General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Convincing my father to let me get a GT

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/14, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convincing my father to let me get a GT

ok I need some advice here my dad's the title holder on my car (no he didn't buy it) and I want to get rid of the v6 and get an older GT but he won't hear it, saying I'll have to put gas in it (which I already do with the 6) but I think he thinks I'll kill myself. But the old 5.0 has what, 31 more hp? (225 hp) it's getting annoying. I've had it since I was 13 I'm 17 now. And besides he had some pretty fast cars when he was young, (I know he had a pimped nova ss which he claims would outrun his current m3 and later a 5.0) his father let him, so how can he do this to me? What should I say? Or do?
Old 7/13/14, 10:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Assuming you live at the house, if he says it is not what's going to happen... then wait. Because you live at his house. His rules. You can move out if you want to make your own decisions, such as what car to drive. But I'll grant you that it's not nearly that easy, and you'll quickly find that moving out has it's own challenges of how to pay for the rent and electrics and insurance and...

That said.. you're 17. Plenty of years left to go. The V6 doesn't take as much gas, so there's that, he's right. Leadfoot happens.

The GT isn't about horsepower, although there's that, it's about torque. And it's going to have much more, be that much more different and that much more likely to get it out of control. So much easier to lose traction in a GT than a V6 if you stomp on it.

However, if his argument is you'll kill yourself, ask him, rationally, and without emotion...

"And how would I do that, dad?" And see what he says. And no matter what, the answer is: "Well.. that could happen with the V6, but I've not." If you can be unemotional and factual, and factor in the lesser chances of the V6 getting you in trouble, and still see that you can take a curve way too fast and wrap it around a pole just as easily as the GT, or whatever malarky he's goin' on about... and do it without blowing up emotionally... You *might* have a chance, from the 'killing yourself' standpoint.

But, there is one more consideration... insurance. If you get a GT, the insurance also will increase. Just what it is. You're 17 and I assume unmarried... I've a feeling you're male... AND you want a 'fast car'. Insurance will be through the roof. You are the three highest paying factors (ostensibly), male, 17, and unmarried. Just is what it is. Do you pay for your own insurance? Unlikely, but I could see it. So he has that one on you if it's his insurance you're under.

So, here's what you do. Explore the possiblity of buying it anyway, but also include the fact that you'll be paying more for gas (fact) and that you'll be paying more for insurance (fact). You should try to price it out as a solo act (no father involved) and see where you're at.

But whatever it is... it's still his house. Unless you are fully self-sufficient in every other way, AND pay rent to him, then you are obligated to be under his house rules.

Don't rock the boat. Captiulate this time.. and bide your time. Save the money. You're young. This can wait.

Last edited by houtex; 7/13/14 at 10:32 AM.
Old 7/13/14, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Assuming you live at the house, if he says it is not what's going to happen... then wait. Because you live at his house. His rules. You can move out if you want to make your own decisions, such as what car to drive. But I'll grant you that it's not nearly that easy, and you'll quickly find that moving out has it's own challenges of how to pay for the rent and electrics and insurance and... That said.. you're 17. Plenty of years left to go. The V6 doesn't take as much gas, so there's that, he's right. Leadfoot happens. The GT isn't about horsepower, although there's that, it's about torque. And it's going to have much more, be that much more different and that much more likely to get it out of control. So much easier to lose traction in a GT than a V6 if you stomp on it. However, if his argument is you'll kill yourself, ask him, rationally, and without emotion... "And how would I do that, dad?" And see what he says. And no matter what, the answer is: "Well.. that could happen with the V6, but I've not." If you can be unemotional and factual, and factor in the lesser chances of the V6 getting you in trouble, and still see that you can take a curve way too fast and wrap it around a pole just as easily as the GT, or whatever malarky he's goin' on about... and do it without blowing up emotionally... You *might* have a chance, from the 'killing yourself' standpoint. But, there is one more consideration... insurance. If you get a GT, the insurance also will increase. Just what it is. You're 17 and I assume unmarried... I've a feeling you're male... AND you want a 'fast car'. Insurance will be through the roof. You are the three highest paying factors (ostensibly), male, 17, and unmarried. Just is what it is. Do you pay for your own insurance? Unlikely, but I could see it. So he has that one on you if it's his insurance you're under. So, here's what you do. Explore the possiblity of buying it anyway, but also include the fact that you'll be paying more for gas (fact) and that you'll be paying more for insurance (fact). You should try to price it out as a solo act (no father involved) and see where you're at. But whatever it is... it's still his house. Unless you are fully self-sufficient in every other way, AND pay rent to him, then you are obligated to be under his house rules. Don't rock the boat. Captiulate this time.. and bide your time. Save the money. You're young. This can wait.
You burned me, hadn't put much thought into that... All that aside, I think one reason Is: he dislikes mustangs, he dislikes my car. He won't even ride in it unless it's mandatory, then he acts like its a Piece of junk and becomes very hostile when he rides in it, he says it's ragged out, same with my step mother, they want me to get a Honda or something, and they've even threatened to sell it.
Old 7/13/14, 11:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
How can they sell it from under you if it's yours... unless it's not?

They can't do that, legally, and you might want to explain that to them (nicely, of course) if it's your titled car. If it's theirs... well, it may be that a Honda is in your near future... so don't rock the boat and keep your V6 for now. Again, I'd just put up with it, because the alternative is going to be a problem.

Been there. It's frustrating sometimes at the age you're at, but life is a bit more complicated than cars. If you're ready to go it alone, off with ya. But if you're not, well... might need to put up with the 'rents.

Good dang luck to ya, man. It'll all work out soon enough.
Old 7/13/14, 11:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
How can they sell it from under you if it's yours... unless it's not? They can't do that, legally, and you might want to explain that to them (nicely, of course) if it's your titled car. If it's theirs... well, it may be that a Honda is in your near future... so don't rock the boat and keep your V6 for now. Again, I'd just put up with it, because the alternative is going to be a problem. Been there. It's frustrating sometimes at the age you're at, but life is a bit more complicated than cars. If you're ready to go it alone, off with ya. But if you're not, well... might need to put up with the 'rents. Good dang luck to ya, man. It'll all work out soon enough.
thanks, I think I'll lay off him. and it's a weird situation, I own the car in the fact that I can do anything to it that I want, but he has the title. My granddad bought it for me and held the title, but signed it to dad instead of me for insurance purposes. The threat was real. But I told them that if they even tried I would burn it in the driveway. They shut up after that. And now when I go away for extended time I park the car elsewhere and take the keys.
Old 7/13/14, 01:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
No offense.

You need to pay your dues before you hop into a GT. Start with granny's hand me down 1978 LTD boat then gradually jump to a 93 Camry or moms old minivan.

After that, get the V6 back, work, go to school, make good grades, get a degree and job, and then finance a GT on your own after that.

It's a right of passage as is the passing of the spear in the days of the caveman.

Trust me, you'll end up enjoying that GT more than you ever imagined you would in the long run.
Old 7/13/14, 02:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
No offense. You need to pay your dues before you hop into a GT. Start with granny's hand me down 1978 LTD boat then gradually jump to a 93 Camry or moms old minivan. After that, get the V6 back, work, go to school, make good grades, get a degree and job, and then finance a GT on your own after that. It's a right of passage as is the passing of the spear in the days of the caveman. Trust me, you'll end up enjoying that GT more than you ever imagined you would in the long run.
This. I had my 6er up until this year, and it was always a love-hate relationship (00 V6 auto). I tried so hard to get rid of that car and they wouldn't let me back then. I bought my 03 GT last year, which was a mistake, but it was finally that sense of freedom and V8 noise that I've wanted all my life. Now my 14 GT just ****s all over both of them, and I bought it all by myself. No cosigner. 4.5% APR with credit that isn't as good as it used to be (683 FICO, 640 on Experian).

Bottom line, save up cash to buy a V8 Stang outright, and make sure it is UNmodded (unless minor things like an exhaust and wheels, nothing more..trust me). If you have the money to pay for it outright, they will take you seriously. And don't just save up to the penny, save up extra for repairs and insurance, so by the time you have that much saved up, you can use your wages for mods!
Old 7/13/14, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[/COLOR]
Originally Posted by Supersnake04
thanks, I think I'll lay off him. and it's a weird situation, I own the car in the fact that I can do anything to it that I want, but he has the title. My granddad bought it for me and held the title, but signed it to dad instead of me for insurance purposes. The threat was real. But I told them that if they even tried I would burn it in the driveway. They shut up after that. And now when I go away for extended time I park the car elsewhere and take the keys.
Statements like the one I highlighted lead me to believe that your father is right. You may not be ready for a car like a GT. No offense, but I sincerely don't think it's because he hates Mustangs. What he hates is the thought of getting a 3:00 a.m. phone call from the police that you drove your GT into a tree and are on the way to the hospital in an ambulance - or worse.

As a father of two myself, you simply can't comprehend at your age the fear that goes through his mind EVERY time you walk out the door.

I'm sorry but at 17, a GT is too much for you - it was too much for me as well at 17. I was MUCH older before I had the maturity to handle a vehicle like that. Hell I still struggle with having enough maturity now and I'm 45...
Old 7/13/14, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I never really thought about any of that...
Old 7/13/14, 03:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Most 17 year olds don't. I still don't, to some degree, but having my son makes me think twice...

Trust me, have a goal and save up. I could never do that until this year. Save up like $10k if you can. That should find you a nice unmolested 99-04 GT or even 99-01 Cobra. I'd only buy one lowered if it was done right - Shocks/Struts/Springs/CC plates and everything must be new. No other mods than that, unless MGW or a nice catback.
Old 7/13/14, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nor does anyone else at 17.

If you want to REALLY get him on board with a GT? Instead of putting any money into mods on your current car, show him how well you can take CARE of it instead. Keep it spotlessly clean, make sure he sees you doing maintenance on the car (checking oil, fluids, putting new wiper blades on it), etc. MAKE SURE HE SEES YOU DO IT!

Also, do some research in your area about professional driving courses, then ask him if you can pay for and attend one. Show him that you not only want the power, but that you want to be able to handle it properly.

The biggest thing is not to rail against him on his decision. Fighting him on it will N E V E R work. Always stay calm, cool, and collected on any and all discussions related to the car.
Old 7/13/14, 03:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Cristoff
Nor does anyone else at 17. If you want to REALLY get him on board with a GT? Instead of putting any money into mods on your current car, show him how well you can take CARE of it instead. Keep it spotlessly clean, make sure he sees you doing maintenance on the car (checking oil, fluids, putting new wiper blades on it), etc. MAKE SURE HE SEES YOU DO IT! Also, do some research in your area about professional driving courses, then ask him if you can pay for and attend one. Show him that you not only want the power, but that you want to be able to handle it properly. The biggest thing is not to rail against him on his decision. Fighting him on it will N E V E R work. Always stay calm, cool, and collected on any and all discussions related to the car.
This too. Between 17-22, I've been to 3 high performance driving courses. And I still spun my 00 6er a couple times in the rain - one, my tires were getting pretty low on grip, but with an open diff and auto, wasn't much I could do to steer with my right foot (I tried to save it from coming around versus letting off and steering, which is what the "safe" courses taught versus the "performance" courses taught).
Old 7/13/14, 05:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nor does anyone else at 17. If you want to REALLY get him on board with a GT? Instead of putting any money into mods on your current car, show him how well you can take CARE of it instead. Keep it spotlessly clean, make sure he sees you doing maintenance on the car (checking oil, fluids, putting new wiper blades on it), etc. MAKE SURE HE SEES YOU DO IT! Also, do some research in your area about professional driving courses, then ask him if you can pay for and attend one. Show him that you not only want the power, but that you want to be able to handle it properly. The biggest thing is not to rail against him on his decision. Fighting him on it will N E V E R work. Always stay calm, cool, and collected on any and all discussions related to the car.
I keep it in good condition, and maintained, I've never thought about a driving course though...

Last edited by Supersnake04; 7/13/14 at 05:16 PM.
Old 7/14/14, 04:31 AM
Bullitt Member

[/COLOR]

Statements like the one I highlighted lead me to believe that your father is right. You may not be ready for a car like a GT. No offense, but I sincerely don't think it's because he hates Mustangs. What he hates is the thought of getting a 3:00 a.m. phone call from the police that you drove your GT into a tree and are on the way to the hospital in an ambulance - or worse.

As a father of two myself, you simply can't comprehend at your age the fear that goes through his mind EVERY time you walk out the door.

I'm sorry but at 17, a GT is too much for you - it was too much for me as well at 17. I was MUCH older before I had the maturity to handle a vehicle like that. Hell I still struggle with having enough maturity now and I'm 45...

BINGO!!!!

You are 100% correct IMHO on your advice! Great reply!

OP, show some respect to your dad that cares enough to try and keep you safe. If you told me that you would burn your car in the driveway and I was your dad, you would not be driving that car for quite a while. Being a minor, yes, he legally can take your car if he wants. Plus he holds the title.

In another year, when you are 18 and out of high school, move out, get a job, and support yourself if you can. Then buy the GT if you think you can afford it. Reality will then kick you in the a__!

You probably have it a heck of a lot better than you think and a V6 Mustang at your age is something to be thankful for.

I personally had to wait a long time until I was able to get a Mustang and trust me, at your age, you have plenty of time to get that GT.

Chill out, be kind to your dad and step mom, and you might find you will get more of what you want sooner. Fighting will not help IMHO.

Advice coming from a 60 year old Mustang lover that has been through this myself and had to learn the hard way!
Old 7/14/14, 06:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
You burned me, hadn't put much thought into that... All that aside, I think one reason Is: he dislikes mustangs, he dislikes my car. He won't even ride in it unless it's mandatory, then he acts like its a Piece of junk and becomes very hostile when he rides in it, he says it's ragged out, same with my step mother, they want me to get a Honda or something, and they've even threatened to sell it.
oh pics of Dad and Stepmother?? Call your ins company and see how much ins would be for a GT. Just for the fun of it. Also just drive the 6er until you save up enough cash to buy a GT and pay for ins. Then your parents won't have much to say about it. Did I already ask for pics??
Old 7/14/14, 06:56 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,063 Likes on 666 Posts
Patience. You'll be on your own soon enough and you can drive whatever you like. I remember that time passes slowly when a teen. The day will come for you.
Excellent advice posted here. Start saving that $$ for the car and insurance. You might be stunned at the high cost of insurance and reconsider anyway. My heart goes out to you young guns. It's crazy expensive and I could never have owned some of the cars I did when I was young if the rates were the same as today.
Old 7/14/14, 07:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
In Italian accent-

"Yo kid, for 500 bucks we can come ova there , and set your pops straight, whada you want to do with him? Bag over head? Break few bones here and there? Drive him out to the forest? Fagitabout it."
Old 7/14/14, 08:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

All of you had good advice, except hyperdrive! Thanks. And I guess I am lucky, I've got the 2nd Baddest car at school. Next to an s197 GT owned by a girl. :/ everything else is daily drivers. I remember the first day I drove it there, almost everyone including the teachers (very small school @200 students 1-12 grade) stopped to look at it! I'll keep the sixxer for a while.

Last edited by Supersnake04; 7/14/14 at 09:02 AM.
Old 7/14/14, 09:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Ok I have had all of this happen to me. I have 3 kids. Daughters are the oldest and they are driving. They both have had accidents. One day I get the call that my Daughter is being air lifted to a trauma center and that she was in a very bad ascendent. Less than 3 miles from our house. Her car was hit head on by a Ford F250. Luckily I got her a VW passatt. She is ok but the call still haunts me. She spent a week in the hospital and Ihave spent years worrying about them driving. Today you have to worry about your driving and staying alert and focused on driving andf others that are not.
No offense but by the burning the car statement there seems to be a bit of the story you are not telling. That sounds very arrogant especially for a car that you did not buy. The V^ can be made to handle better and go just as fast. Save your money and get what you want when you get older. The insurance is very high. In Florida my son will be paying over $400.00 a month on a suburban ( the cheapest vehicle to insure for him ).

Be grateful for what you have and be respectful to who gave it to you. You will always get more with honey than with Vinegar.
Old 7/14/14, 09:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Ok I have had all of this happen to me. I have 3 kids. Daughters are the oldest and they are driving. They both have had accidents. One day I get the call that my Daughter is being air lifted to a trauma center and that she was in a very bad ascendent. Less than 3 miles from our house. Her car was hit head on by a Ford F250. Luckily I got her a VW passatt. She is ok but the call still haunts me. She spent a week in the hospital and Ihave spent years worrying about them driving. Today you have to worry about your driving and staying alert and focused on driving andf others that are not. No offense but by the burning the car statement there seems to be a bit of the story you are not telling. That sounds very arrogant especially for a car that you did not buy. The V^ can be made to handle better and go just as fast. Save your money and get what you want when you get older. The insurance is very high. In Florida my son will be paying over $400.00 a month on a suburban ( the cheapest vehicle to insure for him ). Be grateful for what you have and be respectful to who gave it to you. You will always get more with honey than with Vinegar.
the burn statement was me being very angry about him talking about selling it, I was basically saying I wasn't downgrading and I would destroy it before I did. It was more of a scare tactic anyway. I wouldn't have actually done it. I would go to jail!

Quick Reply: Convincing my father to let me get a GT