General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

3 weeks in and what? Am I normal? LOL

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/14, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 weeks in and what? Am I normal? LOL

Well, here we are at about the 3 week mark for owning our new to us 2013 Mustang.

I have only bought: license plate frames and a dashmat (glare cutter), and THAT IS ALL. Am I on schedule? I feel like I should have purchased at least a couple grand worth of stuff by now.....feeling inadequate!

Actually, if my husband would ever AGREE with me on anything, I wouldn't be this far behind, lol.

How fast did you all spend you sheckles after you bought your Mustangs and on what items?

Tami
Old 12/5/14, 12:03 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by TheTaminator
Well, here we are at about the 3 week mark for owning our new to us 2013 Mustang.

I have only bought: license plate frames and a dashmat (glare cutter), and THAT IS ALL. Am I on schedule? I feel like I should have purchased at least a couple grand worth of stuff by now.....feeling inadequate!

Actually, if my husband would ever AGREE with me on anything, I wouldn't be this far behind, lol.

How fast did you all spend you sheckles after you bought your Mustangs and on what items?

Tami

Normal is just a state of mind. Some here, including myself, bought stuff even before we got our Mustangs.

First things first....POST PICTURES....it's the law here.

Seriously, spend some time on this forum looking at cars and colors like yours. Depending on budget, do you want cosmetic changes? Performance mods? Lowering/handling? A little of everything?

There's lots of inexpensive stuff you can do like custom floor mats, Redline hood struts (highly recommended), aftermarket shift **** (if it's a stick) stocking up on proper detailing supplies, removing the sound tube, chrome or billet engine caps....the list is endless.

The general rule of thumb is that wheels come first. It's the one single thing that will make the most visual impact on your car. It's also one of the most expensive things you can do cosmetically.

Hey, take your time, ask questions, look at photos and aftermarket web sites...half the fun is getting confused and overwhelmed.

A bit of advice.....beware of someone named Laserred38. He's the anti-Christ of modification advice. He'll come across as a nice guy at first, but he will make you spend all of your money in no time flat. Pure evil that man.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
Old 12/5/14, 01:26 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I am almost 2 years in and haven't really spent any money at all. So you're on track accordingly lol
Old 12/5/14, 01:28 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
normally within 3 months I have lowering springs and exhaust and speakers.
Old 12/5/14, 02:38 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my new-to-me 2011 just before Halloween, and haven't done anything but wash and drive it! I'm thinking new speakers for the Shaker 500 stereo may be coming up, but I'm in no hurry.

I'm more of an "improve it as the parts break" kind of person. I intend to keep this vehicle for a loooong time.
Old 12/5/14, 04:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I kept my 500 stock for about six months before modding. I spent mine on speed and wheels.
Old 12/5/14, 04:35 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
I kept my 500 stock for about six months before modding. I spent mine on speed and wheels.

I'll be two years at the end of this month and still stock
Old 12/5/14, 04:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Normal is just a state of mind. Some here, including myself, bought stuff even before we got our Mustangs. First things first....POST PICTURES....it's the law here. Seriously, spend some time on this forum looking at cars and colors like yours. Depending on budget, do you want cosmetic changes? Performance mods? Lowering/handling? A little of everything? There's lots of inexpensive stuff you can do like custom floor mats, Redline hood struts (highly recommended), aftermarket shift **** (if it's a stick) stocking up on proper detailing supplies, removing the sound tube, chrome or billet engine caps....the list is endless. The general rule of thumb is that wheels come first. It's the one single thing that will make the most visual impact on your car. It's also one of the most expensive things you can do cosmetically. Hey, take your time, ask questions, look at photos and aftermarket web sites...half the fun is getting confused and overwhelmed. A bit of advice.....beware of someone named Laserred38. He's the anti-Christ of modification advice. He'll come across as a nice guy at first, but he will make you spend all of your money in no time flat. Pure evil that man. Good luck and welcome aboard.

I've already warned her. Worst part is she's local, so it's possible she may see my mods and be pushed even further towards the car part sites.

Btw, I ordered my car on 4/17/14, and had Koni Yellows, FRPP K-Springs (which I sold before I ever installed them), MM CC plates, fog light/headlight/sidemarker tint, shorty antenna, Bob's Autosports oil separator, front mud guards and a spare tire kit ordered by 6/17. My car was delivered the last week of June, my dad and I flew up to SeaTac on 7/5 to pick it up and drive it ~1,000 miles home. I also shipped a box with the light tint, mud guards, shorty antenna and oil separator up to the dealer, so I could install them before I took delivery

I didn't get the oil separator on before the trip home, but installed it as soon as I got home. I put the light tints on before I even signed the paperwork
Old 12/5/14, 04:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I'll be two years at the end of this month and still stock
Does it feel like two years to you? It doesn't to me.
Old 12/5/14, 05:11 PM
Post *****

Does it feel like two years to you? It doesn't to me.

It does not

Well I guess it does and it doesn't
Old 12/5/14, 05:13 PM
Bullitt Member

A bit of advice.....beware of someone named Laserred38. He's the anti-Christ of modification advice. He'll come across as a nice guy at first, but he will make you spend all of your money in no time flat. Pure evil that man.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
Ha! I already have him figured out, and he's already fully engaged with stalking my wallet, lol.
Old 12/5/14, 05:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Still feels like just the other day when I got to the dealership and opened the door, sat in it.
Old 12/5/14, 05:17 PM
Post *****

Still feels like just the other day when I got to the dealership and opened the door, sat in it.

All of them feel like just yesterday really

The oldest one was 7 1/2 years ago. And it's still like new to me. It has the best exhaust and best stereo of all of them. Plus it's black which is the best color for Mustangs.
Old 12/5/14, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Normal is just a state of mind. Some here, including myself, bought stuff even before we got our Mustangs.

First things first....POST PICTURES....it's the law here.

Seriously, spend some time on this forum looking at cars and colors like yours. Depending on budget, do you want cosmetic changes? Performance mods? Lowering/handling? A little of everything?

There's lots of inexpensive stuff you can do like custom floor mats, Redline hood struts (highly recommended), aftermarket shift **** (if it's a stick) stocking up on proper detailing supplies, removing the sound tube, chrome or billet engine caps....the list is endless.

The general rule of thumb is that wheels come first. It's the one single thing that will make the most visual impact on your car. It's also one of the most expensive things you can do cosmetically.
Well, I'm a little all over the board. If this car were orange, or white.....well, I'd have spent a chunk already and would already know what I want, at least cosmetically. But, alas....it is RED. Bright *** Red. Red can only play with so many colors. And then there is my husband, who: doesn't like black wheels, loves the stock wheels (slight ugh here), and pretty much doesn't like anything I like....well, except the car itself!

I may just "do" what I want, and beg for mercy later. Kinda like men have to do when they buy a motorcycle without consulting the wife first (except if I am the wife).
Old 12/5/14, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
I am almost 2 years in and haven't really spent any money at all. So you're on track accordingly lol
That makes me feel a lot better Darren!
Old 12/5/14, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
normally within 3 months I have lowering springs and exhaust and speakers.
That seems like a reasonably short and do-able list. I don't know that I'll ever do exhaust since it isn't a V8, and if I want bad a$$ and loud, I always have my V-Twin motorcycle to ride and listen to instead.
Old 12/5/14, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt
I bought my new-to-me 2011 just before Halloween, and haven't done anything but wash and drive it! I'm thinking new speakers for the Shaker 500 stereo may be coming up, but I'm in no hurry.

I'm more of an "improve it as the parts break" kind of person. I intend to keep this vehicle for a loooong time.
That isn't really me. I'd actually just rather spend a wad on everything at once, and be done :-) Then there is the reality of the wallet....
Old 12/5/14, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Ha, apparently a GT500 wasn't speedy enough? I'm sure this V6 is in slug territory now, compared to your car, lol.
Old 12/5/14, 05:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
All of them feel like just yesterday really

The oldest one was 7 1/2 years ago. And it's still like new to me. It has the best exhaust and best stereo of all of them. Plus it's black which is the best color for Mustangs.
Hard to believe Seven is that old. I will admit it does feel differently to me when I think about the different stages it's been through with the mods, maybe a little closer to the two years.
Old 12/5/14, 05:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

I've already warned her. Worst part is she's local, so it's possible she may see my mods and be pushed even further towards the car part sites.

Btw, I ordered my car on 4/17/14, and had Koni Yellows, FRPP K-Springs (which I sold before I ever installed them), MM CC plates, fog light/headlight/sidemarker tint, shorty antenna, Bob's Autosports oil separator, front mud guards and a spare tire kit ordered by 6/17. My car was delivered the last week of June, my dad and I flew up to SeaTac on 7/5 to pick it up and drive it ~1,000 miles home. I also shipped a box with the light tint, mud guards, shorty antenna and oil separator up to the dealer, so I could install them before I took delivery

I didn't get the oil separator on before the trip home, but installed it as soon as I got home. I put the light tints on before I even signed the paperwork
I know your local, and THAT may be my wallet's downfall, haha. I actually think I'm going to do "handling" first....and then the more cosmetic stuff. Hubs is NOT convinced on that because he doesn't want the ride quality to suffer....for the little he drives it (2 back surgeries and 1 neck surgery later). I on the other hand, drive it a lot on these el crappo Bay Area roads, so looking for a happy medium. Maybe the FRPP all-in-one.

Quick Reply: 3 weeks in and what? Am I normal? LOL