Testing, Help, Site Feedback and Suggestions Test vBulletin's Features and Tell Us What You Like and Don't Like and Offer Suggestions for Improvement

Suddenly can't access from home??!!

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/08, 04:25 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Unhappy Suddenly can't access from home??!!

During the past few days I haven't been able to access the site from home. I've tried on 3 different computers on my home connection and they all give me the same "page cannot be displayed results". I then took my laptop and switched to pick up my sisters wireless upstairs and I get in no problem! No problem here at work either.

No changes have been made to my computers, network, or router. Seem I was on one night, went to bed, and the next morning it went buh-bye! I was thinking that maybe there was some sort of outage between home and TMS, but since my sisters modem upstairs will get in, I kinda ruled that out.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 8/14/08, 07:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No problems connecting with other internet destinations? If that is OK maybe you accidentally blocked the TMS url? Or perhaps your Signifacant Other did it for you!!

Last edited by Tiberius1701; 8/14/08 at 07:19 AM.
Old 8/14/08, 07:33 AM

No, i'm the only one so nobody blocked it. No problems connecting anywhere.

Not blocked in the firewall either. I already checked that and shut it down when connecting and still no go.
Old 8/14/08, 09:05 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Thats odd as anything. I would prob power cycle your modem and router just to be on the safe side and make sure your modem has picked up the latest config files from your provider.
Old 8/14/08, 09:48 AM
The Man... keeping you down.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who's your home provider? Try this web address and let me know if it works:

http://www.filebeam.com
Old 8/14/08, 03:05 PM

That link works okay for me.

I have restarted the modem and even gone in and reset it to the factory defaults so it would be updated.

I have restarted the router and went in there too to be sure nothing was blocked. All is well there also.

Still no luck as of this writing getting in.

Cable provider is Charter in Massachusetts.

I'm thinking that I was assigned a new IP address recently and maybe it is one that is blacklisted somewhere?

Does the website server block any addresses?

Im no expert, but i'm not a novice either, this has me stumped
Old 8/14/08, 06:19 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

The only IP's we've blocked are repeat spammers. PM me your IP address and i'll cross check it.
Old 8/14/08, 08:19 PM

If you can get to that link then nothing on our end is blocking your requests (unless Scott has an IP filter stashed in vB somewhere that I can't see.) Filebeam and TMS are physically hosted in the same rack on the same subnet one IP address apart. Are you using IE or FireFox? Have you tried both to see if it might be a local socket issue? If you have XP or Vista try running this command from the Run or Command Prompt:

Code:
ipconfig /flushdns
What is the exact error code? 404, 403, etc. Try going to https://themustangsource.com and click on the forums link. My money is on a DNS issue.
Old 8/15/08, 10:17 AM

I had tried themustangsource as well a few days ago and that didn't work either.

Last night I tried my sisters computer upstairs on her modem and changed her wireless to connect to mine. I was locked out there too so I assumed it was my modem or router.

I went back to my computer and bypassed the router and went directly from the modem to the PC. It worked! So I figured something was wrong in the router even though nothing had ever changed.

I hooked the router back up, tried to connect, and it worked!

I was ready to blame the router, but all i did was bypass it. I never even unplugged it.

Don't know what went wrong, but as of this morning it was still working. If it was the router, it caused the problem and fixed itself. If not, there was something in the way somewhere that was stopping me and started working again at the same time as the router test.

Strange, but i'm able to connect here now. I'll just have to wait and see if it happens again.
Old 8/15/08, 10:10 PM

What kind of router? A lot of the home-brewed router offerings have slow DNS update routines that can get confused a lot. If you can, set your router to "pass-through" charters DNS settings to your PC's. Most Linksys routers do this by default.
Old 8/16/08, 11:17 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Also wouldnt that be DNS relay? you want that turned off so that your router doesnt act as your DNS server, it lets your modem supply those request.
Old 8/17/08, 10:18 AM

It's a Netgear router. I haven't changed anything in it except for the admin account password. It's all factory default ans set on 'auto' for the dns stuff.
Old 9/2/08, 04:12 PM

Oh-oh... it's happening again! Was fine this morning, come home and no-go again.
Old 9/2/08, 06:04 PM

When you get home set your computers DNS servers to the following:

Code:
If this works, then your local ISP's DNS servers are the problem.
Old 9/3/08, 08:58 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same issue on occasion. I flush dns and that usually takes care of it for a while (ipconfig/flushdns). For quite awhile I could not get to the site at all. I cloned my mac address on my router that helped also . Not sure ehat it did but it worked
Old 9/3/08, 10:06 AM

I'll try both options tonight when I get home.
Old 9/3/08, 04:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll bet your service provider changed something and didn't tell you, same thing happened to me , so I called them they said they had to make a change on thier end and whalla it was back to peanut butter & banana sanwiches.
Old 9/3/08, 04:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I'll bet your router is going bad. I have charter and just went through the same thing.
I called up charter on the phone and listened to their automated system as it put me through all the steps. Finally I had to connect directly to the modem and power down everything and reboot the computer (This included the disconnecting all cables from the modem) When all was powered up again it gave me a new IP address. Everything worked lightning fast. That’s when the system suggested I talk to the manufacture of the router about the problem. We bought a new router and all is well.
Call charter and go thru all the steps. It’s really nice and will not take as long as talking to a person. Hope this helps.
Old 9/3/08, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by GrnT
I'll bet your router is going bad. I have charter and just went through the same thing.
I called up charter on the phone and listened to their automated system as it put me through all the steps. Finally I had to connect directly to the modem and power down everything and reboot the computer (This included the disconnecting all cables from the modem) When all was powered up again it gave me a new IP address. Everything worked lightning fast. That’s when the system suggested I talk to the manufacture of the router about the problem. We bought a new router and all is well.
Call charter and go thru all the steps. It’s really nice and will not take as long as talking to a person. Hope this helps.
The router is fairly new so I would think it wouldn't be a problem, but who knows??

I've had to deal with the techs at Charter in the past. The help you get here at TMS is MUCH better! A few months ago the power went out. When it came back, internet was out. Still out the next day. A call to Charter was made and their response was "we don't have any reports of outages". They also stated they won't investigate an outage until 3 customers complain. Calls had to be made to the neighbors to get them to call and finally it was fixed. So with service like that, we only call when necessary.

Originally Posted by Sendero
When you get home set your computers DNS servers to the following:

Code:
If this works, then your local ISP's DNS servers are the problem.
I reset the router from "automatic from ISP" to the numbers you gave me. Waalaa! I'm on! I then removed those numbers and went back to "auto" and i'm still on.

There are 2 modems in the house. The other one lets me connect when mine didn't. I would assume that they both would connect to the same DNS server.

Maybe the router is a bit flakey. I'll have to see if there is a firmware upgrade. Maybe flashing it will fix whatever is hicupping in it?
Old 9/3/08, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by denlem
I reset the router from "automatic from ISP" to the numbers you gave me. Waalaa! I'm on! I then removed those numbers and went back to "auto" and i'm still on.

There are 2 modems in the house. The other one lets me connect when mine didn't. I would assume that they both would connect to the same DNS server.

Maybe the router is a bit flakey. I'll have to see if there is a firmware upgrade. Maybe flashing it will fix whatever is hicupping in it?
The router/modem isn't flaky, your ISP's DNS servers are flaky. I repeat, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with your computers, routers, or modems. If both modem's are from the same ISP then yes they will use the same DNS server addresses which are assigned by the ISP. Just use the DNS server addresses I gave you in place of your automatically assigned DNS addresses and you'll never have issues. The addresses I provided above are from OpenDNS and I consider them the DNS service to use on the 'net.

Quick Reply: Suddenly can't access from home??!!