General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Brembo PP Spare Solution

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/24, 07:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Brembo PP Spare Solution

Recently picked up a '12 with the Brembos... was NOT about to roll around with that stupid kit. Murphy likes to screw with me way too much.

1/2" drive 18" breaker bar - $15 at Harbor Freight
21mm Socket - $3.99 at Harbor Freight
Used 2013-2019 Explore spare kit (tire & jack) - $50 on Facebook Marketplace
1" 24x24" insulation foam board - $6.28 at Lowes
unused pool noodles, scrap 3/8" rubber mat, and 3/4ID PVC pipe lying around the garage - free

A full-diameter spare and peace of mind? Priceless!

Cut the pool noodles so they fit as pictured. put 5" length of PVC in between just to keep them located together. Also, use a dowel rod to shove 1" pieces of PVC equidistant (3x per half) around the inside of the noodles to keep them from collapsing too badly. Cut the insulation foam to fit, then use it to trace the rubber mat. Mat goes underneath to keep the jack from banging against the bottom of the well. Cut a relief (shaped groove) for the breaker bar, jack, and jack handle in the foam. Set everything in and it's all done. Maybe 1-1/2 hours of work, mostly in the foam cutting and shaping.

Pool noodles, some horse stall mat, and some insulation foam. Sorted!

Wheel secures down with the stock inflation kit hold-down hook-screw, plate, and wing-nut

Everything fits flush under the trunk liner, with the raised hub center supporting the thin floor quite nicely.
Old 1/4/24, 06:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,065 Posts
does that wheel actually clear the Brembo brakes?
Old 1/4/24, 07:36 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,221 Posts
He Stated in His Other Post That He Would Have To Swap Wheels Around As It Does Not Clear Front. I Had Same Thought & Caught it in Other Post! Meant to Update! thanks For Bringing it Up!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...2/#post7082746

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 1/4/24 at 07:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bert (1/4/24)
Old 1/4/24, 05:33 PM

As I understand it, this setup would clear the Brembos if I add a 2" spacer. I think that would likely fit to the lower left hand side of the first pic, but have only been able to find them in pairs thus far online. Haven't really flexed the Google-fu yet, just cursory searches.

Edited to add: Just found singles available on eBay (I'd been looking on Amazon). I wouldn't use one of these on a truck to permanently mount different wheels, but to get home after having a flat? We'll see what

Last edited by G-man; 1/4/24 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Added info after additional searches.
Old 1/4/24, 06:10 PM
The Analog Admin!

The Issue With the Spacer is Being Able to Tighten the Spacer First. I Have Been thinking About the Spare Issue For Years. If You Had a Passenger The Brakes Might Do The Job But if Not a Strap Type Fixture Would Be Needed To Tighten Spacer To Rotor. I Envision a Flat Strap With a L Bend At the Top With a Couple Of Holes Drilled in The Strap Where The Spacer Studs Come Out. Ideally Positioned Where You Could Tighten All Five Nuts Without Having to Reposition. The L Would Need To Contact Something on the Car Which was Solid Enough to Take The Tension and Not Be Damaged. Anyhoo that's My Thought!

A High Quality Battery Powered Impact Would Likely Work as Well But Would Have To Store & Hope Battery Was Hot Enough When Needed! I Use Spacers on Some of My Old Cars to Use Late Model Wheels and They Always Want Those Spacers Torqued Pretty Tight!

Btmo,

Kc

Last edited by 05stangkc; 1/4/24 at 06:35 PM.
Old 1/4/24, 07:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by G-man
As I understand it, this setup would clear the Brembos if I add a 2" spacer. I think that would likely fit to the lower left hand side of the first pic, but have only been able to find them in pairs thus far online. Haven't really flexed the Google-fu yet, just cursory searches.

Edited to add: Just found singles available on eBay (I'd been looking on Amazon). I wouldn't use one of these on a truck to permanently mount different wheels, but to get home after having a flat? We'll see what
wow .... yeah those might get you home in a pinch, but I wouldn't go very far or very fast
Old 1/4/24, 08:35 PM
The Analog Admin!

I had a Flat on the Shelby Early on and Used a Stock 17" Gt Wheel in the Back while I Got The Flat Repaired! I had To Drive Like I Had an Egg under the Pedal as it Was Like Driving on Ice With Little traction. A Space Saver Would Be Much Worse as Far As Using on The Rear. Of Course it's 500 Hp To Make Matters Worse. I Can See Why Ford Did Not Want Space Savers on the Higher HP Cars. Some Folks Would Drive Like They Had Normal Tires With Bad Results!

KC
Old 1/5/24, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
The Issue With the Spacer is Being Able to Tighten the Spacer First. I Have Been thinking About the Spare Issue For Years. If You Had a Passenger The Brakes Might Do The Job But if Not a Strap Type Fixture Would Be Needed To Tighten Spacer To Rotor. I Envision a Flat Strap With a L Bend At the Top With a Couple Of Holes Drilled in The Strap Where The Spacer Studs Come Out. Ideally Positioned Where You Could Tighten All Five Nuts Without Having to Reposition. The L Would Need To Contact Something on the Car Which was Solid Enough to Take The Tension and Not Be Damaged. Anyhoo that's My Thought!

A High Quality Battery Powered Impact Would Likely Work as Well But Would Have To Store & Hope Battery Was Hot Enough When Needed! I Use Spacers on Some of My Old Cars to Use Late Model Wheels and They Always Want Those Spacers Torqued Pretty Tight!

Btmo,

Kc

A screwdriver (or the stub on the tail of the jack handle - I need to check) down into the vents on the slotted fronts and spun tight against the caliper is enough to keep them from spinning, and if the flat is on the rear, I can run w/o the spacer. Or I could just set the parking brake. Remember, this is for 'get home at ~50mph' not 'do trackdays'...

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I had a Flat on the Shelby Early on and Used a Stock 17" Gt Wheel in the Back while I Got The Flat Repaired! I had To Drive Like I Had an Egg under the Pedal as it Was Like Driving on Ice With Little traction. A Space Saver Would Be Much Worse as Far As Using on The Rear. Of Course it's 500 Hp To Make Matters Worse. I Can See Why Ford Did Not Want Space Savers on the Higher HP Cars. Some Folks Would Drive Like They Had Normal Tires With Bad Results!

KC
Back during the big snowfall of '04 in Dayton, OH, I drove the ex to work in that '98 convertible. Right past plenty of 4x4 trucks in the ditch. 4x4 just gets you going fast enough to overwhelm the 4-wheel stop easier. And this '12 would run laps around the old '98. It was loud & fun, but not terribly fast.
Old 1/5/24, 08:33 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
I really like the way you put all that together with simple stuff, good ingenuity, looks really good and enough to get to a place to do it right.

I'd like to have a spare in mine, but that's not going to happen unless I just carry it around in the trunk, no alternative I know of for this one.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 1/5/24 at 08:34 PM.
Old 1/6/24, 12:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
I have a Spare mounted on a wheel that although it doesn't fit into the hole in the trunk it will fit on the front wheel and in the back of my pick up with the jack.
Old 1/7/24, 09:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I got a set of the 19" Brembo wheels with snow tires on them for the winter; I keep one in the spare tire well; it sticks up so I can't use the board in the floor and the hold-down is not long enough, I just cover it with a flexible matt and hope it doesn't come flying out of there in an accident
Old 1/7/24, 09:58 AM
Royal Crimson GT PP1 Member

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts
Iuse to run a spare tire kit made for the Brembo equip.PP1 but due to the 305/30-19 and 315/30-19 I run on my 2018 PP1. a dounut type spare is out of the question for me. This is mostly due to the dia more then the width. So I got a Blemished 19x10.5 rim from AM, (cost was about 90 bucks two years ago. sanded and repainted it and installed a resent replaced 305/30-19 on it and stuck it in in the trunk, along with a 3 ton electric sissor jack kit I got from Autozone . I do loose the spare tire cover and space that goes with it but I do like it. And I can install it on both front or back and drive it any distant at any speed. The best part is that it cost less then the Aftermarket spare tire kit.
The video I am attaching will show what it looks like. You dont need to watch the whole video, just the first part. You will get the idea.

Old 1/7/24, 12:50 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 old racer
Iuse to run a spare tire kit made for the Brembo equip.PP1 but due to the 305/30-19 and 315/30-19 I run on my 2018 PP1. a dounut type spare is out of the question for me. This is mostly due to the dia more then the width. So I got a Blemished 19x10.5 rim from AM, (cost was about 90 bucks two years ago. sanded and repainted it and installed a resent replaced 305/30-19 on it and stuck it in in the trunk, along with a 3 ton electric sissor jack kit I got from Autozone . I do loose the spare tire cover and space that goes with it but I do like it. And I can install it on both front or back and drive it any distant at any speed. The best part is that it cost less then the Aftermarket spare tire kit.
The video I am attaching will show what it looks like. You dont need to watch the whole video, just the first part. You will get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhbJi-8TlU4
That's about my only solution too it seems, and pretty much the same reason. Same tire set-up on mine but 20". And even the 20" just barely does clear the caliper on front.