General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Concerns of a used car

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/15, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Concerns of a used car

Within the coming month I will be purchasing a used 2013 Mustang GT. I'd just like to know if there are any concerns I should have when buying a used 5.0? Any known problems to look out for when I test drive it? This will be my first "expensive" car purchase and I can not afford to purchase a car that will not be reliable for years to come. Any hints, suggestions, or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 6/2/15, 05:49 AM
GT Member

I purchased a used 2013GT last June and here are a few pointers. Check and see if the dealer has any service records esp oil change records. Pull the oil dip stick out and see if the oil is topped off. Look for rear end noise when driving I had to have my rear end gears changed not long after purchase as my rear gears were not right covered under warranty. If it's a low millage car look to see if the tires were replaced if it has like 5,000 miles on the car and it has now rubber why? Did the other owner track the car or burn off the first set that fast? Try and get a car fax on the car. Give it a good test drive.
Old 6/2/15, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Kestral
I purchased a used 2013GT last June and here are a few pointers. Check and see if the dealer has any service records esp oil change records. Pull the oil dip stick out and see if the oil is topped off. Look for rear end noise when driving I had to have my rear end gears changed not long after purchase as my rear gears were not right covered under warranty. If it's a low millage car look to see if the tires were replaced if it has like 5,000 miles on the car and it has now rubber why? Did the other owner track the car or burn off the first set that fast? Try and get a car fax on the car. Give it a good test drive.
Thanks! Did you purchase a manual? And how many miles did you buy it with or suggest buying it with?
Old 6/2/15, 07:35 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
From what you have written so far I think you need to bring an experienced car owner with you when you make a purchase. You don't want to make a financial mistake.
The history of any used car is KEY. There will be very little risk buying a garage kept one owner 2013 car with 5,000 miles on it. There will be huge risk buying a 50,000 miles 2 year old car that was owned by an 18 year old that learned to shift with this car. What exactly are you thinking about buying?? It's all in the details.
Old 6/2/15, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
I would also take a code reader with you (not expecting a CEL on) but if one does pop on you can use the code reader to check the code and know ahead of time and even see about using that as part of your negotiation with the dealer on price (I did with mine and thankfully it was very minor fixes it needed)

I also agree if your not entirely sure what your doing/looking at take a friend (or a friend who is a mechanic) with you for a third party view and be prepaired to walk if you must, there are other cars out there for you too!!

Last edited by Jim74656; 6/2/15 at 09:38 AM.
Old 6/2/15, 09:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Kwollz
Thanks! Did you purchase a manual? And how many miles did you buy it with or suggest buying it with?
Yes mine is a MT and it had about 7,000 miles on it.
Old 6/2/15, 06:34 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Car dealer [ new or used ] or private party? If it's a private party take a look at how they maintain their house and or garage, that can be a hint as to how they take care of their car as well. Ask for service records in any case. Look at the tires, worn edges especially on the front indicates hard cornering. Uneven wear can be alignment issues or worse. Get it in writing that the car has never been wrecked or subjected to flood damage. If a dealer, ask for the previous owner's name and contact information. Call them and ask about the car. A friend of mine bought an SUV with 20,000 miles on it and the dealer gave her the previous owner's name and phone #. They gave her all the info she asked for and she has been really pleased with the purchase. If a manual trans start it and set the parking brake good and tight. Put the trans in 5th. and slowly release the clutch. The engine should stall easily, if not the clutch is slipping/worn. Again if manual trans, is the shift linkage stock or aftermarket? Aftermarket is usually better quality, but it probably indicates that the previous owner was inclined to shift aggressively which can be a little hard on synchros. Not a deal breaker by any means, but something to keep in mind. If the car has had relatively minor accident damage try to find out the details and where the repairs were done and if there is any warranty regarding these repairs. A CLEAN title is an absolute must. This is generally not a problem when buying from a dealer. I'll probably think of some more stuff later, but this should do for starters.
Old 6/2/15, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Concerns of a used car

Bought mine used 3k miles it had the extended warranty I think if the car has a warranty it transfers with the car
Old 6/4/15, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by SilrBult
Car dealer [ new or used ] or private party? If it's a private party take a look at how they maintain their house and or garage, that can be a hint as to how they take care of their car as well. Ask for service records in any case. Look at the tires, worn edges especially on the front indicates hard cornering. Uneven wear can be alignment issues or worse. Get it in writing that the car has never been wrecked or subjected to flood damage. If a dealer, ask for the previous owner's name and contact information. Call them and ask about the car. A friend of mine bought an SUV with 20,000 miles on it and the dealer gave her the previous owner's name and phone #. They gave her all the info she asked for and she has been really pleased with the purchase. If a manual trans start it and set the parking brake good and tight. Put the trans in 5th. and slowly release the clutch. The engine should stall easily, if not the clutch is slipping/worn. Again if manual trans, is the shift linkage stock or aftermarket? Aftermarket is usually better quality, but it probably indicates that the previous owner was inclined to shift aggressively which can be a little hard on synchros. Not a deal breaker by any means, but something to keep in mind. If the car has had relatively minor accident damage try to find out the details and where the repairs were done and if there is any warranty regarding these repairs. A CLEAN title is an absolute must. This is generally not a problem when buying from a dealer. I'll probably think of some more stuff later, but this should do for starters.
Thanks! I will deffinately be keeping these things in mind when purchasing the vehicle, and my main concern is if the car had been "ragged" out or has any major problems that the dealer is trying to hide. If you think of anything else to look out for when buying the car please do share,
Old 6/4/15, 12:07 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I probably should have mentioned this in my original reply. Mustangs are not only one of the most popular muscle/sporty type cars ever, they are also one of the most frequently modified [ modded ] ones as well. Indeed if you can't find parts for a Mustang you really aren't looking. Some of these mods have little if any effect on the factory warranty eg. tinted windows. Others involving mechanical or computer changes can easily void the factory warranty, so if the warranty matters to you keep this in mind. Even tinted windows may have some consequences regarding local or state laws. I have two Mustangs, a '14 GT that I bought new last summer and an '01 six cyl. that I bought used several years ago and is my everyday car. I had the windows tinted on the '14 shortly after I bought it and it was done in accordance with Illinois law. I bought the '01 in Missouri and the windows were tinted by a previous owner. The '01's are noticeably darker and wouldn't pass Illinois law. I've never been given any trouble by the police over it, but if they ever wanted to make an issue over it they could. The lesson being that what is legal in one place isn't always so in others.
Old 6/5/15, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the hood and trunk for paint bubbling! Do a quick search for potential nightmares
Old 6/6/15, 01:14 AM

Thanks to everyone giving me some pointers as what to look for, I will for sure be looking at all of these things and be posting a picture of the car once I have bought it in the coming weeks!
Old 6/6/15, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Me and my brother were looking for a car for him,for the pass 2 months (Challenger R/T, Charger R/T or Pontian G8) my biggest problem was finding a car in perfect exterior condition because holy sh_t people dont know how to drive, every **** used car had always some kind of dents, cracks, scratches, paint issues, wheels curbed all the way around etc.
We finally found an amazing Charger R/T with only 20k miles, with track package and all the options, but it to was not perfect with 2 issues on the body, but it is fixable down the line ( roof and passenger rear door, something fell on the car and left few markings with 3 hail like dents on the panels)
Old 6/6/15, 09:46 AM
GT Member

A car like the Mustang you buy not to just have basic transportation, and sellers and especially dealers know this. Don't be dazzled by a great looking car. A dealer especially will try to sell you the sizzle and not the steak, to use an old expression. Many are skilled in psychology and will say "doesn't she look great" or gloss over details when they don't want to answer.

If there are service bills to show most repairs, then it tells you that that owner cared for his car, and most likely wasn't abusive to it. With a sports car -- Look at the tires. Are they worn evenly? Replaced prematurely?

I walked away from 2 other Mustangs before I settled on this one because the first one had major accident damage (dealer said it was "cosmetic" but carefully inspecting the passenger fender showed this to be a lie.) and the other one had no history at all.

Good luck!
Old 6/7/15, 10:16 PM

I have a buddy who gave into the typical dealer tricks and dress up and ended up purchasing a 2008 gt for the price who could've payed for a 2011 5.0. He became victim of the tricks the dealers play. Thanks out to everyone who is replying! I really do appreciate the feedback!