Testing, Help, Site Feedback and Suggestions Test vBulletin's Features and Tell Us What You Like and Don't Like and Offer Suggestions for Improvement

Pauses

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/10, 07:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Pauses

While it's not as often as "every single time", it appears to be getting worse and worse.

I can't pin down the exact websites, yet, but some of the ad websites are causing Chrome to wait... and wait... sometimes I have to refresh the page to get it to load... and sometimes that twice.

I don't know if it's a Chrome thing, or not, as I am habitual about using it for here, but I'll switch to my IE8 next time and see what's going on there... if it does the same thing.

Funny thing is, the banners on the top/sides show up, but NOT the content... such as this post... but it says "Waiting for ads.specific.net" or whatever the heck it is at the bottom.

Anyone else seein' something similar?
Old 9/17/10, 08:37 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
While it's not as often as "every single time", it appears to be getting worse and worse.

I can't pin down the exact websites, yet, but some of the ad websites are causing Chrome to wait... and wait... sometimes I have to refresh the page to get it to load... and sometimes that twice.

I don't know if it's a Chrome thing, or not, as I am habitual about using it for here, but I'll switch to my IE8 next time and see what's going on there... if it does the same thing.

Funny thing is, the banners on the top/sides show up, but NOT the content... such as this post... but it says "Waiting for ads.specific.net" or whatever the heck it is at the bottom.

Anyone else seein' something similar?
Good luck. I've been complaining since these guys bought the site and changed server companies but they could care less. The allege its my connection problems and they can't do anything. However, my connections are fine most all of the time when I have the problem with TMS server crap.

I currently have 7 tabs open (IE8). I now keep 2 open to TMS. At LEAST 50% of the time after I click to open a post or thread, the page gets halfway loaded and then just sits there. Spinning. And won't finish the load.

Yet I can open a new tab to my investment home page, refresh a news tab already open, and/or click the same TMS link on the other TMS tab I keep loaded, and all of the above will load promptly. Yet the first TMS tab is still spinning and won't load. In fact the page hung just now responding to your post and I had to click the link on my 2nd TMS tab to get it to open so I could post this.

I'm not a smart enough techie - nor is it my responsibility - to figure anything else out. It is either their server company or its all the extra crap that has to load because of their greedy ad crap. And I even have ad blockers so I don't see them. But obviously the ads - or the loser server company they use - are trying to load to much data or are unable to manage packets of info so the page hangs and hangs.

And I promise I will never buy from any TMS banner or sidebar advertiser because the new owners have significantly lessened my TMS experience. Used to be my favorite site.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/17/10 at 08:42 PM.
Old 9/18/10, 08:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Guys...I made some tweaks that I'm hoping will help you out.

Please let me know if these changes have helped.

Thanks!
Old 9/18/10, 08:28 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Post No Firefox issues

I have been using Firefox all along and have NO issues to report.
Also, one of the computers I use is at least 6 years old with no upgrades.
Old 9/18/10, 08:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Just a half hour ago, I tried IE8 this morning, and it was *awful*.

I then tried Chrome again, and... worse. 0.o

And then it looked like everything was crappola'd... man... Apparently an 'in the night' problem with the routers/cable modem. I reset them all. Dangit.

Unfortunately, this is probably unrelated, as when the pauses are happening here, no other websites are acting up. It's been going on for days. This is the first day in about 3 weeks I've had to reset the modems.

I play City of Heroes (whatevers, right? Hold on...) which is *notorious* for kicking you out if there's any problems whatsoever with your connection, and as of yesterday, when I reported that, it's been fine. I bet this morning it would have been very upset. It's a pretty good indicator of internet issues, which is why I mention it.

I am trying to be fair in reporting this to y'all, but I will keep investigating. If I have anything further to report, I will. I am reporting this because I was trying IE8 like I said I would.

OH, and very interesting... the website itself keeps track of your previously visited stuff. Not cookies in the browser. Nice. A little annoying when trying to get to the same post using 'New Posts', but livable.
Old 9/18/10, 10:40 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I've noticed everything has been slower for the past few weeks on this site.
Old 9/18/10, 05:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, this session of IE8 is going swimmingly overall. A couple of very short pauses here and there, but overall, it's been good. Other websites in IE8 are working fine too. So maybe it's a Chrome thing... Will keep updating.
Old 9/18/10, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

good...I made some changes around 10:40 a.m. today...so anything before that doesn't count.

Let me know.
Old 9/21/10, 07:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, after going back and forth between IE8 and Chrome, it's definitely more produceable in Chrome. Way more. To the point that I will exit Chrome and go to IE8.

Which sucks, because Chrome is my preferred, and only this site is having issues with it. >.<

I don't think it's my machine particularly... and I did clean out Chrome from it's cookies and such. Only thing left is to put it on another machine and see, but...

I guess I'll go IE8 for this. Sigh.
Old 9/21/10, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed aswell.
Old 9/21/10, 09:14 PM
Post *****

Same POS for me....

come on guys... it worked fine before. Scothew had to do a couple of tweaks but it was working real smooth before you came along.
Old 9/22/10, 05:08 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Chrome and IE8 both work great for me . . .
Old 9/22/10, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I've made some additional changes, please let me know if it helps.
Old 9/23/10, 08:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Charlie, you on dialup or something? I am understandably curious what your connection is.

Jon, it seems that Chrome is now workin' good. And I did nothing on this end, so whatever you did last time, looks like it worked here. Lovely experience tonight, fast, no issues.

Not calling it 'done' yet, but looks good for the moment here.
Old 9/23/10, 08:58 PM
Post *****

I have Hughes Satnet. I understand it has slow periods and a bit of delay for the signal, but I have a download and a connection meter - so I know when there's a log jam with Hughes. Plus I can load other pages absolutely normal when TMS is in the sh!tter.
My point for TMS is the regular problems loading/hanging - when Hughes signal is strong and fast and other sites are loading fine. Using IE8.
Old 9/24/10, 09:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ah. Even on it's best day, Hughes isn't all that good. But still, I hear ya, re: other sites vs TMS.

I don't suppose you've run a traceroute on TMS vs others to see if you're in a 'no mans land' of bad router hops? I know of a case whereby a guy in Alaska was getting bad hops to City of Heroes... turns out that his ISP and/or their partners/contractors somehow, just for that, was sending him to *Japan* before he got back to the States. Nothing else did it, just City.

Needless to say, once it was figured out, they got it fixed, and sent him down Canada to get to Virginia or California. Perhaps you're experiencing the same issue. Just a thought. Get PingPlotter Free and plug in TMS and see what you get. Might be surprised at the route. Granted, one of the parts of that route is... SPAAACCCEEE... but still, getting TO Hughes...

Oh, and another thing that comes to mind.. perhaps it's not TMS, but wherever the banners are coming from, if they're not from TMS, that is...

Although, I'm sure you knew all that, and I'm just restating the glaringly obvious... and if that's the case, sorry, man, just tryin' to help out a fellow Mustanger. My bad.

---

Since I'm here, I am going to go ahead and reinforce my previous: TMS is rockin' for me now on Chrome or IE8. Whatever you did, Jon, did good for me.

Last edited by houtex; 9/24/10 at 09:08 PM.
Old 9/24/10, 09:18 PM
Post *****

Although, I'm sure you knew all that, and I'm just restating the glaringly obvious... and if that's the case, sorry, man, just tryin' to help out a fellow Mustanger. My bad.

---
Thanx friend. No I don't know all that stuff. I'm just an end user. But I'll try and run some of your suggestions down.
Old 9/25/10, 09:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Kewl. I hope it helps ya out, Charlie. Let us know!
Old 9/25/10, 10:18 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
The 'slow down' is only on 'this site' for me.

It is running faster now.
Old 9/25/10, 10:34 AM
Post *****

Kewl. I hope it helps ya out, Charlie. Let us know!
The problem has to be this site - not Hughes SatNet... check it out - I've just been surfing the threads for the past 20 mins WITHOUT logging on, and the pages load fine just like my other several sites are this morning.

Then I saw a post I wanted to reply to, so I LOGGED ON. And here come the hanging pages again. Had to open a second TMS tab so one could load while I was posting on another.

I noticed this yesterday but was in a hurry so I tested it today. Also, the flash ad banner at the top does NOT display until I LOG ON.

I think the owners just think I'm raggin. But I am investing my time posting the problems in detail and doing my utmost to stay here while I (beyond) patiently wait for them to get a tech that knows how to fix whatever they screwed up after Brad left.

Quick Reply: Pauses