General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Buyers Remorse

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/14, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buyers Remorse

The title tells you that I have acknowledged, that I made a mistake and feel like an idiot for doing it. I know this may be inevitable but please try and reframe from making me feel like a bigger idiot.

So all I have ever driven is a mustang (04 pony auto & 12 stang auto). Well after a couple of years with my last mustang and doing most the mods I had planned on doing (plenty more could have been done, but they where all more expensive mods), I told myself that maybe it was time for a change. Yes I know, BIG MISTAKE! So one day I swing by my local Mopar dealership, which had some really great deals on chargers and challengers (I know...). Anyways, I decided on a Charger R/T Blacktop (figured a rear wheel drive sedan with a v8, smooth ride, nice features, and fit 4/5 adults comfortably was a nice choice). Don't get me wrong I DO really like and enjoy the car, but not having a mustang around is starting to drive me a little crazy.

So I have came up with a couple of solutions: 1) Buy an older model mustang for cheap and make it my weekend project car(Most of the cars I ve seen around my area that interest me are around 2.5-5K). 2) Take advantage of huge incentives and rebates right now and get a new 2014 (some dealers in my area are taking 4-9K off, so I wouldn't really lose out)
Old 4/7/14, 03:22 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,064 Likes on 666 Posts
Everyone has 'been there done that' with car purchases. You are not alone.
The key here is your financial situation. If you enjoy the Charger, and it seems like you do, then get the Mustang as a 2nd car. When I say this, I have no idea if you have garage space for the 2nd car. If you do, then great, but if not, I would hate leaving a Mustang outside exposed to all kinds of weather and critters.
If you decide to buy (and get a great deal) on a new Mustang you will still definitely take a 'hit' on the Charger, but again if your finances can handle a 'hit' then don't worry about it. Look at this way too. If you saved a few grand off that new Charger and then can save a few grand off a new Mustang that will certainly offset the re-sale or trade-in of the Charger.
I'm just going to throw generic numbers out there. You saved $4,000 off sticker for the Charger. You can save another $4,000 off sticker for the new Mustang. In a way you are up $8,000 off list. If you take a $10,000 hit on the Charger you will only be out $2,000 for a 'mistake' purchase. It isn't realistic thinking (unless you are one of those consumers that don't dicker off list prices) but it will make you feel better. As I said before, if your finances can handle it, don't worry about it. Anything in life can spring up and bite you in the butt costing thousands of dollars. This wouldn't be a horrible decision. Be happy with the car(s) you drive. Life goes by quick.
Best of luck!!
Old 4/7/14, 04:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Everyone has 'been there done that' with car purchases. You are not alone. The key here is your financial situation. If you enjoy the Charger, and it seems like you do, then get the Mustang as a 2nd car. When I say this, I have no idea if you have garage space for the 2nd car. If you do, then great, but if not, I would hate leaving a Mustang outside exposed to all kinds of weather and critters. If you decide to buy (and get a great deal) on a new Mustang you will still definitely take a 'hit' on the Charger, but again if your finances can handle a 'hit' then don't worry about it. Look at this way too. If you saved a few grand off that new Charger and then can save a few grand off a new Mustang that will certainly offset the re-sale or trade-in of the Charger. I'm just going to throw generic numbers out there. You saved $4,000 off sticker for the Charger. You can save another $4,000 off sticker for the new Mustang. In a way you are up $8,000 off list. If you take a $10,000 hit on the Charger you will only be out $2,000 for a 'mistake' purchase. It isn't realistic thinking (unless you are one of those consumers that don't dicker off list prices) but it will make you feel better. As I said before, if your finances can handle it, don't worry about it. Anything in life can spring up and bite you in the butt costing thousands of dollars. This wouldn't be a horrible decision. Be happy with the car(s) you drive. Life goes by quick. Best of luck!!
I would first like to thank you for your realistic and sincere response; it was refreshing.

Well I got the charger for 1K over sticker after everything including tt&l, so not bad at all and kept my same payment.

On the 2nd car option, I would like a fox but lately it seems that there values are going up. They run around 4/5 k and still require some work before modding. If not a fox I would like a 99-04 gt manual. Also with this option I would have to wait a few months to save up the cash, unless I get a small loan; which I really dont want to do.

The biggest hoop to jump through with either option is getting the wife to agree :-/. Lol

Like u said, you live, you learn
Old 4/7/14, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
What year is the charger? How many miles are on it? They have grown on me since they brought them back. The after market has a few offerings. The Charger RT is a pretty decent all around ride as far as I'm concerned.
On The other hand
It wouldn't hurt to stop by the local dealership to see what they have to offer. Tell them no trade in at this time and see what kind of price they give you. Of course don't buy no matter what.
On the other hand
I also like your idea about the fox body and thought maybe work your way up to a nicer one, wheeler dealer style. Buy one or any car you can get a GREAT deal on do a few repairs and then sell it for a profit. I just picked up a 2k Jeep Cherokee limited with a rod knock for a song. I'm rebuilding the engine and flipping it. Its my first time doing something like this and so far its been pretty smooth. Knock on wood.

PS
That was a good reply from that NC07 gent.
Old 4/7/14, 04:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
The two big questions are you planning on getting a 2nd car or selling the charger!
And if you are getting a second car what do you plan on doing with the mustang, drag race, auto cross, cruise, daily driver!
I have a 1965 mustang fast back that works well at drag racing, auto cross, and cruising but sucks for DD.
So I bought a new 2014 GT with recaro seats, and track pack for $30K to be my DD.
But to my surprise it does everything the 1965 does but better in stock form!
Except my 65 is a much better cruiser!
So before you do anything you need to figure out what your end goal is!

One last thing, How Could You Go From A Mustang Too A Charger
Old 4/7/14, 06:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Its a 2014 with 3K. I talked to guy from a dealership and they had 2014 gt premium manual with the 19" black machines wheels and rear sensors/security package for 29K. I saw some base gt manuals for 26K. The only problem is that idk if I should get a manual as my dd. I ve seen some base gt auto for 28K.

As for the second option, I would definetely want a manual and it would just be a weekend/drag race car. I also have thought of getting one real cheap to fix and flip my way up.
Old 4/7/14, 07:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll did the exact same thing. I had my 13 base. Did some mods and it looked sweet. Then I got the itch for some V8 power. The 11+ GT was a little out of my price range so I started looking at Chargers. He Mopar guys love them. I also didnt want to go from one mustang to another. On paper there isn't more you can ask for. 4 doors, 340hp, 400lbs of torque and unde. $35k new. I went with a 2009 since I'm not a fan of the current model.

Traded it in 4 months later. I got lucky and didnt lose any money on the trade since I got a smoking deal. I picked up another 13, this time a premium with nav. The problem is I only owed $15k on my previous stang and it had a ton of mods. Now I owe $20 and have to start from scratch. Ended being an $5000 mistake but now I have a premium and couldn't be happier.

I say if you are going to have a large car payment like a new mustang is charger, get something you love and don't settle.
Old 4/7/14, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I had a gt base auto so I wouldnt mind another base auto, but around my area the manuals are soo much cheaper. I just dont know if I should get a manual as a dd. I might go this weekend and see if they can give me a great deal, if not then I m going to wait a little and get myself a weekend project car.
Old 4/7/14, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
Keep the Charger as your daily driver and build something on the cheap and from scratch. Notch, Sn95, s197. Options are many. I would hope you should somehow feel good about going with the Charger. If I had the extra dough, I'd buy one as a daily D.
Old 4/8/14, 01:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Greg, as it's been said "Been there, done that." Might I suggest that if you can hang onto the Charger for a bit longer until the '15's hit the lots the prices on the older models may drop with the introduction of the new generation. Also, you already know you will lose some money if you trade, and the difference in the loss will only be minimal if you wait. As you said, and like me the Wifey will figure into this decision. I waited two years with my less than ideal ride, then started slowly with making suggestions about trading. Some may laugh, but they either aren't married or don't care, and won't be married much longer.

BTW, my situation was with an new F-150. Bought the XLT thinking it would be fine knowing all along I wanted a Platinum. You know how it went after that. Good luck.

Last edited by wanted33; 4/8/14 at 01:33 PM.
Old 4/9/14, 09:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Well hopefully by the end of today I will get some actual numbers on a possible 2014 gt. If the numbers are good I ll probably pull the trigger and if not, then I m going to do some project shopping. I saw a sweet deal on a 98 gt manual, with new paint, cobra wheels, and decent interior for the year, at 2K. Do u all think its a good deal. I know a SN95 isnt the most ideal model but I dont think its a bad price.
Old 4/9/14, 01:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
If it's mechanically decent, and decent being comparative to a '98 model 2K doesn't sound to bad.
Old 4/9/14, 02:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Low ball the heck out of them...... have cash on hand.... wave it in their face
Old 4/9/14, 09:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Update: After talking to a dealer, they offered me a great deal on a 2014 gt fr8 package in gthig manual. At the end of the day, I financed $1500 more than I originally had with the charger. I got the same rate so I still kept my payment under what I had originally wanted with gap. I feel back at home and in love with this car. Thanks everyone for your advise.
Old 4/10/14, 06:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

ummmmmmmm pics or it didn't happen ..... I can't believe we have to ask

no but really congrats! I'm afraid to go to the dealership afraid I might buy something.
Old 4/10/14, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Lol I know the drill. Well i ll get you some better ones by the weekend. I only have the dealerships pics and one of me That my wife took.
Old 4/10/14, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Sry forgot to attach
Attached Thumbnails Buyers Remorse-image-507967970.jpg   Buyers Remorse-image-2271965947.jpg  
Old 4/10/14, 10:00 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by gruiz_06
Update: After talking to a dealer, they offered me a great deal on a 2014 gt fr8 package in gthig manual. At the end of the day, I financed $1500 more than I originally had with the charger. I got the same rate so I still kept my payment under what I had originally wanted with gap. I feel back at home and in love with this car. Thanks everyone for your advise.
You got lucky. Congrats!
Old 4/10/14, 11:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by gruiz_06
Lol I know the drill. Well i ll get you some better ones by the weekend. I only have the dealerships pics and one of me That my wife took.
very nice but you should have been taking the pictures and had your wife stand next to the car. You sure do look happy tho
what is included in the FR8 package?
Old 4/10/14, 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
very nice but you should have been taking the pictures and had your wife stand next to the car. You sure do look happy tho what is included in the FR8 package?
Lol, prolly would have been a better pic. Yea like a kid who just got the toys he s been always wanting. Fr8 is the 19" black machined wheels, color match louvers, glodd black oem spoiler, and gloss black mirror covers.