General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

05 Mustang GT "trumpeting" exhaust during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/22, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 Mustang GT "trumpeting" exhaust during acceleration

Hi there!
I have seen a few forums posts here and there about the ever so lovely "trumpeting" exhaust-tone when accelerating. However, a lot of those posts are quite old and I didn't really ever see anyone update on what exactly they did to stop the trumpeting-tone. I am hoping I can get some people who have experienced this "problem" and have resolved it themselves - to give me some advice on what I should do (as I am pretty new to the whole aftermarket-car-upgrade-world).

My Mustang is an 05 GT automatic.

I have an aftermarket:
AirRaid CAI
Pypes Offroad H-pipe
Corsa Xtreme Axle-back and Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-back (bought the Corsas after the Flowmaster to help a bit with drone issues)

The catalytic converters were removed with the Offroad H-pipe. Everything else is stock.

I am just hoping to get some suggestions/answers, again as I am pretty new and slowly learning, with what I can do to take out that high-pitched trumpeting when accelerating and ultimately push the car to have a lower, rumble - like it does when idle.

I have seen suggestions of adding back high-flow cats and considering resonators. However, I am wanting exact information, if possible, of what people have done, what specific brands/products they've used, etc.

I really appreciate it! Thank you!
Old 5/25/22, 12:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,065 Posts
I am not sure exactly what is "trumpeting" but I think the cat delete and x-pipe probably are the source of the unpleasant sound you are hearing

PS -- welcome to the forum

Last edited by Bert; 5/25/22 at 01:57 PM.
Old 5/25/22, 01:36 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,763 Posts
Whenever the catalytic converters are removed and either replaced with aftermarket hi-flow cats or with no cats at all, this produces raspy type tone frequencies also known as trumpeting.. I went thru this for a short time when running an off-road setup until I could no longer tolerate it.. Since reinstalling the OEM catted downpipes along with splicing in the Pypes cut "n"clamp X pipe paired with Borla ATAK axle-backs, this eliminated the trumpeting/raspy exhaust tones.

Therefore, I would suggest that you either reinstall the OEM catted mid-pipe and pair them together with your Corsa's or run your current off-road setup and splice in a pair of resonators in front of the rear axle which will cancel out or significantly reduce the frequencies which produce trumpeting and rasp.. Also keep in mind that exhaust companies like Corsa, specifically state in their product descriptions they will only guarantee their systems as being drone free when keeping the stock catalytic system fully in place.

Meanwhile, hope the info provided addresses your concerns and also welcome aboard.
The following 3 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
Bert (5/25/22), houtex (5/25/22), zmc378 (5/25/22)
Old 5/25/22, 04:29 PM

Appreciate the reply and information! So you are saying if I were to get Pypes high flow cats, this wouldn't cut down that rasp/trumpeting? And if you are pushing to look into resonators, are there any that you would or could recommend for me to look into? Appreciate you!
Old 5/25/22, 06:25 PM

Whether it's Pypes high-flow cats or any other high-flow cat manufacturer for that matter, is going to increase the amount of rasp/trumpeting over the stock cats.. Running off-road/no cats at all increase the amount that much more over the stock catted system. Therefore as previously mentioned, if you intend to continue running your Pypes off-road H with no cats, then I strongly recommend splicing in a pair of resonators just before the rear axle.. If you plan on adding high-flow cats? I would also recommend splicing in a pair of resonators as well.. If however you don't wish to add resonators, then your best solution would be reinstalling the stock catted H paired with your Corsa Xtremes.

If by chance you have an interest in looking into resonators, I would highly recommend Vibrant performance, as their resonators are manufactured from high quality 304 grade stainless steel and carry an unlimited 5 year warranty.. Meanwhile, I've already gone ahead and attached a source link below for Vibrant Performance..

https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...dfac50df6d33a1

The following users liked this post:
zmc378 (5/25/22)
Old 5/25/22, 07:46 PM

I am willing to try one more "adjustment" with the Pypes Offroad H-pipe before I ultimately have to go back to the stock cats and h-pipe (if I can't resolve the trumpeting with this last attempt). I don't have to worry about emissions living in Michigan, so I am not worried about the cats if that is not going to help with this trumpeting-tone. I guess it wouldn't be worth spending the money on the cats if you'd recommend that I'd need the resonators as well.

I have seen the Vibrant Performance brand being recommended a few times now, which is awesome! Do you recommend the 18" long resonators over the 12" long ones? I am not really trying to completely kill the loudness of my exhaust setup, as much as just toning down the high-pitched trumpeting that we both obviously dislike.

Again, appreciate the help you've given. Thank you!
m05fastbackGT (5/25/22)
Old 5/25/22, 10:17 PM

As previously mentioned, running high-flow cats will increase the sound frequencies of the exhaust when compared to the stock catted H, which also include raspy and trumpeting exhaust tones.. Therefore, if your main objective is to resolve the trumpeting/raspy exhaust tones, your best solution is to splice in a pair of resonators when running an off-road setup.. So to further address your question, adding a pair of resonators will be far more effective in resolving unwanted exhaust tones over just adding high-flow cats.

As for the resonators, if your just looking to tone down the higher pitched raspy/trumpeting exhaust tones without sacrificing the majority of volume, then I would recommend going with the shorter 12" resonators over the longer 18" resonators, although the longer 18" resonators wouldn't exactly kill the loudness of your exhaust setup, but will most definitely reduce it more versus the shorter 12" resonators..

Meanwhile, hope you'll once again find the info provided as useful
zmc378 (5/26/22)
Old 5/26/22, 06:38 PM

I will definitely grab a pair of resonators then. I was under the mustang tonight and saw that I only have ~20" of pipe after the H-pipe connection to work with (if I go with the 18" to "hopefully" completely kill the trumpeting) before the pipe starts curving. Would you think that the 12" would get the job done with my setup? Sorry for the stupid questions and again, truly appreciate the help!

Old 5/26/22, 11:36 PM

As mentioned before, the 18" resonators will be the most effective in resolving the trumpeting/raspy tones, but you will also notice more of a reduction in overall volume as well.. Therefore, if your looking to reduce the least amount of volume while toning down the unwanted exhaust tones, then I would recommend going with the shorter 12" resonators instead.. However, in the end, only you can determine as to whether resolving the unwanted exhaust tones is more important or just toning them down in favor of retaining more volume

You're also going to need to take measurements to make certain you have enough space after the H pipe and just before the rear axle.. In other words, between the H pipe and rear axle.
zmc378 (6/7/22)
Old 6/7/22, 07:34 PM

Hi again!

I went ahead with the 12" resonators from Vibrant and called around to some exhaust shops to get quotes - didn't feel great about them. I ended up taking it to a local Ford dealership to take a look over the setup and the resonators to give me a quote (having the Ford dealership do the work would also warranty the work for a year or whatever they promise).

I was told by their mechanic that he would rather me have them clamped on instead of welding them into my rear axle pipes - because of the Vibrant resonators being stainless steel. He said that welding the stainless steel resonators to the stock rear axle exhaust pipe won't hold up well. Have you ever heard of this and/or is it something I should be questioning? It sounds a bit insane to me as it seems that the majority of reviews and forum posts that I see people talking about resonators.... they have them welded into their exhaust systems.

I was also quoted 2 hours labor @ $110/hour, which I also find to be a bit.... overexaggerated. Cutting the exhaust pipes and CLAMPING the resonators on is going to take 2 hours? Hmmm..?
Old 6/7/22, 08:53 PM

The only difference between your OEM rear axle pipes over the Vibrant resonators, is the OEM rear axle pipes are constructed from 409 grade stainless steel, where as the Vibrant resonators are constructed from 304 grade polished stainless steel..

The differences between them, is the materials in 409 grade stainless steel isn't polished like 304 grade stainless steel nor is stain resistant, but guaranteed to never rust through.. The materials used in 304 grade stainless steel are constructed from nickel polished stainless steel, which is both rust and stain resistant.. As for what the Ford dealer told you about the Vibrant resonators not holding up very well if welded to the stock axle pipes? I wouldn't see any reason why they wouldn't hold up, as long as their welded with 304 grade stainless material..

However, pairing up 304 grade stainless steel to 409 grade stainless steel may alter the sound frequencies of the exhaust, but I'm not an expert, so this is just my personal opinion.. Personally, I would follow the recommendation provided by your Ford dealer's technician and have the resonators clamped on rather than welded if in the event you should decide to swap them out for the longer 18" resonators down the road, and if the dealer tech is correct about 304 grade stainless steel not holding up very well if welded to your stock 409 grade stainless steel rear axle pipes..

That being said, if you have any doubts about the exhaust work taking up to 2 hours? I would ask your Ford dealer's service manager to confirm both the quote you were provided with and also make certain the warranty they promise, is in writing..

Meanwhile, thanks for following up and keep us posted
The following 2 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
Bert (6/8/22), zmc378 (6/7/22)
Old 6/8/22, 06:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I also like the idea of clamping versus welding for the same reason -- makes it easier to change them out later, if you want to

2 hours at $110/hour does seem a bit high, but I doubt you will get anyone to do it for much less than that; if you are comfortable with that dealer and they will stand behind their work, I wouldn't spend any additional time looking for better options.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
m05fastbackGT (6/8/22), zmc378 (6/8/22)
Old 6/8/22, 08:51 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,063 Likes on 666 Posts
Man, when I first read your post I was thinking, "How cool is that?" I'd like my exhaust to play this at times.

The following 4 users liked this post by NC14GT:
Bert (6/8/22), m05fastbackGT (6/8/22), shaneyusa (6/8/22), zmc378 (6/8/22)
Old 6/8/22, 10:45 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,139 Likes on 818 Posts
That would be one amazingly talented car.
The following 2 users liked this post by shaneyusa:
m05fastbackGT (6/8/22), NC14GT (6/9/22)
Old 6/8/22, 11:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I am glad to see I am not the only one on here old enough to remember the Tijuana Brass! My Dad used to play that album all the time when I was a kid, we loved it!
The following 3 users liked this post by Bert:
m05fastbackGT (6/8/22), NC14GT (6/9/22), shaneyusa (6/8/22)
Old 6/8/22, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by zmc378
Hi again!

I went ahead with the 12" resonators from Vibrant and called around to some exhaust shops to get quotes - didn't feel great about them. I ended up taking it to a local Ford dealership to take a look over the setup and the resonators to give me a quote (having the Ford dealership do the work would also warranty the work for a year or whatever they promise).

I was told by their mechanic that he would rather me have them clamped on instead of welding them into my rear axle pipes - because of the Vibrant resonators being stainless steel. He said that welding the stainless steel resonators to the stock rear axle exhaust pipe won't hold up well. Have you ever heard of this and/or is it something I should be questioning? It sounds a bit insane to me as it seems that the majority of reviews and forum posts that I see people talking about resonators.... they have them welded into their exhaust systems.

I was also quoted 2 hours labor @ $110/hour, which I also find to be a bit.... overexaggerated. Cutting the exhaust pipes and CLAMPING the resonators on is going to take 2 hours? Hmmm..?
I forgot to mention to make certain you have the Ford dealer install the resonators in a staggered position, meaning having one resonator installed closer to the H pipe and the other installed closer to the rear axle.. You do not want them installed parallel/side by side with one another.. The reason, the sound frequencies and exhaust pules are produced differently from each side, therefore, you also want the resonators to cancel out the unwanted sound frequencies in the same manner they are produced..

Originally Posted by Bert
I am glad to see I am not the only one on here old enough to remember the Tijuana Brass! My Dad used to play that album all the time when I was a kid, we loved it!
You're far from being the only one on here old enough to remember Bert! I also remember my Dad playing their albums all the time, along with Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Louis Prima , Jerry Vale and Tony Bennett..
It sure seemed like at the time he did this as his way for tormenting us as kids

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 6/8/22 at 02:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
Bert (6/8/22), zmc378 (6/8/22)
Old 6/8/22, 03:05 PM

The tech mentioned staggering the resonators, but not for the reason you have mentioned. He said he'd stagger them due to lack of room (side-by-side). So I will make sure that he staggers them - even if he ends up measuring to have enough room when he starts this for me. I appreciate your knowledge and help!
m05fastbackGT (6/8/22)
Old 6/8/22, 04:14 PM

The tech may just not be aware of the sound frequency factor mentioned earlier, but as long as he staggers the resonators, that's what matters the most along with best clearance space
Old 6/8/22, 11:22 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,139 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
Yes Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass were played a lot around our household as well. It is not in any of my music, but I still like that sound!
The following 3 users liked this post by shaneyusa:
05stangkc (7/17/22), Bert (6/9/22), NC14GT (6/9/22)
Old 6/9/22, 07:03 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,714 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Yes Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass were played a lot around our household as well. It is not in any of my music, but I still like that sound!
Remember it well myself!

Quick Reply: 05 Mustang GT "trumpeting" exhaust during acceleration