Testing, Help, Site Feedback and Suggestions Test vBulletin's Features and Tell Us What You Like and Don't Like and Offer Suggestions for Improvement

No images in signatures?

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/07, 09:47 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 152 Likes on 115 Posts
i do forget sometimes how terrible slow my home dial up is .. faster stuff at work
Old 2/21/07, 07:53 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Whenever I'm on a forum with pics in the sigs it takes forever to load the page! I'm stuck with dial-up and I get fed up and stay away from those sites. I really don't want to have pics in the sigs and I'm all for the gallery!!
Old 2/22/07, 02:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good to hear a reason why. I think it would be a good option available for the user to turn off that way those who want it can add it and those who dont (dialup users and such) can turn it off.

Originally Posted by Sendero
That's exactly the reasons why its not turned on, to make people think before they speak. The only plausible reasons I can discern as to why someone would need a delete function is to remove a double post, but thats why we have Moderators and Administrators.

Guys/Girls, "Pics in Sigs" is always a debated topic amongst the staff. One of the main reasons it is turned off is because of the "clutter factor" and the ability to cause problems for other members. Kind of like when someone creates a pic and hosts it at photobucket, then links it to every board they are a member of. Guess what happens when they go over their bandwidth limit? We get a big ugly warning message that breaks frames and "slows the forum down" as the user sees it. Also, "red X" pics can cause page load times on the user side to go from 2 seconds to 20 seconds as IE and Firefox wait their default timeout periods before showing the "red X". Dial-up users usually spend three times the amount of time browsing the forums than before. Then you have the questionable content that always seeps into sigs after a while. Why is this such a big deal? Well, this has been and always will be a site geared for a family enviroment. Nothing like showing your 4 year old daughter some great pictures of 93 Saleen and then have her say "Daddy, why is that lady in her birthday suit?"

If you are wanting to see pictures of people's cars, we are working on a Gallery to do just that. Hopefully we will be able to intergrate it directly into a users profile so you'll just have one click to see a users ride. As for "pics in sigs", we are discussing it but there hasn't been any real progress "for" it lately. But, keep giving us your opinion and let us know if this is something you would like. If there is enough support, we can definately look at how we can work the solution and make it feasable for both sides. Thanks for your support!
Old 2/22/07, 08:10 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This site seems to be going down 4 nights a week lately. The last thing we need is something else to slow it down.
Old 2/23/07, 10:00 AM
The Man... keeping you down.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
This site seems to be going down 4 nights a week lately. The last thing we need is something else to slow it down.
What timeframe? If its after midnight (ie 12am to 4am), then you're within the backup window where the server limits forum connections so it can complete its backup of the forum database. But it doesn't backup 4 times a week.
Old 2/23/07, 12:47 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by Sendero
What timeframe? If its after midnight (ie 12am to 4am), then you're within the backup window where the server limits forum connections so it can complete its backup of the forum database. But it doesn't backup 4 times a week.
I'll take note and put a post here next time it happens. But it's been happening a lot the last 2 weeks where I can't get in and my connection times out. I've had the problem on both my work computer (company DSL - I think), and home computer - RoadRunner cable modem.
Old 2/27/07, 07:06 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I'll take note and put a post here next time it happens. But it's been happening a lot the last 2 weeks where I can't get in and my connection times out. I've had the problem on both my work computer (company DSL - I think), and home computer - RoadRunner cable modem.
Posting as promised.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=60451 - this is what's been happening.