General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

disappearing BP gas stations

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/16, 07:09 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
disappearing BP gas stations

Hi everyone, when I purchased my 2007 gt ten years ago ford recommended I use BP gas only which I have done religiously. I have 50,000 miles of trouble free performance. The BP brand is starting to disappear in south Florida. What brand of gas would you switch to? I don't believe all brands of gas are the same. Thanks
Old 9/10/16, 10:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
They are all the same. Except additives maybe. Gasoline molecules are what they are. It's how clean the gas is and that's totally on the station. They all sell the raw gasoline back and forth to each other, it's the depots where they add the additives like Chevron and their Techron, or Shell with their Nitro... if you want that kind of thing in there. Frankly, I think it's huey for the most part, except that Techron stuff for the fuel injectors.

I have been using Kroger and HEB gas for years now. I have no issues whatsoever. I run fuel injector cleaner in the tank a few times here and there to keep those clean and there ya go. Nearly 139000+ miles daily driven. Still runnin' good.

Oh, and I have been doing this for years and multiple cars to boot. Decades. None of them ever blew up or ran wrong or whatever due to the gas I've used.

Ford only did that because BP paid them for the advertisement. If the octane is right, the car should run the same. Especially in this messed up world of ethanol mix gasolines, you can't be sure what you're getting, and the computer cars know this. They adjust accordingly with their knock sensors and whatnot. Your main concern is proper maintenance and clean gasoline in this case, and run the thing like you stole it a couple of times a week to ensure carbon don't build up or gum up the injectors.

So buy your gas from a station... if it doesn't kill the car, the station's good, and you can probably continue to use it. That's what I do. Works for me.

/In before all the name brand this and that additives show up.
Old 9/10/16, 03:27 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Chevrons techron addictive is one of best out there. From local tests by speed shops, the octane in chevron gas is usually closest to advertised also.
Old 9/13/16, 09:08 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
Still plenty of BP stations in GA and NC so sorry to hear about that in Florida. I also use BP a lot BUT I also have no issues at all with Chevron or Marathon stations here in this part of the southeast. I use premium 93 for two of my cars and mid-grade 89 for the GT. As stated before, it's all in the additives. Run a search for 'Top Tier' gasoline brands and you probably will be fine. Just avoid the run down stations with worn out pumps or bad appearances. It can speak volumes about the storage tanks (water issues) and other issues, especially in FL with the water tables and high humidity.
** An added tip. Use HEET small yellow or red plastic bottles to keep the moisture out of your gas tank. Just $2 at Walmart or $3 at your local auto supply stores. I put in a bottle every other month. No issues in any car. Water is not your gas tank's friend.
Old 9/13/16, 12:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Shell, Nitro+ 93 octane, My 2013 GT loves the stuff.