General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ergonomics of the Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11/21/13 | 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Question Ergonomics of the Mustang

I am having an issue with my Mustang ever since I bought it. The problem is my right knee starts hurting or I have discomfort after even a short drive. Any other time my knee feels fine. I have a 2010 convertible GT with a manual transmission. I have tried many, many, many seating positions and my right leg is never in a comfortable position to access the gas/brake pedal where I can also reach the clutch pedal with my left leg. I am 5'8" and in my 30’s. I have no health issues related to my legs. Any of you have some advice?

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 11/21/13 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11/21/13 | 03:31 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

If you have tried many seating positions then I'm not sure what the answer is. I'm 5'9" and 20+ years older than you and I have no issues with leg pain when shifting my 5 speed, or otherwise. Does your knee hurt when just cruising on the highway and not shifting? If it does hurt when just cruising, then the seat pressure is bothering a nerve or muscle. I'd hate to think you need to sell the GT but I doubt doctors will have the answer without costing you a bundle in tests.
Old 11/21/13 | 03:53 PM
Cobra Member

If you normally have things in your pockets (i.e. a wallet in your back pocket), try removing those things and see if that makes a difference. Sounds odd, but I had a problem with my hip after I got my Honda S2000 and it was caused by a wallet in my back pocket and the pressures caused by the seats in the S2000. I removed the wallet and end of problem.
Old 11/21/13 | 06:47 PM
Legacy Tms Member

I will find that sometimes when I'm an hour into a drive my leg begins to burn. Sciatica most probably. I solved it by 1: placing a rolled up towel at the base of the seat back and 2: changing my seat position so that I tilt the seat back further back and the seat pan further forward. Takes the pressure off the back. That, and the wallet removal is vital.
Old 11/21/13 | 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

After jumping out of planes for 8 years in military I occasionally have issues with my left knee while shifting but has never been anything more than a nuisance. If it was clutch pedal I would say try an extension but since it's gas and brake pedal not sure...
Old 11/22/13 | 06:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

I used to only remove my wallet during long trips but now I am going to do it every day or just keep it in my front pocket. When I keep my right leg straight it feels uncomfortable. I have to kind of move it to an angle where my knee is resting on the console to relieve the pressure. It feels like the gas/brake pedal is sitting too far to the left of where it needs to be. I have to use the side of my foot to mash the gas, the brake is fine. It is most unaffordable when my foot is on the gas.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 11/22/13 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11/22/13 | 06:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Edit -Double post

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 11/22/13 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11/24/13 | 12:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm with ya brother, although I don't have the associated pain. A telescoping steering wheel would be the answer for me. Manual or power, doesn't matter...............ARE YOU LISTENING FORD ?????????

Last edited by wanted33; 11/25/13 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11/27/13 | 09:25 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
I am having an issue with my Mustang ever since I bought it. The problem is my right knee starts hurting or I have discomfort after even a short drive. Any other time my knee feels fine. I have a 2010 convertible GT with a manual transmission. I have tried many, many, many seating positions and my right leg is never in a comfortable position to access the gas/brake pedal where I can also reach the clutch pedal with my left leg. I am 5'8" and in my 30’s. I have no health issues related to my legs. Any of you have some advice?
Originally Posted by wanted33
I'm with ya brother, although I don't have the associated pain. A telescoping steering wheel would be the answer for me. Manual or power, doesn't matter...............ARE YOU LISTENING FORD ?????????
Hi guys,

We do listen! You can submit your ideas at Ford Social.

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 11/27/13 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11/29/13 | 12:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Hi guys,

We do listen! You can submit your ideas at Ford Social.

Deysha

Thanks for the tip Deysha.
Old 11/29/13 | 01:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I moved my seating postion (again) and made sure my wallent is out of my pocket. It is helping but I still get the issue from time to time. A telescoping steering wheel would help a great deal. Maybe I shoud have gotton an automatic!
Old 11/29/13 | 01:41 PM
Post *****

I learned a long time ago as a professional driver to take stuff out of your back pocket so you sit square. I also see so many people lean the seat so far back so they look like kick back jack. Leads to back and neck pain.

The only thing that really disturbs me on Mustang is the surprisingly strong tension of the seat belt over the shoulder. It is much tighter than my other new vehicles. On long trips it is extremely uncomfortable. The belt locks up on hard braking anyway, why the extreme tension?
Old 11/29/13 | 04:10 PM
NTTAWWT

The telescoping steering wheel would be great.
Old 11/29/13 | 05:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Maybe get the Extender for the clutch so you can move the seat back a bit more, also try sitting with the seat straighter up. Something I learned when driving a truck. 600-800 miles a day you have to be comfortable.
Also try different angles on the seat bottom, small changes there can be a big change on the hips and knees.
Old 11/30/13 | 01:18 AM
Bullitt Member

http://www.shop.bondraperformanceeng...usEZClutch.htm

I'm ordering this soon. In order to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor I have to have my seat closer to the steering wheel than is comfortable for me. I'm 5'11. The steering wheel needs to telescope as well but there is no easy fix for that.
Old 11/30/13 | 01:18 AM
Bullitt Member

http://www.shop.bondraperformanceeng...usEZClutch.htm

I'm ordering this soon. In order to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor I have to have my seat closer to the steering wheel than is comfortable for me. I'm 5'11. The steering wheel needs to telescope as well but there is no easy fix for that.
Old 11/30/13 | 06:48 AM
GT Member

Please let us know how this works out...
Old 11/30/13 | 07:27 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

try lowering the front of the seat so it slopes down towards the peddles. How much to you weigh? jeans, shorts, sweats or anything? Have you asked a doctor? Do you have a family history of blood clots or vein/artery illness? Try eating more bananas and pickles.
Old 12/3/13 | 10:20 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by wanted33
Thanks for the tip Deysha.
You're very welcome, wanted33!

Deysha
Old 12/5/13 | 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

It seems moving the front of the seat up helps but I have to fold myself over to reach the stick and steering. I will mention it to my doc next time I am in.

Originally Posted by Flagstang
try lowering the front of the seat so it slopes down towards the peddles. How much to you weigh? jeans, shorts, sweats or anything? Have you asked a doctor? Do you have a family history of blood clots or vein/artery illness? Try eating more bananas and pickles.

Quick Reply: Ergonomics of the Mustang