General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Anyone else prefer the stock look of their Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 12/25/12, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else prefer the stock look of their Mustang?

I bought my '06 GT in March and I had been wanting one for years. After I got it I made a good amount of cosmetic changes to it, new wheels, racing stripes, new spoiler, chin spiltter, etc. Now I really miss the stock look, it's what attracted me to the car in the first place.

I'm going to be trading my car in for a 5 speed '05-09 convertible in a couple months and I definitely plan to leave it stock other than performance and driving mods. I now realize that's where I should have invested my money. It's funny because my dad told me he did the same thing when he was younger and bought his Chevelle SS 454 and he also regretted it. And please don't take this as me bashing anyone who mods their car, I'm not at all. I just got caught up in having a nice car that I wanted to keep upgrading it...forgetting what originally made me fall in love with it in the first place.
Old 12/25/12, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel ya dude, I only added a hood scoop and aftermarket grille to my mustang, but while adjusting to the look of the scoop, I found myself wanting to tear the thing off and return to the sleeker clean look of an entirely stock hood. I personally admire the look of a clean understated fast car. Its like the car is saying "I'm fast, and I'm a bad@55, but I have nothing to prove." If that makes sense. Hahaha.
Old 12/25/12, 11:02 AM
V6 Member

I feel this way, that's why I try and keep it as stock as possible even bought some Brembo wheels to replace my SVE DRIFTS. I plan on doing no more mods on my 11 5.0 I love the way it is
Old 12/25/12, 11:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
ABSOLUTELY! I don't give in to all the 'doo dads' that are out there but I prefer the stock, clean look. In the future it will pay off too

Originally Posted by mrp5150
I bought my '06 GT in March and I had been wanting one for years. After I got it I made a good amount of cosmetic changes to it, new wheels, racing stripes, new spoiler, chin spiltter, etc. Now I really miss the stock look, it's what attracted me to the car in the first place.

I'm going to be trading my car in for a 5 speed '05-09 convertible in a couple months and I definitely plan to leave it stock other than performance and driving mods. I now realize that's where I should have invested my money. It's funny because my dad told me he did the same thing when he was younger and bought his Chevelle SS 454 and he also regretted it. And please don't take this as me bashing anyone who mods their car, I'm not at all. I just got caught up in having a nice car that I wanted to keep upgrading it...forgetting what originally made me fall in love with it in the first place.
Old 12/25/12, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm keeping mine stock except for putting in dual exhaust.
Old 12/25/12, 11:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I think being on a forum makes you look at things a different way. I usually make very minor tweaks to the exterior but change the suspension and other performance modifications. I joined here and see the pictures and get excited about the more custom look and redo my plans. CS lower facia, gt500 spoiler, boss chin spoiler, and rtr wheels start looking really appealing.

I'm lucky that I have to save up money to pay for my mods. During the "cooling off period," I realize how good my car looks stock. Your thread reminds me to keep my GT looking like a GT. it's a beautiful car as is. Thank you for the reminder.
Old 12/25/12, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, forums like these certainly don't help at all! I used to be big into playing guitar and I posted on a bunch of forums. My passion went from playing to buying new guitars, pedals, amps, etc. I should have learned my lesson, haha.
Old 12/25/12, 07:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Stock is better than way overboard, but I want my personal touch on my Mustang. Nothing overboard, just... slightly different here and there, for me.

If y'all like it, great! If not, well...

Only change the 'him' to 'her', and you got it.
Old 12/25/12, 08:48 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I was shopping the other day and saw a completely stock exact version of my car Seven. I did not like. This car is soooooooo much better than that.
Old 12/26/12, 08:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think mustangs are a very easy car to go overboard on with the mods. Partly because there is so much aftermarket support for them, and partly because they do look pretty good right out of the box. That said, is never go back to 100% stock with my car, I think it looks a lot better with the few simple changes I've made to it.
Old 12/26/12, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It just depends on time for me,I had my car looking stock for two years and started to add and change stuff to make it look different, I get bored of the same look of the car over time and by changin makes me love my car again, plus extra performance and handling is always great...

Did I mention the sound system JL W7
Old 12/26/12, 09:44 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Modding your Mustang is fine...........you just need to know when to stop

Old 12/26/12, 09:55 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Modding your Mustang is fine...........you just need to know when to stop
My eyes!!!! They burn!!!!
Old 12/26/12, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Haha, yeah that's really bad. There's a black and red V6 Mustang I see parked near the laundromat I go to every week that is just completely classless. I'll have to take a picture of it next time I see it, it's almost as bad as that blue one.
Old 12/26/12, 10:32 AM
Cobra Member

It is all about moderation along with adding some personal touches... without going over the top. If I could go back in time, I would have ordered mine without the hood scoop and GT trunk spoiler. Then my exterior mods would have been almost nothing. But even now, I think mine looks very unique and clean, without messing with the overall theme of these great looking cars.
Old 12/26/12, 12:08 PM
Cobra R Member

I would only need to put on original 16 inch ponies and would be back to stock. I restored it back to stock and tried hard to use nos parts, nothing like the original not bad I guess when the mods can be removed easy enough.
Old 12/26/12, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oddly enough the one major mod I regret is putting the 19" premium wheels from the '10-12 GT on my car. It looks good, but I keep missing the stock 17" wheels. They just fit the theme of the car better and these 19's just don't seem to flow with the retro body style to me. Same with my GT500 spoiler. I liked it at first, but I prefer the stock pedestal spoiler. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 12/26/12, 07:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mrp5150
Oddly enough the one major mod I regret is putting the 19" premium wheels from the '10-12 GT on my car. It looks good, but I keep missing the stock 17" wheels. They just fit the theme of the car better and these 19's just don't seem to flow with the retro body style to me. Same with my GT500 spoiler. I liked it at first, but I prefer the stock pedestal spoiler. Oh well, live and learn.
If it makes you feel any better, i think it's totally normal that we as enthusiasts sort of flow in and out of 'love' with our cars. I went through a period from October to about the beginning of this month where I was actually thinking about selling my car and then one day I went for a drive and as I heel-toe'd down to second and listened to the V8 snort and crackle between the trees I remembered just why I like this car so much.

Sorry if that sounds sappy or whatever. My point is that don't let yourself get down about your car. Just drive it and enjoy it, and know that you can always make changes. Heck if you're lookin to trade your 19s for some stock 17s with good tires shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out. Haha

Take care my friend.
Old 12/26/12, 10:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Haha, thanks for the offer Kevin but I'm actually going to just trade mine in for a stick shift convertible. I'll enjoy driving it more and then if I want to do any mods, I'll make sure they're to enhance the driving experience instead of the look.
Old 12/27/12, 06:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't want mine to look stock, like all the other cookie cutter Mustangs out there. But I won't go over board either. Research what you plan to do, Look at pictures of other cars with things you might consider before pulling the trigger on the buy.
Half the fun of owning a Mustang is being able to customize it to your own taste. I would rather be an individual instead of one in the crowd.

Last edited by Scuba-Matt; 12/27/12 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone else prefer the stock look of their Mustang?