General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

2005 Ragtop Trunk leak

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/21, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Ragtop Trunk leak

I have been stumped by this for years now. I have a 2005 Convertible V6, and I get water in the trunk. Only on the passenger side, and a beach towel placed correctly collect the water. I swap out with a dry one after a storm, and seems to be keeping rust from forming.
I have tried:
- checked rear spoiler, and even added rubber washers and tightened down good and tight.
- checked for a weld that cracked, hole in reservoir around trunk opening. Even used caulk in some places to make sure water wasn't seeping through welds
- repositioned wiring harness, as I suspected that it was getting stuck between trunk lid and weather stripping, providing a tunnel for water to work it's way through.
- replaced trunk weatherstripping with OEM. Not an easy exercise as, to keep the weather strip one piece, you have to disconnect the above referenced wire harness.

I love this car, have had it for 10 years, plan some day to convert to electric, so I can keep my convertible but stop burning fossil fuels.

Any advice would be helpful. Anybody have a similar experience and figured it out?

Thansk,
Bob G ACE.
Old 5/22/21, 11:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Welcome aboard the forums!

The only real way you're gonna find this is to put a trickle on the top/trunk, and while you're in there, find the leak. Place a garden hose on 'slow' on the top while it's up and let it run down, open the trunk, get inside and have a look.

If it's the trunk, take the seat backs out, top up, put water on the trunk lid and get to lookin'. With a light, of course.

If you've not done this, you won't ever find it. Leaks are funny that way. If you have done this, well... that's weird, you should have found it by now... In which case, gonna have to keep trying, I'd guess... I work at a dealership, this is how it's done there. They don't like chasing these things either.

I hope that helps, and good luck!