General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

2006 Mustang: News of the Weird

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/06, 05:18 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mustang: News of the Weird

In May, in the midst of the Ford Motor Co.'s "Red, White & Bold," buy-American ad campaign touting its classic Mustangs, the research firm CSM Worldwide (using statistics from the U.S. Department of Transportation) revealed that 35 percent of the 2006 Mustang's content came from overseas, and in fact, that five Honda models and seven Toyota models contained more U.S. content than the Mustang, including Toyota's Sienna minivan, which was 90 percent U.S. [Wall Street Journal, 5-11-06]

http://www.newsoftheweird.com/archive/index.html
Old 6/26/06, 08:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sad, sad (but hardly surprising) news. Irregardless, profits still go to an American owned company.
Old 6/26/06, 09:48 AM
Cobra Member

I always hear this kind of stuff from people who buy foriegn cars and are trying to ease their guilt about buying foriegn... this was probably a press release from Toyota.

Why doesn't this make the "news of the weird":

Foreign auto manufacturers are desperately trying to convince the American public they are as "American" as the American Domestic manufacturers when the domestics automakers directly employ THREE TIMES the number of Americans than ALL the foriegn transplants COMBINED?
I guess it wasn't considered "wierd"? It made the Detroit News though...
Old 6/26/06, 10:34 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
yeah it's getting to the point where american cars are just "assembled" in america
Old 6/26/06, 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Buy what you want! My Chevy Truck was built in Canada and my wife's Subaru built in Ohio? My Mustang tranny...hencho en Mexico! Harley parts are cast in WI by Hmong immigrants who don't speak English. The world is a melting pot of skill and technology and as components are sourced from the highest quality / lowest cost provider you're going to see all kinds of madness.

The NEWS really isn't news if it isn't anything new! Mazak, Mitutoyo, Matsu****a are all common names in CNC manufacturing and machine centers. Even items made in the us are constructed from imported raw materials on foreign machines by second generation Americans.

Buy what you want! You're spending US dollars which you earned. Most of us are only third generation Americans. Loyalty is an ever fuzzy gray line between the FORD emblem on your jacket and the fact it was produced in Israel.
Old 7/4/06, 12:52 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
Buy what you want! My Chevy Truck was built in Canada and my wife's Subaru built in Ohio? My Mustang tranny...hencho en Mexico! Harley parts are cast in WI by Hmong immigrants who don't speak English. The world is a melting pot of skill and technology and as components are sourced from the highest quality / lowest cost provider you're going to see all kinds of madness.

The NEWS really isn't news if it isn't anything new! Mazak, Mitutoyo, Matsu****a are all common names in CNC manufacturing and machine centers. Even items made in the us are constructed from imported raw materials on foreign machines by second generation Americans.

Buy what you want! You're spending US dollars which you earned. Most of us are only third generation Americans. Loyalty is an ever fuzzy gray line between the FORD emblem on your jacket and the fact it was produced in Israel.

What he said...
Old 7/4/06, 06:45 PM
GT Member

Peter DeLorenzo

No.......What Peter DeLorenzo says.

I checked that Detroit News chart but it does not indicate whether
or not the Chrysler people are counted as U.S. or foreign.

2008 Projected total employees:
U.S.-- 328,000
Foreign -- 106,500

So IF Ford/GM go bankrupt and NYTimes gets happy then you can buy
any car you want; employ some Americans; and send ALL profit to
another country; except for the profit on the american made and owned
parts. I'm not saying buy Ford-GM just because they are U.S. but I hope
people will consider them in the future. That of course requires good
product but even the good things happening now are being overlooked
by the media and many consumers.
Old 8/7/06, 01:11 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vermillion06
I always hear this kind of stuff from people who buy foriegn cars and are trying to ease their guilt about buying foriegn...

I don't know anyone who has bought a foreign car (and that represents the majority, by the way) who feels the least bit guilty about it.

Why should they when U.S. automakers built substandard products for 25 years?

How come nobody on these boards ever makes similar comments about cameras, televisions, car audio systems and cell phones? Interesting, isn't it?

What matters is quality and value for the $$, not where it's made.