General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Best way to get out of Tickets

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/05, 12:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got pulled over on my 4th day of owning my new M GT vert. I didn't get out of it but did get it written down to 85 in a 75 when he clocked me doing 103. This is my first ticket in 7 speeding pull-overs and 8 years. I gladly paid it since it was $127 instead of $700.

How I get out of speeding tickets.

First remember cops are used to AH's So be

First rule, let them talk first. They will ask for lic and reg before saying anything give that to them. (don't get it out before they get to the window because it makes them nervouse.)

Then they will say, going a little fast; do you know why I pulled you over, or any other way to engage you into admitting guilt.

Rule 1. Say something like, I'm not sure I wasn't really paying attention. Or if they say going a little fast weren't you? Say, I guess I was, I wasn't paying attention. If they say, do you know how fast you were going? say, I'm not sure, How fast was I going? The officer will tell you. If you say, yea I was going to fast, or I thought I was only doing 3 over you have basically admitted you were speeding and now you are negotiating on the amount and he doesn't give a s---. Remember, You don't know, but aren't disputing it.

Rule 2. Basically tell them to write you a ticket. (or predict what they will be doing for the next few minutes) Say it hat-in-hand like, well I deserve this one, I'll make sure I'll slow down. Or hey it's my fault I was just kinda cruisin along, I'll watch my speed. Or well it looks like I deserve this one. I pesonally say, it looks like you'll be writing me a ticket.

Here's why it works. First don't be stupid, wear your seat belt, open your window all the way, pull over so the officer is safe, and don't have a radar detector (dead meat) etc.

Officers deal with AH's all day. Officers are people that got picked last and hit first for dodge ball--so they wear the badge to get the respect they didn't get in the 8th grade. Nobody is going to order them around or tell them what to do anymore.

Because most cops don't let anyone tell them what to do-----when you tell them "you are getting a ticket" or "to go ahead and give you a ticket" something in their brain goes off and they decide the other way.

After telling officers to write me a ticket I've literally had them say, "If you want me to I will". So I say please don't and I'll make sure I slow down and thank them for doing a good job.

I've gotten out of a 30 over doing this. It may not work for you but it has for me. 0:-)

What have you got to lose? The worst thing is you get the ticket anyway. At least he won't remember you as an AH if you fight it in court at a later date. (hopefully he won't remember you at all.)
Old 5/28/05, 01:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[Quote from dswhalen]
. " Officers are people that got picked last and hit first for dodge ball--so they wear the badge to get the respect they didn't get in the 8th grade. "

You were doing good until this sentence. While funny, it's not necessarily true for 99% of the officers out there.
Old 5/28/05, 03:33 PM
V6 Member

I've been pulled over twice for speeding and gotten out of both

52 in a 35 on my way to school because i was late
i said something like i was a couple mins late for school so i wasnt thinking and i would slow down

and the other one im not sure how fast i was going but i was stopped at some lights and they turned green and i floored it, after the lights there's a corner and then as the road straightens theres a street that crosses it and he was at the stop sign there
there isn't a stop sign for my street so i was just guna fly through
i must have been doing 60 and it was a 25 zone
he said "going a little fast there huh?"
and i said "yea.." really guilty like
when he came back he told me to slow down a little next time, he said its nice to see me wearing my seatbelt (which i always do), and told me to have a nice day
Old 5/28/05, 04:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Actualy the best way to get out of a ticket is.....

*drumroll*

dont break the law!
Old 5/28/05, 04:51 PM
Service Manager

Received 450 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally posted by dswhalen+May 28, 2005, 12:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dswhalen @ May 28, 2005, 12:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Officers deal with AH's all day. Officers are people that got picked last and hit first for dodge ball--so they wear the badge to get the respect they didn't get in the 8th grade. Nobody is going to order them around or tell them what to do anymore.[/b]

I agree, you were doing good until you said this. Maybe funny but FAR from the truth for 99% of the cops out there. Contrary to what you might believe, cops are regular people too and don't drive around thinking they are THE law...they are doing there job and putting in their time.

<!--QuoteBegin-dswhalen
@May 28, 2005, 12:38 PM
Because most cops don't let anyone tell them what to do-----when you tell them "you are getting a ticket" or "to go ahead and give you a ticket" something in their brain goes off and they decide the other way. [/quote]

Not true...how do I know....I have MANY personal friends who are LEO. I can promise you that most of the time, the officer has already decided before he gets out of his car whether or not he is going to write you a ticket.....after that SOMETIMES you can change his mind with your good attitude or talk yourself into one or a worse one.

Some of my best friends are cops.... I hear stories all the time and even sit back and occasionally watch the in car videos that you never see on "COPS". Every one of the LEOs I know decide before they get you pulled over whether or not you are getting a ticket....you can modify the outcome one way or the other slightly by your own behavior.

Very important advice though....if he asks you "Do you know why I pulled you over?"....Don't play stupid...they've seen it all. I had that happen once and told the cop "Yes, I went through the red light".....he said "I only give tickets to those who deny what they did...have a nice night" and let me go. Honesty pays off with Police...after all, they RARELY hear it!
Old 5/28/05, 07:51 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by dswhalen@May 28, 2005, 1:38 PM

Officers are people that got picked last and hit first for dodge ball--so they wear the badge to get the respect they didn't get in the 8th grade. Nobody is going to order them around or tell them what to do anymore.

If you say so!

Your little theory could possibly if the officer hasn't yet made up his mind to write the ticket, it has nothing to do with the way you try to turn the tables on the officer to make him feel like you are doing him a favor by being nice. Sometimes they might have a notion to warn people rather than write a ticket. Being a hiney only hurts you as the driver, and usually results in multiple tickets. If their mind is made up, nothing will save you!
Old 5/28/05, 10:26 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by mobster@May 28, 2005, 6:45 PM
Actualy the best way to get out of a ticket is.....

*drumroll*

dont break the law!
Old 5/29/05, 08:46 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I have yet to get a ticket, not to say It will never happen!

I have always been honest with the police when I have been pulled over- and they have always let me off with a warning. I have a nice collection of those.

My husband however------Has a nice collection of speeding tickets.
Old 5/29/05, 09:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best way to avoid traffic citations is to do the speed limit or within the acceptable range to 10 over. Personally I prefer the speed limit. I have had my license since I was seventeen and had four tickets. Three as a youth and one as an adult. I prefer to have my hard earned money in my pocket rather than the governments.

Most people get tickets because they ignore the posted traffic speed limit signs. The speed limits signs are there for a reason. Its not that the city workers having nothing to do so they but up a bunch of signs for no reason. I found early on from my days of riding motorcycles that if there is a sign for instance that says bumpy road ahead that usually means there is a bumpy road. Speed limits on the other hand are imposed for safety reasons. Engineers actually go out to the road sites at determine what is a safe speed given road use, traffic density and types of vehicles using the road.

Your topic is actually quite amusing until you get to the insulting part about "Officers deal with AH's all day. Officers are people that got picked last and hit first for dodge ball--so they wear the badge to get the respect they didn't get in the 8th grade. Nobody is going to order them around or tell them what to do anymore." Where did you get this crap line from? From your comment it sounds like you where one of the
individuals trying to bully people around in the 8th grade. Personal experience I presume?

Police Constable R.J. Spencer
Old 5/29/05, 04:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by poldrv@May 29, 2005, 8:29 AM
The best way to avoid traffic citations is to do the speed limit or within the acceptable range to 10 over. Personally I prefer the speed limit. I have had my license since I was seventeen and had four tickets. Three as a youth and one as an adult. I prefer to have my hard earned money in my pocket rather than the governments.

Most people get tickets because they ignore the posted traffic speed limit signs. The speed limits signs are there for a reason. Its not that the city workers having nothing to do so they but up a bunch of signs for no reason. I found early on from my days of riding motorcycles that if there is a sign for instance that says bumpy road ahead that usually means there is a bumpy road. Speed limits on the other hand are imposed for safety reasons. Engineers actually go out to the road sites at determine what is a safe speed given road use, traffic density and types of vehicles using the road.

Your topic is actually quite amusing until you get to the insulting part about "Officers deal with AH's all day. Officers are people that got picked last and hit first for dodge ball--so they wear the badge to get the respect they didn't get in the 8th grade. Nobody is going to order them around or tell them what to do anymore." Where did you get this crap line from? From your comment it sounds like you where one of the
individuals trying to bully people around in the 8th grade. Personal experience I presume?

Police Constable R.J. Spencer
Perhaps. I live in a small town where they hire cops for $24K a year. These guys would work for free if they could carry the badge and gun. I do know that the State Police and larger city cops seem a lot more professional. I think there are a lot of cops with authority issues and they seek police work for those reasons. Of course the broad brush isn't a truism but I was trying to make a point. I too know a lot of decent cops, but I have had cops lie in court just to cya. Have you or one of your buddies ever said in court, I was wrong, or I could be wrong?
Old 5/29/05, 07:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by xufima@May 28, 2005, 3:36 PM
I've been pulled over twice for speeding and gotten out of both

52 in a 35 on my way to school because i was late
i said something like i was a couple mins late for school so i wasnt thinking and i would slow down

and the other one im not sure how fast i was going but i was stopped at some lights and they turned green and i floored it, after the lights there's a corner and then as the road straightens theres a street that crosses it and he was at the stop sign there
there isn't a stop sign for my street so i was just guna fly through
i must have been doing 60 and it was a 25 zone
he said "going a little fast there huh?"
and i said "yea.." really guilty like
when he came back he told me to slow down a little next time, he said its nice to see me wearing my seatbelt (which i always do), and told me to have a nice day
Mobster had it right.

This is not a flame but I love these stories about being pulled over for speeding because you were late for work or school. Gonna be later now, ticket or not!

Some guy on another site once posted that he was late for work so he was doing 100+ when he got stopped. After his jail time, massive fine, loss of license, loss of job, and yes, confiscation of his car, I'll bet he wished he had set his alarm for a little earlier.
Old 5/29/05, 07:56 PM
GT Member

Rule 1. Say something like, I'm not sure I wasn't really paying attention. Or if they say going a little fast weren't you? Say, I guess I was, I wasn't paying attention. If they say, do you know how fast you were going? say, I'm not sure, How fast was I going? The officer will tell you. If you say, yea I was going to fast, or I thought I was only doing 3 over you have basically admitted you were speeding and now you are negotiating on the amount and he doesn't give a s---. Remember, You don't know, but aren't disputing it.
I LOVE it when people say this to me. I make sure to quote what they said in the notes section. The judge also LOVES to hear that you say you don't know how fast you were going or even better, that you weren't paying attention. He considers this just as bad as admitting guilt. Because you say you don't know or weren't paying attention he automatically assumes your being unsafe.

Oh and I loved the dodge ball comment. I happened to have been pretty fond of dodge ball in school and for some reason, I usually ended up being one of the last people still playing in each game. Not picked last. Care to get a friendly game of dodge ball going??
Old 5/29/05, 09:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's see here. You have a great looking car, , I'll assume a good playing job to pay for the good looking car. So why on earth would you risk your life running 103mph? :nono: . I went through that faze many years ago and let me tell you. just because the car will run that fast doesn't mean you have to go out and try it. I blew up a motor one night in a '69 Camaro I had trying to see what it would top out at and I also had an '87 GT Mustang up to 145mph going to Nashville :scratch: . It was on the way home when I nearly lost it in the rain following my parents and checking the tires when I got home and finding them nearly bald in the middle that I realized that had one of them blown on me I probably wouldn't be here typing tonight. Yeah, it's a rush to see what your car can and will do but do it on at the track where there's a safety crew.
Old 5/29/05, 09:37 PM
GT Member

In many, if not most, cases the posted speed limits have little to do with safety. Rather they are designed to raise funds for the local government. Generally speed doesn't kill and speed isn't unsafe. Stupidity and dangerous driving are to blame for far more traffic accidents than speeding. (Is it easier for the police to focus on faster vehicles than on unsafe driving? Too slow for conditions and impeding traffic flow come to mind.)

And let's don't confuse high rates of speed with high rates of danger - there is a lower accident rate on the German Autobahn than on US Interstate Highways. Traffic certainly moves faster (and safer) in Germany than in the USA.

The Interstate System, based on the Autobahn, was designed to move traffic at 80 mph. Yet for nearly a quarter century the national speed limit was 55. (This was ostensibly to save fuel, but it achieved little.) At least a generation of Americans were indoctrinated with the mantra "Speed Kills!" There is little or no evidence to support that statement. Indeed according to most of my sources traveling slower than the flow of traffic is much more dangerous than speeding.

I wonder if insurance lobbyists in the state legislatures have some influence in determining speed limits? After all if limits are set artifically low (as they are now) inviting people to violate them and thus get more traffic tickets, then insurance companies can charge higher premiums for these "dangerous drivers."

Thankfully some states are now recognizing the truth about speed; that unnaturally slow drivers are inherently unsafe because the cause traffic to back up and irritate other drivers. In some states drivers who impede the flow of traffic are now being ticketed.

A more enlightened attitude toward speed might make the job of the police more difficult but it will improve the quality of life for the rest of us. We will have to worry less about legal shakedowns from local governments and insurance companies. We will spend less time frustrated in slow traffic because the lane blockers will now be the objects of police officer's attention.
Old 5/29/05, 09:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by flashbang756@May 29, 2005, 7:59 PM
I LOVE it when people say this to me. I make sure to quote what they said in the notes section. The judge also LOVES to hear that you say you don't know how fast you were going or even better, that you weren't paying attention. He considers this just as bad as admitting guilt. Because you say you don't know or weren't paying attention he automatically assumes your being unsafe.

Oh and I loved the dodge ball comment. I happened to have been pretty fond of dodge ball in school and for some reason, I usually ended up being one of the last people still playing in each game. Not picked last. Care to get a friendly game of dodge ball going??
I had a friend who would always say "not really" when asked that question. The response was usually something like, "Maybe this will help you to pay attention". Ticket.

Years ago I was driving with my now ex-wife on I-8 in San Diego near the stadium. Sunday morning about 7:30 and we were on our way to ride our bikes. No traffic but I was doing the speed limit. Up ahead I could see a CHP cruiser that had pulled somebody over. As I got near the other driver pulled onto the freeway and before he got up to speed I passed him. He waved to the CHP and pointed at my car and sure enough I got pulled over.

When the officer asked if I knew why I told him no. He replied that he wanted to show me something. He got a black 3 ring notebook from his car and spent the next 10 minutes reading me all the excuses he had heard over the years. He said that he stopped me because the other guy had been really upset and he wanted to make him feel that his ticket had been justified. Then he looked at his watch, said that he had taken about as much time as he would have to write me up and sent me on my way. I still have a hard time believing that it really happened.

Very strange, but true.
Old 5/29/05, 10:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Silly thread! :sleep:
Old 5/30/05, 02:13 AM
Bullitt Member

The most recent time I got pulled over picture this:

12:30 in the morning. No traffic. Traffic going north and south had greens. The turn lane had its own red light. I wanted to turn west. Looked North and South then looked west then turned.

My buddy said "Dude, I think that was a cop"

I said "where?"

*sees flashing lights in rearview mirrors and turns into parking lot hoping it was just coincidence*

*roll down my window all the way and turned off the radio*

"Hi there gentlemen. May I see your drivers licence and registration please?"

*whip out the old nintendo wallet and panic cause I dunno what the crap a registration looks like. So i had him my city sticker peice of paper. Hes like No thats not it. So then i give him my insurance card and hes like that'll work*

*looks at the registration and my drivers licence*

So Kevin, why did you take that turn?

*thinks to himself cause i thought i could get away with it* Well, I just wasn't payin attention and forgot that you can't turn on red even though the other traffic had green. I'm sorry.

*officer friendly walks back to his car while me and my buddy share stories about being pulled over*

*officer friendly comes back up to the car*

"Here, this explains how the ticket process works for you. (this happened in indiana and i live in illinois). You'll get a ticket in the mail and you'll have 30 days to pay it."

"oh ok officer."

"Heres your licence and registration back and thanks for your attitude"

"hey your welcome have a good night"

*I look over at my buddy* "I knew i shoulda offered him a Krispy Kreme doughnut
Old 5/30/05, 11:19 AM
Service Manager

Received 450 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally posted by Gisarm@May 29, 2005, 9:40 PM

In many, if not most, cases the posted speed limits have little to do with safety. Rather they are designed to raise funds for the local government. Generally speed doesn't kill and speed isn't unsafe. Stupidity and dangerous driving are to blame for far more traffic accidents than speeding. (Is it easier for the police to focus on faster vehicles than on unsafe driving? Too slow for conditions and impeding traffic flow come to mind.)

And let's don't confuse high rates of speed with high rates of danger - there is a lower accident rate on the German Autobahn than on US Interstate Highways. Traffic certainly moves faster (and safer) in Germany than in the USA.

The Interstate System, based on the Autobahn, was designed to move traffic at 80 mph. Yet for nearly a quarter century the national speed limit was 55. (This was ostensibly to save fuel, but it achieved little.) At least a generation of Americans were indoctrinated with the mantra "Speed Kills!" There is little or no evidence to support that statement. Indeed according to most of my sources traveling slower than the flow of traffic is much more dangerous than speeding.

I wonder if insurance lobbyists in the state legislatures have some influence in determining speed limits? After all if limits are set artifically low (as they are now) inviting people to violate them and thus get more traffic tickets, then insurance companies can charge higher premiums for these "dangerous drivers."

Thankfully some states are now recognizing the truth about speed; that unnaturally slow drivers are inherently unsafe because the cause traffic to back up and irritate other drivers. In some states drivers who impede the flow of traffic are now being ticketed.

A more enlightened attitude toward speed might make the job of the police more difficult but it will improve the quality of life for the rest of us. We will have to worry less about legal shakedowns from local governments and insurance companies. We will spend less time frustrated in slow traffic because the lane blockers will now be the objects of police officer's attention.
Compare apples to apples here....the Autobahn is not a fair comparison. First the road system there is MUCH better engineered(capable of supporting high speeds)....secondly everyone goes through MUCH more than we do to get a license. I have driven the autobahn and I wish Americans would drive the same way....in fact...just like Germany..It is illegal to stay in the left lane when not passing another car here but the Majority of Americans are too STUPID to stay in the right lane as they are supposed to.
Old 5/30/05, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by svopaul@May 30, 2005, 12:22 PM
but the Majority of Americans are too STUPID to stay in the right lane as they are supposed to.
I heard they passed a new law stating if your in the left hand lane for more then 2 miles you get a ticket.
Old 5/30/05, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Another thing that helps to keep a cop happy when they pull you over, is to do so in a place where there is plenty of room for them to walk over to your car and not get run over (like a parking lot). Bonus points if you park your car in such a way that is obvious you don't plan to run.

Honesty does work when trying to get yourself off a ticket. A friend of mine was driving back home after a party (after some drinks :nono: ) He didnt realize he ran a stop sign and got pulled over. The cop asked if he had been drinking, my friend said yes. The cop said he apreciated the honesty, and let him go. Same scenario, different friend. Friend gets pulled over on I-10, cop asks if my friend knew why he got pulled over. My friend says because he was swirving (which he was), but the cop said no, because you don't have your headlights on :bang: The cop asked if my friend had been drinking, he said yes. The cop told him to go straight home.

Let this be a leason, dont drink and drive!

Quick Reply: Best way to get out of Tickets