General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Convincing my father to let me get a GT

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/14, 01:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Tons and tons of solid advice from everyone in this thread.

All I can really say is that I was in a similar spot at a similar age. I wasn't able to get my license until I was 18, at which point I had enough money to buy a used 2001 C5 Corvette with the 350hp LS1. My pops said "that isn't going to happen". Now I look back, and he just didn't want the expense(see fuel and ins.) or a dead son .

My first vehicle, my parents bought me, was a 2002 GMC Sierra 1500. It had a 4.8L V8(debored/destroked LS1) with bolt ons and a built 4 speed trans. It had a whopping 270whp, pushing a 4800lbs lifted truck. Definitely not the fastest thing on road, but at least I had a V8 powered vehicle that could chirp 2nd and 3rd

Fast forward to now at 22 years old, and I have a 2011 GT/CS with the coyote under the hood. My father was a bit reluctant about me owning this for my daily driver, but I told him that I could get in trouble or hurt with any vehicle I drive, and I've demonstrated to him how safe and defensive of a driver I am; as well as my maturity. Oh, and I bought the car myself and I pay for my fuel and insurance. It's hard to tell someone no when they fly to Vegas and buy the car and drive back lol

My old man was also one of the lucky ones to participate in the '60s and '70s, and he was building 600-800hp race engines.(yes, I'm jealous of the old days...I never got to live them lol). He doesn't mind me having a car with power, but I have demonstrated my maturity and willingness to follow through with responsibility. I only have 1 ticket so far, and that was for driving by myself in the carpool lane.

In the mean time, just enjoy what you have bud. I hate to say this clićhe stuff, but there are grown adults that don't have a car, and definitely worse problems than not owning a V8 car. Just be grateful for what you have, just think of me, I didn't have **** at your age hahaha. Patience is a virtue. You'll have a V8 if you really want one some day.

TL;DR - My dad said no to fast cars for my young age, so I bought toys and pay the bills that come with them when I got older! You will too.

Wow, that was a lot of typing on my phone haha.

Last edited by KushBandit; 7/23/14 at 01:56 AM.
Old 8/1/14, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP
I wanted a mustang since I was 16. This was in 2005 when the flashy new mustang came out. Begged my parents to make it happen. They told me to wait. They said I could drive their cars for free (boring family sedans) until I finished to my education. Finally, ten years later I finished my schooling. I am now a doctor. And I can purchase all the mustangs I want. I just purchased a fully loaded gt premium. It was a longggggg wait, but in retrospect it is worth it when you have earned it. Get a good career first. And then you can buy whatever the hell you want, and as many as you want.
Old 8/1/14, 01:47 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hightest
OP
I wanted a mustang since I was 16. This was in 2005 when the flashy new mustang came out. Begged my parents to make it happen. They told me to wait. They said I could drive their cars for free (boring family sedans) until I finished to my education. Finally, ten years later I finished my schooling. I am now a doctor. And I can purchase all the mustangs I want. I just purchased a fully loaded gt premium. It was a longggggg wait, but in retrospect it is worth it when you have earned it. Get a good career first. And then you can buy whatever the hell you want, and as many as you want.
I just sent this post to my daughter, who is 23 and in pre med school and just got her first Mustang, a simple V6 2014 which she loves. She will love what you say, as she contemplates being financially stable eventually!
Old 8/1/14, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hightest
OP
A doctor, eh? Welcome to TMS, Hightest; you just raised the collective IQ of this place by about 15%.
Old 8/1/14, 11:03 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,714 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickstang
A doctor, eh? Welcome to TMS, Hightest; you just raised the collective IQ of this place by about 15%.
IQ? What kind of gas is that?
Old 8/2/14, 02:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
IQ? What kind of gas is that?
Naahh dude, that's the abbreviation for that nitrous stuff. Duh! lol
Old 8/2/14, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks y'all. Been lurking for a long time. Finally feel entitled to post now that I'm part of the owners club.
Old 8/5/14, 08:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
I gave my kids the title to a car when they graduated from college and got a job.
Old 8/6/14, 12:36 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
rule #1 for getting a GT... If you have to ask dad or mom its to soon.

if you can to convince anyone other then yourself then you do not need it.
Old 8/6/14, 12:37 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

IQ jokes from a guy from "boob city" lol
Old 8/6/14, 09:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do I at least get credit for knowing how to spell "IQ"?
Old 8/6/14, 10:33 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Do I at least get credit for knowing how to spell "IQ"?
A+