 10:41 PM
John,

The law, which was instituted in 1949 when the state was worried some idiot smoking would blow himself and everyone else up, was challenged in court in 1951 but the challenge failed. No incident ever actually happened to cause this law(from my research); it was just a precautionary measure. From the research I've done, in Oregon someone actually drove away from the pumps without shutting off and removing the nozzle from their gas tank. The only other state to have this law.

I don't think the law will change though, the majority of mall shopping Jerseyites like getting full-serve at self-serve prices.. 2.49 gallon (name brand) for 87 and there's one gas station that has 5 cents off super on Sat/Sun which makes that 2.49/gallon too (obviously not name brand).
You won't see me getting gas in NJ or OR, I hope these are the only States I would hate to be caught off guard and have to fill the tank, gas can by can or even worse trailer my stang out of a state
Old 8/23/05, 12:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Used to live in New Jersey (was a pump jockey in high school too) and don't miss having other people pumping my gas. Every time I go to visit relatives I cringe. WHen my brother came out to visit, his wife didn't didn't know how to operate/pay at the pump. He actually likes someone else pumping his gas for him.
Old 8/23/05, 01:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

When I lived in northern Massachusetts a few years ago we had the same law...the stations had to pump the gas into your vehicle. It sure seemed really weird as I hadn't seen full serve stations since the 70's. Must be a northeastern thing maybe?
Old 8/23/05, 02:15 AM

It's all of those weirdo Yankees. :bang: j/k I'd be damned if I let anyone fill up my car, I don't care if it's against the law. If they did scratch my car, I'd probably go apecrap on them.
Old 8/23/05, 02:41 AM
Cobra Member

i would have grabed the nozzel and filled him up...........
Old 8/23/05, 06:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Torrence, sorry you cant make it 2day to watch the installation of the push button in my Mustang.

However, I think you ought to pump your own gas. We live in NJ and I know we are not allowed to pump our own gas but I really don't listen to them. I always get out of my vehicle at every station and grab the nozzel b4 they do, I don't want them touching my car no more. I had an experience going to a wawa gas station where a guy literally overfilled my tank trying to get it to the nearest dollar and it slipped gasoline all over my quarter panel. If they tell me that I cant do it, I tell them to call the cops if they are gonna make a big deal about it. And if the cops come, they wont do anything, you just tell them that the guy was taking an incredibly long time to pump your car while he was socializing with co-workers or something.

Best of luck getting those scratches fixed.....
Old 8/23/05, 08:09 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Torrence@August 22, 2005, 8:28 PM
As if I didn't have enough problems. I pull up and tried to get some gas off the turnpike at a Sunoco. I see the guy struggling with the nozzle and hose. I get out look at the situation and see 2 nice scratches, right above the gas door. I say dude look what you did to my car.... Then he pulled the I don't speak english routine. I said go get your manager, he understood that. So I am holding my head explained the whole thing filled out an incident log and left really upset. The manager said that's why we have insurance and it will get taken care of. I just really don't have time for this.
I called Sunoco customer care reported it and now I have to wait for their insurance company to contact me, for the repairs. I am going to get an estimate tomorrow.

So to all beware and those of you who are lucky enough to live in states to pump your own gas, its a great privilage. Trust me.
I think I know that gas station, sorry to hear that you had that happen they will take care of it though.

If I am not mistaken, in the state of NJ, it is illegal for one to fill their own car up with gas, which means no place can legally allow you to do it.
yes it is illegal in Jersey.
Old 8/23/05, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by vistablue mustang@August 23, 2005, 9:12 AM
I think I know that gas station, sorry to hear that you had that happen they will take care of it though.
yes it is illegal in Jersey.

Sorry but I don't understand. What qualifications do the attendants have that a driver doesn't. Are they trained in any way? Do they have to be certified? If neither, why can they fill and you can't. It makes no sense. As far a driving off with a hose in the tank, here in Texas we have quick disconnect hoses. No big deal, just pop it back on. usted le dana paga. YOU DAMAGE YOU PAY!
Old 8/23/05, 09:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Big brother run amok.

Crazy liberal states.
Old 8/23/05, 09:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by hamidlmt@August 22, 2005, 6:11 PM
Oregon is the same way... ya can't pump your own gas.
What's that all about?

Oh nevermind, I just read the law post. Still that bites!
Old 8/23/05, 09:58 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well since this has taken a turn towards the darkside of who should pump gas I am going to move this to the General Mustang Chat section.
Old 8/23/05, 10:28 AM
FR500 Member

Back on topic... sorry to hear about that. Seriously though, if I couldn't pump my own gas, I'd have to move to another state.
Old 8/23/05, 01:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Actually to tell you the truth, of almost applying to a Super Wawa with gas pumps at 16, they make you watch a 30 min training video on how the pump works and how to turn the pumps off in the case of an accident. And they give you their own written 15 question test. You pass that, then Wawa certifies you to pump.

Not to sound overruling, but anytime someone give me crap about pumping my own gas, I tell them Im a firefighter and they leave me the heck alone, sometimes, had a 16 yr old punk give me an attitude one time about that saying he didnt give a *four letter f word* what I am and not to touch the pump, i ignored him, all he kept doing was flapping his mouth......
Old 8/23/05, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but this is why I only drive my old Jeep on the rare occasion that I have to travel to the northeast. And even then, if I can get away with pumping my own gas, I do.

I've even pulled that "Eh? Jeus no parlez pas l'Engles mucho aqui!" from time to time when the attendant insisted. Every time, he got tired of me and let me pump the darn gas.....

Quick Reply: A gas station attendant, Scratched my CAR!