General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Does anyone, epsecially Texans, live in an HOA neighborhood?

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/14, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Does anyone, epsecially Texans, live in an HOA neighborhood?

I am moving to Denton Texas. I don't want an hoa but most of the nicer homes have them. I am worried about my Mustang being too loud with roush exhaust. Anyone had any problems? I hope to find a non hoa but I may have to suck it up and deal with it to get a nice house. I still have my stock mufflers I can put back on if I have too.
Old 5/5/14, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I never had any problem
Old 5/5/14, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't drive like a d*ck while in the neighborhood. Cruise lightly.
Old 5/5/14, 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by etorrs
Hi

I never had any problem
Hi. Cool.

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't drive like a d*ck while in the neighborhood. Cruise lightly.
Lol, I would not drive like a d*ck in a neighborhood. I was also worried about the cold start, because it is loud.
Old 5/5/14, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HOA's are usually run by people who get little bit of power then wield it like Thor's hammer... just my humble opinion.
Old 5/5/14, 08:41 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DaGonz
HOA's are usually run by people who get little bit of power then wield it like Thor's hammer... just my humble opinion.

Hell the Planning Dept/Building Dept is bad enough telling you what you can and cannot do with YOUR land. Much less a bunch of snob asz power trippers of the 'neighborhood committee'.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/5/14 at 08:43 PM.
Old 5/5/14, 08:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

Hell the Planning Dept/Building Dept is bad enough telling you what you can and cannot do with YOUR land. Much less a bunch of snob asz power trippers of the 'neighborhood committee'.
Ugh, the only reason city governments are worse then HOAs is because they typically have more power. My old city's response to them not following their ordinances: "go hire a lawyer if you have an issue, otherwise go away". They can pound sand.
Old 5/6/14, 05:42 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
I've lived in HOA communities most of my life and 20+ years of it in Florida where the old farts live, and presidents of these HOA that act like Hitler. NEVER a problem myself or seen one either. I had a '74 Cuda with a 360 that was very loud when cold. No complaints. A neighbor had a '72 DeTomaso Pantera with an aftermarket exhaust. LOUD!! Never an issue but you sure knew when he cranked it up in his garage. That's another important factor: the car should be in a garage, not left in the driveway. The biggest thing has already been mentioned. Drive like a 'wuss' when in the neighborhood. No revving, no fast anything. That's the key.
Old 5/6/14, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DaGonz

Yeah, I've heard bad stories. I don't want them out with a measuring stick to the grass and get written up if it is half an inch too long.
Old 5/6/14, 07:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
I've lived in HOA communities most of my life and 20+ years of it in Florida where the old farts live, and presidents of these HOA that act like Hitler. NEVER a problem myself or seen one either. I had a '74 Cuda with a 360 that was very loud when cold. No complaints. A neighbor had a '72 DeTomaso Pantera with an aftermarket exhaust. LOUD!! Never an issue but you sure knew when he cranked it up in his garage. That's another important factor: the car should be in a garage, not left in the driveway. The biggest thing has already been mentioned. Drive like a 'wuss' when in the neighborhood. No revving, no fast anything. That's the key.
Of course I would drive carefully in the neighborhood. I would do that in a non hoa neighborhood. The Mustang is my dd. I will have a garage but don't know it I will want to put it in the garage everytime. Hope it will be big enough for my husband to keep on side clean and clear so I can park in it. We have 3 other cars and two motorcycles. I was worried also about having too many vehicles. My realtor said that would be okay as long as the cars don't sit in one spot too long.
Old 5/6/14, 07:41 AM
GT Member

Lived in Denton since college, currently in an HOA and noise is typically not an issues. In my case they go crazy around the number of cars and motorcycles I have at the house (currently 7 cars) (6 motorcycles all garaged) complaining I can't park on the street. However the streets are owned by the city in my case so I am continually telling them to go away every time they change property managers.

The biggest thing is keeping your property nice and clean ie... Mowed, Painted, Maintain your fence etc.... and most won't bother you

Ask for a copy of the HOA by laws and read them in detail.

What HOA are you looking at?
Old 5/6/14, 07:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by polarisTXguy
Lived in Denton since college, currently in an HOA and noise is typically not an issues. In my case they go crazy around the number of cars and motorcycles I have at the house (currently 7 cars) (6 motorcycles all garaged) complaining I can't park on the street. However the streets are owned by the city in my case so I am continually telling them to go away every time they change property managers.

The biggest thing is keeping your property nice and clean ie... Mowed, Painted, Maintain your fence etc.... and most won't bother you

Ask for a copy of the HOA by laws and read them in detail.

What HOA are you looking at?
Cool. Our daughters go to UNT. One is there now and the other starts this fall. Both of them have cars so we will need to park on the street. The maintaining things should not be a problem. Another thing I was worried about is my dogs. They bark at everything that moves. Is barking dogs an issue?

The house I like the most at the moment says it is in River Oaks subdivsion. On Mild Creek rd. The other one we like is in Krum. I will be coming there tomorrow to get my daughter moved out of the dorm and to look at houses. My husband got laid off from his job here, so we decided to relocate so the girls could live at home and save us some money. We never liked where we live now. He has found a job and is living in an extended stay hotel in ft. worth. I would love to move to ft. worth. They have so many better houses in our price range but we don't want the girls to have to commute that far.

Last edited by Mustang Mama; 5/6/14 at 08:19 AM.
Old 5/6/14, 08:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Mama
I am moving to Denton Texas. I don't want an hoa but most of the nicer homes have them. I am worried about my Mustang being too loud with roush exhaust. Anyone had any problems? I hope to find a non hoa but I may have to suck it up and deal with it to get a nice house. I still have my stock mufflers I can put back on if I have too.
HOA's cannot legislate automobiles beyond the topic of parking. Rev the ***** till the cows come home.

Actually, If you're worried about it, just drive like a sane person until you're outside the boundaries of your 'hood. You should be fine, either way.
Old 5/6/14, 09:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons
HOA's cannot legislate automobiles beyond the topic of parking. Rev the ***** till the cows come home.

Actually, If you're worried about it, just drive like a sane person until you're outside the boundaries of your 'hood. You should be fine, either way.

I would think they would. No one wants a car lot next door. lol. Driving like a sane person is no problem. It is loud on start up and that may **** off a neighbor if our driveway is next to their bedroom. lol. It would rattle the house if I start it in the garage. Where I live now, I don't have any close neighbors to be bothered with it. I'm not looking forward to moving into a neighborhood again but oh well.
Old 5/6/14, 09:57 AM
GT Member

I would think they would. No one wants a car lot next door. lol. Driving like a sane person is no problem. It is loud on start up and that may **** off a neighbor if our driveway is next to their bedroom. lol. It would rattle the house if I start it in the garage. Where I live now, I don't have any close neighbors to be bothered with it. I'm not looking forward to moving into a neighborhood again but oh well.
City noise ordinance is 10pm, I never had a problem and I have an LS with full open side exhaust and Corsa Extreme axle backs.

As for the car lot we have 3 kids that drive so when everyone is at home from school we have 5 drivers; one car is in the garage most of the time so six outside. That's the whole reason we bought a large corner lot as to not park in front of anyone's house. Either in the driveway or on the side. None of our immediate neighbors have a problem becuase we are courteous and don't intrude on their property and make the kids friends park on the side.

River Oaks, we are on Glen Falls. The neighborhood has been good bought here when the kids where little for the schools and will be moving next year when our youngest finishes high school. The plan is to move out to the lake since it will be just the two of us.

Krum, is a great small town we have several friends that live there and really like it.
Old 5/6/14, 10:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, I live in a retirement community - my neighbor said I lowered the average age to 95 when I moved in. I'm working on an engine swap to a 427w. If my neighbors don't like it, there's not a single thing they can do about it because we live in the county. I'm not gonna sit there revving it at all hours, but I go to work around 6:30 am, and the car is ALWAYS garaged, so when it starts, it's gonna be loud. They're just gonna have to deal with it.
Old 5/6/14, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by polarisTXguy
City noise ordinance is 10pm, I never had a problem and I have an LS with full open side exhaust and Corsa Extreme axle backs.

As for the car lot we have 3 kids that drive so when everyone is at home from school we have 5 drivers; one car is in the garage most of the time so six outside. That's the whole reason we bought a large corner lot as to not park in front of anyone's house. Either in the driveway or on the side. None of our immediate neighbors have a problem becuase we are courteous and don't intrude on their property and make the kids friends park on the side.

River Oaks, we are on Glen Falls. The neighborhood has been good bought here when the kids where little for the schools and will be moving next year when our youngest finishes high school. The plan is to move out to the lake since it will be just the two of us.

Krum, is a great small town we have several friends that live there and really like it.
It sounds like I will be okay. I'm rarely out after 10. I would love a corner lot. The one I like the most is in a cul-de-sac. The Krum house looks like it is a corner lot. I'm watching the listings like a hawk. I don't mind a small town as long as it is close. I live in a small town now. It's an hour to good shopping and action. I think Krum would be less than 30 minutes to denton, so that would be good.
Old 5/6/14, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons
Well, I live in a retirement community - my neighbor said I lowered the average age to 95 when I moved in. I'm working on an engine swap to a 427w. If my neighbors don't like it, there's not a single thing they can do about it because we live in the county. I'm not gonna sit there revving it at all hours, but I go to work around 6:30 am, and the car is ALWAYS garaged, so when it starts, it's gonna be loud. They're just gonna have to deal with it.

Well that is good. Sometimes older people can be grumpy. I tend to over worry about things. I don't work at the moment. I will be going back to work once we move and settle in.
Old 5/6/14, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Reading this I see how blessed I have been .... 14 miles to nearest small city, 45 min by interstate to nearest large city, I can go out and pop off a few rounds with no worry, great neighbors next door a few hundred feet away, next nearest is a few hundred yards ..... and I had to read a few posts to understand what a HOA was ..... I forgot they existed.

Last edited by tbear853; 5/6/14 at 06:58 PM.
Old 5/6/14, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tbear853
Reading this I see how blessed I have been .... 14 miles to nearest small city, 45 min by interstate to nearest large city, I can go out and pop off a few rounds with no worry, great neighbors next door a few hundred feet away, next nearest is a few hundred yards ..... and I had to read a few posts to understand what a HOA was ..... I forgot they existed.

Seclusion is nice but I like convenience of close shopping and such. I want seclusion but want to be close to a major city. I live in a small town now. 30 to 60 minutes to good shopping and action. This is the smallest town we have lived in. I have my fingers crossed a nice house will come up with no hoa. We live in an old out dated house now and would like something newer. But newer means hoa and close, close, close neighbors. lol.

Quick Reply: Does anyone, epsecially Texans, live in an HOA neighborhood?