General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Audiophiles! I Need help with wiring android unit

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/23, 03:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Audiophiles! I Need help with wiring android unit

Hoping there is an audiophile out there that can help me. Its not for my Mustang, but for another car.

I got an Android unit I am trying to wire up. Everything works in the Android head unit I bought, but I did have to figure out the wiring situation on my own. Problem I am having is that the back of the unit heats up very quickly even if the unit is turned off. It heats up to the point that it is almost hot enough to burn skin (It least that is what it feels like).

It is not the speakers or anything else, as I only have the 16 pin ISO power plug connected - nothing else. SO I have it narrowed down to that plug at least. But I still can't figure out why it is heating up like that. My wiring seems ok. Hoping someone on here can tell me what I am doing wrong?

The part that gets really hot is right above the power plug on the right. The rest of the back is nice and cool. Just that one part.

The wiring that I did is:

Car's 8 pin power plug (A) to Android ISO 16 pin power plug
pin 8 to pin 1
pin 7 to pin 3
pin 6 to pin 4
pin 5 to pin 8 (I disconnected this to see if it was my problem, but nope)
pin 4 to pin 2
pin 3 not used
pin 2 not used
pin 1 to pin 5 (for reversing camera - works)

Suggestions? This getting really hot thing is concerning. I circled in red where it is getting really hot. I know it is a heat sink, but should it get so hot so quickly even with the speakers not wired?