General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Coyote-Powered '01 Bullitt

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/11, 07:41 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coyote-Powered '01 Bullitt

OK, so it's not exactly an S197, but it IS a 5.0L GT!

Backstory: A flash-flood turned the Vortech 4.6 into a boat anchor. My dad (the owner), has always preferred all-motor to supercharging since he was in HS in the original muscle-car era. So, I told him they had just started making crate 5.0s and offering the control package, so he took it to S&R Performance in Tampa, and the rest is history.

As far as I know (could be wrong), it's the first New Edge powered by the new 5.0. The swap has been done and the car has been daily driven for a couple months, but they've been fine-tuning a few things. Specifically, they retuned the car so it runs great (no stalling) and makes great power across the powerband. The first tune that I drove a couple weeks ago was garbage, honestly. The car now makes 40Xwhp, supposedly. We're waiting on the actual dynosheet, but it feels like it, now. FWIW, the car has custom CAI, custom headers, MAC catback (reused from the 4.6), and a custom dynotune.

Now for the pics:

IMG_1650 by Blainestang, on Flickr

IMG_1657 by Blainestang, on Flickr

IMG_1662 by Blainestang, on Flickr

IMG_1664 by Blainestang, on Flickr
Old 7/4/11, 07:46 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 7/4/11, 07:53 PM
Cobra Member

Now that's bad ***. I always loved that body style ; I just never could swallow the 4.6. I was a 2001 Camaro SS guy when the 99-04's were rolling. The first time I saw the "new 99" was in a Christmas parade in 1998. I always loved the look. If I ever get one, the coyote will definitely be under the hood. Very nice!
Old 7/4/11, 08:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is pretty cool. Very nice job!!
Old 7/4/11, 08:36 PM
GT Member

Thanks guys... we're really happy with the 5.0 so far, to say the least. Now, we need to see how the track times compare with the Vortech 4.6 I think
Old 7/4/11, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've actually met your dad at a local car show...awesome car and very nice sleeper
Old 7/4/11, 08:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Onelildude
I've actually met your dad at a local car show...awesome car and very nice sleeper
Oh, cool. Yeah, he went out to one a few weeks ago or so. The new tune was since then and it's like a new car, IMO.

I need to get back into the Mustang scene more. Is there a local Mustang club you hang out with? Unfortunately, both of my Mustangs are out of commission, and that's why I've been out of the loop, but I need to get working on those and get back involved some.
Old 7/4/11, 09:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

That freaking rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7/4/11, 09:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very cool. Well done.
Old 7/4/11, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blainestang
Oh, cool. Yeah, he went out to one a few weeks ago or so. The new tune was since then and it's like a new car, IMO.

I need to get back into the Mustang scene more. Is there a local Mustang club you hang out with? Unfortunately, both of my Mustangs are out of commission, and that's why I've been out of the loop, but I need to get working on those and get back involved some.
Unfortunately I'm not part of a club. I usually check out the TampaRacing.com site to see where everyone is gonna likely hangout
Old 7/4/11, 09:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Awesome!
Old 7/4/11, 09:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Thats the greatest thing ive seen since i was in florida when girls gone wild came to visit! How much did all that cost ya and where u located? Ive been wondering how it would fit under the hood but now i know for sure it can be done. Plz pm me the info bout the install and evrything else. If this fita then the boss 302 crate should fit too and thts what im goin for. Thanks!!!
Old 7/5/11, 09:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Too cool.
The best of the "new edge" machines with a much improved motor...
Which transmission is he running? If its the Tremec, he may really have the best of both worlds!
Old 7/5/11, 12:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Onelildude
Unfortunately I'm not part of a club. I usually check out the TampaRacing.com site to see where everyone is gonna likely hangout
Yeah, there have been some Mustang clubs around that come and go, but not sure of any right now. I've bought quite a few parts from TR before, so maybe I'll check that out. See you around.

Originally Posted by Pinoy361
Thats the greatest thing ive seen since i was in florida when girls gone wild came to visit! How much did all that cost ya and where u located? Ive been wondering how it would fit under the hood but now i know for sure it can be done. Plz pm me the info bout the install and evrything else. If this fita then the boss 302 crate should fit too and thts what im goin for. Thanks!!!
I didnt do the install, and if you're looking for a real, up to date cost, I'd call the people who did the swap, S&R Performance in Tampa, FL.

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Too cool.
The best of the "new edge" machines with a much improved motor...
Which transmission is he running? If its the Tremec, he may really have the best of both worlds!
Thanks... It's using the factory 3650 trans from the Bullitt. It bolts right up.
Old 7/5/11, 12:32 PM
V6 Member

What did he do for a k member....power steering pump ....and a/c ?
Old 7/5/11, 12:38 PM
GT Member

UPR tubular K-member, which I'm not SURE is necessary. They did that to avoid modifying the oil pan, but then had to anyway... So I don't know if that's really a necessity. I believe they used custom brackets to relocate the PS and alternator to make it all work. I need to get over to the shop and have them give me a rundown of everything they did.
Old 7/5/11, 02:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Loving the crossed-out "4.6L" on the coolant fan. Great build!
Old 7/5/11, 03:52 PM
GT Member

UPR tubular K-member, which I'm not SURE is necessary. They did that to avoid modifying the oil pan, but then had to anyway... So I don't know if that's really a necessity. I believe they used custom brackets to relocate the PS and alternator to make it all work. I need to get over to the shop and have them give me a rundown of everything they did.
Great job on the Bullitt!! I have a Bullitt also,and had been following this swap,when it was first mentioned on the forums.
I assume you used the electronics/computer pack that Ford sells for Coyote crate engine. How did the shop intergrate it with the Bullitt's computer?
What about the fuel system mods needed to work with the computer?
I had heard StangTV or Street Legal TV,was going to do a writ up on it?
Old 7/5/11, 04:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
Loving the crossed-out "4.6L" on the coolant fan. Great build!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mus408
Great job on the Bullitt!! I have a Bullitt also,and had been following this swap,when it was first mentioned on the forums.
I assume you used the electronics/computer pack that Ford sells for Coyote crate engine. How did the shop intergrate it with the Bullitt's computer?
What about the fuel system mods needed to work with the computer?
I had heard StangTV or Street Legal TV,was going to do a writ up on it?
Thanks... yeah, the control package is from Ford. That said, I honestly know very little about how they integrated the computer and fuel system, so I can't really comment on that. I do believe it had to go to a return fuel system with the Ford control package, but that's based on comments from another forum.

*Supposedly*, the car will soon be in 5.0 Magazine, but we'll see. Otherwise, I don't know of anything in the works. Of course, most of my information comes through my dad (the owner), and he's not really into anything except driving it... not the technical stuff or the magazine/write-up stuff, so that's why I'm not 100% on all that stuff.
Old 7/6/11, 07:18 AM
GT Member

Thumbs up

Thanks!

Thanks... yeah, the control package is from Ford. That said, I honestly know very little about how they integrated the computer and fuel system, so I can't really comment on that. I do believe it had to go to a return fuel system with the Ford control package, but that's based on comments from another forum.

*Supposedly*, the car will soon be in 5.0 Magazine, but we'll see. Otherwise, I don't know of anything in the works. Of course, most of my information comes through my dad (the owner), and he's not really into anything except driving it... not the technical stuff or the magazine/write-up stuff, so that's why I'm not 100% on all that stuff.
Blainestang,keep us updated on how your Dad's Bullitt progresses. Maybe a video would be an idea too!
I'm an older Bullitt owner myself too,at 57! Mine now has 20,000 miles,and am tempted about such a swap. Tell Dad,nothing wrong with having a Mustang mag,do a story on his car,had several done on my '85 LX some years ago!
Had some trouble locating this thread,this morning...maybe the '94-'04 forum a better place to have it?
Anyway,many congrats on a unique 2001 Bullitt/5.0 swap....much better,in the long run,or gallop,than a 4.6 blower setup!!!

Pic of my Bullitt doing the best it can with the little 275 HP 4.6
Attached Thumbnails Coyote-Powered '01 Bullitt-bullitt-gets-air.......march-07-2009.jpg  

Last edited by Mus408; 7/6/11 at 07:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Coyote-Powered '01 Bullitt