General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Extended warranty-yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/13, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended warranty-yes or no?

Bought a Windveil Blue GT Premium back in 2005. Finances dictated I sell it in 2007. Fortunately, I was just able to buy another 2005 Windveil Blue GT Premium with only 5000 miles on it. Not letting this one get away and plan on having this car for many years to come. This car will be driven 8 months a year and put away for the winters. Have an opportunity to purchase a 4 or 5 year extended warranty at cost through a dealer friend. Full coverage, low deductible, etc. Curious what others think of extended warranties (especially for a car 8 years old but with only 5000 miles on it) and what others have experienced in terms of needed repairs.
Old 5/6/13, 05:58 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
extended warranty

I have owned fords for quite some time and have always purchased extended warranties. This seems to fly against common wisdom but they have always (for better or for worse) paid for themselves. Two things though:

I keep my cars for for at least 100,000 miles and I purchase the top of the line coverage. The top coverage costs more but it covers almost all components, especially the electrical and electronic components. These get expensive, unless you do your own work. Think power windows, ABS systems,etc. The more electronics, the better sense it makes. For my mustang I purchased longer years, lower mileage.

secondly think about usage of your car. Warranties have two aspects, the mileage covered and the time covered. If you drive a lot then look for the higher mileage coverage. If you do not drive a lot, but plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time, look to the longer years shorter mileage.

finally only purchase the Ford extended mileage. look on the internet for Lombardi Ford. these warranties costs vary by dealership. I have had good luck with Lombardi. Their website will give you all the information you need, and you can figure costs by the two variables.

good luck.
Old 5/6/13, 09:14 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,017 Likes on 632 Posts
A Ford extended warranty, YES. An aftermarket company, NO.
You have been warned.
You can do the research yourself with simply searching Google. The number of aggravated customers is staggering!! The excuses not to pay is typical for insurance companies, but with used cars, it is unreal.
Old 5/6/13, 03:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
^^^^Ford ESP only. I would say yes to one for the 2005. The car really isn't broke-in yet. And, with that low of miles it has likely sat for long periods of time. Which is not good for the gaskets, and seals.
Old 5/6/13, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Buying the extended warranty is a big gamble and you'll be lucky to use it. I saw a report a few years ago that showed a very low percentage of people who bought it actually used it. Unless they're making crappier cars today then they did a couple years ago its not worth it. I didn't get one for the 500.