Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

Winterize/Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10/24/11, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winterize/Oil Change

I live in the northeast and will be putting my V6 Mustang with a little less than 3,000 miles in the garage for the winter. I was wondering if I should have the oil changed before I garage it for the winter, or have the oil changed after the car comes out of hibernation in the spring. How do others handle the hibernation of their cars over the winter?
Thanks for your help,
Joe T
Old 10/24/11, 05:51 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I change the oil just before going into storage - to get any blow-by contaminants out of the crankcase. (If you use an oil separator you'll know what I mean.) Then in spring the oil is clean and ready to go.
I fill the tank with fuel with Sta-Bil added. Pump the tires up to about 36.
I still fire it up every 4-6 weeks and slowly drive it out to the highway until it comes fully up to temp (the fan comes on). Keeps the battery charged and any seals in the engine/diff/trans lubricated.
So far so good. 3 winters stored, no leaks or drips. 15k miles as of now.
Old 10/24/11, 05:59 PM

Charliehorse,
Thanks for the advise
Old 10/24/11, 06:10 PM
MJN
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I change the oil just before going into storage - to get any blow-by contaminants out of the crankcase. (If you use an oil separator you'll know what I mean.) Then in spring the oil is clean and ready to go.
I fill the tank with fuel with Sta-Bil added. Pump the tires up to about 36.
I still fire it up every 4-6 weeks and slowly drive it out to the highway until it comes fully up to temp (the fan comes on). Keeps the battery charged and any seals in the engine/diff/trans lubricated.
So far so good. 3 winters stored, no leaks or drips. 15k miles as of now.

May not be a mustang yet but I do about the same just make sure good and clean with a fresh wax, a good battery maintainer if are able to plug one in, if so I don't start it unless like stated comes up to full operating temp to burn off any moisture in the engine. I also use a nice car cover and a plastic baggie on the exhaust with a rubber band holding in place. I read once a article in Hagerty that the platic bag helped with moisture and also any critters. Then just sit back clear the snow and be ready for it to melt and the sun to shine again!