General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Beware....GT Emblem is a wanted item

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/05 | 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was staying with my girlfriend at her house this weekend, and I parked in a "visitors" spot. I came out this morning to take a drive and found the drivers side GT emblem was ripped off. I was fumming man! I am going to have to get this thing replaced, it looks like a very sore thumb on a sweet car.

Good news....$27.00 for the part. I don't know how much this is to replace with labor. Is it just a pop on? Unfortunately, I think there might need to be some paint work done. Look at the three pictures and see if you think this can be buffed out or if there needs to be more done?

Side Note: You know what really ticks me off about this?? Its the fact that I was parked in a so called "visitor" spot, but yet I think this was done because some jerk thinks he/she owns the spot. In this community there are many visitor spots that are to be used for visitors....not just residents. However I think the culprit felt like this particular spot was his.

So as a word of advice...I would make sure any visitor spots you park in are not "owned"...
Old 8/22/05 | 10:11 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Is that gum residue or actual paint scratches?

If its just residue, use Goo-Gone and get rid of the junk, then wash the area and reapply. To my understanding, the GT logo is sticky tape with some locator pins.
Old 8/22/05 | 10:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Bummer :notnice: Well, at least you don't know who did it. I only say this because replacing your GT emblem is alot easier to deal with than Manslaughter charges.
Old 8/22/05 | 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

The part at 50resto.com is $11.00.
Old 8/22/05 | 10:32 AM
GT Member

I hate people who #@#! with peoples cars. Hope karma gets them back twice as bad.
Old 8/22/05 | 10:32 AM
FR500 Member

It looks to me by the way they scratched your car taking the emblem off that thye were not taking it for personal use. These emblems are VERY fragile, and I'm sure the emblem they took off was in pretty bad shape. My guess is you are right about them trying to get you back for parking in "their" spot.

There is no way you'll be able to buff that out... the scratches go below the paint and are probably in the actual fender. If I were you, I'd use this opportunity to have a paint/body shop fill the holes and re-paint the fender smooth. I really like the clean look of not having fender badges. And that way, there's nothing for some idiot to try and take off in the future. Either call your insurance company and claim it so they'll pay for it (that area will have to be bondo'ed and the fender re-painted anyway) or do it on your own. Obviously, you'd need to do the other side as well.
Old 8/22/05 | 10:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well it looks like thye gouged the paint, but 98% wont be seen when you replace it, just maybe a little by the top right of the T area. I would clean it up, maybe touch up paint behind it if it went to the metal.

May look fine after new one installed.

poo like that makes me wanna campout and watch next time I parked there.
Old 8/22/05 | 10:42 AM
I Have No Life

people will steal these emblems from just about any car. My friend bought a new Cavalier Z24 and the next day both of his were stolen. They heavily damaged the paint trying to get them off as well.
Old 8/22/05 | 10:46 AM
Banned

That SUCKS man...........sorry to hear that. Check EbaY for the emblems, you might save a few bucks.
Old 8/22/05 | 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by FireDragon@August 22, 2005, 10:19 AM
Bummer :notnice: Well, at least you don't know who did it. I only say this because replacing your GT emblem is alot easier to deal with than Manslaughter charges.
Haha, word. If you find someone vandalizing your car and you break their leg, is it illegal?
Old 8/22/05 | 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe it's some kid from the ghetto that wants to wear the emblem around his neck, so he can be like:

"Yo boys check me out. I can't even afford a GT emblem much less a mustang, so I stole dis off a car"
Old 8/22/05 | 10:54 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Stoenr@August 22, 2005, 11:44 AM
Well it looks like thye gouged the paint, but 98% wont be seen when you replace it, just maybe a little by the top right of the T area. I would clean it up, maybe touch up paint behind it if it went to the metal.

May look fine after new one installed.

poo like that makes me wanna campout and watch next time I parked there.
Unfortunately, it's a lot less than 98%. You'll see about half of the scratches if you just put a new emblem on without bondo and paint. It's all scratched up between the G and the T.
Old 8/22/05 | 10:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh yeah, its just a GT outline on the emblem, not a solid square. Sorry, This is what I get for not having a GT yet!
Old 8/22/05 | 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by clockworks@August 22, 2005, 10:52 AM
Haha, word. If you find someone vandalizing your car and you break their leg, is it illegal?
Well it's illegal but maybe this qualifies. It's usually used for human relationships, but why not a Mustang? Some people love their cars more!
crime of passion n. a defendant's excuse for committing a crime due to sudden anger or heartbreak, in order to eliminate the element of "premeditation." This usually arises in murder or attempted murder cases, when a spouse or sweetheart finds his/her "beloved" having sexual intercourse with another and shoots or stabs one or both of the coupled pair. To make this claim the defendant must have acted immediately upon the rise of passion, without the time for contemplation or allowing for "a cooling of the blood." It is sometimes called the "Law of Texas" since juries in that state are supposedly lenient to cuckolded lovers who wreak their own vengeance. The benefit of eliminating premeditation is to lessen the provable homicide to manslaughter with no death penalty and limited prison terms. An emotionally charged jury may even acquit the impassioned defendant
Old 8/22/05 | 11:27 AM
Bullitt Member

I think it was some kid that wanted it. If someone was POed about the car space, they probably would have keyed the whole side. Have your G/F keep an eye open for a kid with a flashy GT emblem around his neck.
Old 8/22/05 | 11:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by clockworks@August 22, 2005, 10:52 AM
You should get a reward. :jedi:
Old 8/22/05 | 11:57 AM
I Have No Life

Originally posted by FireDragon@August 22, 2005, 11:09 AM
Well it's illegal but maybe this qualifies. It's usually used for human relationships, but why not a Mustang? Some people love their cars more!

In a lot of cases you can get away with the "crime of passion" as long as you catch the person in the act. 2 guys broke into my 97 GT and were in the process of stealing the amps out of the trunk when I walked up and said "Hello". One bolted and the other looked like he wanted to play so as my girlfriend (at the time) called the cops I introduced the jerk to my driveway. Cops showed up while I was holding the guy down in the front yard. Police asked if they had removed any of my belongings from my yard. At that time I said "not sure". The one office said that unless they had removed something from my property I could not assult him. Of course now the thief is yelling "I want to press charges". Well fortunately his buddy that ran away did have my headunit and they trashed the dash in the car. So he got charged with theft, vandalizm, break and enter and assult because his face attacked my hand

So what I learned was if someone is taken something off of your car while your car is on your property, make sure you don't touch him until he is off of your property.
Old 8/22/05 | 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by PonyGirl@August 22, 2005, 12:49 PM
Check EbaY for the emblems, you might save a few bucks.

yeah you might get to buy your emblem back.

sorry to hear about that man, I would be so mad if it was my car.
Old 8/22/05 | 12:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Haha John, nice move on your part.
Old 8/22/05 | 12:11 PM
V6 Member

They would be lucky to get away with just a broken leg I'll talk to my city attorney and see if I could try a temp. insanity defense...

Quick Reply: Beware....GT Emblem is a wanted item