General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Check engine light after dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/14, 01:23 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light after dead battery

Hey went to start my 2011 v6 which has been in storage for the past 5 months and the battery was dead. I jump started it and let it run for a while. But then I noticed that the check engine light popped on. I diagnosed it with my tuner and this came up.

P2610
ecm/pcm internal engine off timer performance.

I have no idea what any of this means and it's going to bother me until I can get it looked at. Any ideas? Cheers!
Old 3/16/14, 01:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Stacks, these cars are smarter than I am these days. Maybe try disconnecting the neg. cable, let her set for about 15 minutes, and hook her back up. Sometimes that lets the compooters reset, and clear up. Good luck.
Old 3/16/14, 02:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by wanted33
Stacks, these cars are smarter than I am these days. Maybe try disconnecting the neg. cable, let her set for about 15 minutes, and hook her back up. Sometimes that lets the compooters reset, and clear up. Good luck.
It's worth a try, thanks for the help!
Old 3/17/14, 12:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacks Warmen
It's worth a try, thanks for the help!

Hope it works for you.
Old 4/10/14, 08:28 PM
GT Member

Sorry for the revive but I wanted to update in case somebody else experiences this code in the future. Got the car out of storage today. Cleared the code and drove around for a while and it never popped back on, yet. So my guess that this is indeed some bs code.
Old 4/11/14, 07:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Many codes will only pop back on if the fault is detected after driving it a few times. I had a misleading fuel code on my DD that multiple shops couldn't figure out. I would clear it only to have it come back on a day or two later.

After replacing the gas cap, a sensor and a few other things, I gave up and decided to live with it. Down the road I changed out the fuel filter while doing regular maintenance and it never came back on.
Old 5/2/14, 08:07 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacks Warmen
Sorry for the revive but I wanted to update in case somebody else experiences this code in the future. Got the car out of storage today. Cleared the code and drove around for a while and it never popped back on, yet. So my guess that this is indeed some bs code.
Thank you for the update, Stacks Warmen! Also, we have a Vehicle Storage section in your owner’s manual (3rd Printing), on page 301. It gives you the step by step on what to do and look for.

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 5/2/14 at 08:08 AM.
Old 5/2/14, 09:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
Killing your battery probably had something to do with the codes I would bet. if you can help it never let your battery go dead. get a battery tender for storage longer than a few days.
Old 5/2/14, 10:26 AM

I work at Ford and just checked the DTC chart for that code. If I can find any further information I will let you know! If the battery is charged by you clearing it should get rid of it and it shouldn't return in this instance. Just an interference in the module memory from the dead battery. The techs here mentioned when its in storage to prevent that you can disconnect that battery during storage or use a battery tender.

Description:Indicates an error in the internal PCM engine off timer processor. The test fails when the difference between the engine off time and the central processing unit (CPU) time exceeds a calibrated limit for a calibrated amount of time.

Possible Causes:
  • Incorrect or intermittent battery cable connections
  • Keep alive power (KAPWR) circuit to PCM concern
  • Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
  • Engine cooling system concerns
  • Electrical interference around vehicle or PCM
Diagnostic Aids:Verify the PCM, remote function actuator (RFA) and instrument cluster (IC) are at the latest calibration level.

Last edited by JennBober; 5/2/14 at 10:38 AM.