Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

Learning how to take pictures

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/08, 04:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learning how to take pictures

The story -- I just bought my new car and a new camera in hopes that I could take pictures almost as good as you guys. My camera is one of those "idiot proof" point and shoot digitals. I noticed almost all of my pictures didn't look as good as yours even when I was taking them at the same angle. The best picture in my group was one from a long distance. I realized what was going on.

My camera has a zoom feature. When you turn it on it's at its widest setting. This is what I was doing to take my pictures. When I use the zoom, the perspective changes dramatically.

I attached a collage of pictures that shows the effect of default (wide) setting vs using various zoom settings. I tried to take each picture at the exact same angle and having the car fill up the same amount of space in the LCD screen (viewfinder).

Big difference, huh? I begin to like the images towards the end of the zoom range, which is probably about 90mm in 35mm SLR speak. They appear more natural to me.

Now, I have to remember to use the zoom when I'm at car shows taking pictures of everyone else's rides.

edit: The downside is having to stand further back.
Attached Thumbnails Learning how to take pictures-collage-zoom-tutorial-1024x512.jpg  
Old 2/11/08, 05:08 PM
GT Member

Don't see anything "wrong" with the pictures... Gotta love the Vista Blue! Sharp car
Old 2/11/08, 06:30 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I like the top left pic the best.
Old 2/11/08, 07:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by loneranger68
Don't see anything "wrong" with the pictures... Gotta love the Vista Blue! Sharp car
Thanks I'm kinda partial to Vista Blue, too!

Originally Posted by denlem
I like the top left pic the best.
Interesting - that was the picture I kept getting when I really wanted the one in the lower right...
Old 2/11/08, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
a new camera

The point and shoot cameras take some trial and error to get the best results. For years I used a SLR film camera now a point and shoot digital and I`m learning all over. I read a little bit of the manual now and again to learn new things it can do. Don`t try to read and comprehend it all at once. Your looking good so far.
Old 2/11/08, 10:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Different focal lengths will give you different results (as you can see). Sometimes it's personal preference and other times you use a distinct lens (focal length) for a specific project. I tend to use my 200mm constantly to give a shallow depth of field. The wide angles are used to add distortion and give a different perspective. To each his own, but I use both.

Old 2/12/08, 12:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
The story -- I just bought my new car and a new camera in hopes that I could take pictures almost as good as you guys. My camera is one of those "idiot proof" point and shoot digitals. I noticed almost all of my pictures didn't look as good as yours even when I was taking them at the same angle. The best picture in my group was one from a long distance. I realized what was going on.

My camera has a zoom feature. When you turn it on it's at its widest setting. This is what I was doing to take my pictures. When I use the zoom, the perspective changes dramatically.

I attached a collage of pictures that shows the effect of default (wide) setting vs using various zoom settings. I tried to take each picture at the exact same angle and having the car fill up the same amount of space in the LCD screen (viewfinder).

Big difference, huh? I begin to like the images towards the end of the zoom range, which is probably about 90mm in 35mm SLR speak. They appear more natural to me.

Now, I have to remember to use the zoom when I'm at car shows taking pictures of everyone else's rides.

edit: The downside is having to stand further back.
Vince your pictures look great! Nice ride I tend not to follow any rules just shoot what looks good to you!

Jed

Check out the Auto Focus Thread > Car's & Coffee

Jed
Old 2/12/08, 01:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Don't mean to threadjack, but if I may.

Jed. You take some great pictures and what attracts me the most is how vibrant the colors always seem to be.

Mind if I ask you for some details on your setup? Do you enhance the pictures at all?

Thanks!
Old 2/12/08, 05:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
what is the name brand on your camera and what model is it?
Old 2/12/08, 09:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by XxDevilR6xX
Don't mean to threadjack, but if I may.

Jed. You take some great pictures and what attracts me the most is how vibrant the colors always seem to be.

Mind if I ask you for some details on your setup? Do you enhance the pictures at all?

Thanks!
Hi guys thanks for the compliments! I usually shoot with this stuff below:
(click on the picture for more detail)

That's the gear below is the workflow:

I start out using ACDsee Pro it's fast and it prep's images for Photoshop if I need to go there. Sometimes I have to edit over 500 pictures

Then if I need to I move on to Photoshop. Most of my detailed image editing is done here, (like moving eyes, heads you know fixing reality)

I usually go to routes when it comes to image editing. One adjust image to how I saw it in real life or take an artistic approach and drop all the rules.

I just purchased a new 8Core Mac so I might try Aperture 1.5 and Adobe Lightoom in 08.

Check out this site below...

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/m...ng.asp?ref=vat

Hope that helps!

Jed

Old 2/12/08, 05:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
what is the name brand on your camera and what model is it?
Vince how about you??
Old 2/13/08, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The curves on this are quite good as they are
Old 2/14/08, 12:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Jed!

You really went out of your way with the description, that's very appreciated!

I also agree with the above on the curves. Very nice indeed.
Old 2/14/08, 12:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by XxDevilR6xX
Thanks Jed!

You really went out of your way with the description, that's very appreciated!

I also agree with the above on the curves. Very nice indeed.
My pleasure I'm a trainer at heart so it all comes natural

Jed
Old 2/14/08, 07:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have a lot of admiration for folks who can "photoshop" their pictures and make them look spectacular.

My camera is a Canon SD870 IS.
Old 3/25/08, 12:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
I have a lot of admiration for folks who can "photoshop" their pictures and make them look spectacular.

My camera is a Canon SD870 IS.
That's a great 8 meg camera. Good pictures are the combination Time, Place and Lighting. A "big" camera isn't always needed, true Digital SLR's have more versatility. But you know I shot some of the most memorable pictures with a point and shoot (Canon A10 & SD300). Plus those cameas shoot video try that on a Digital SLR! In the end get the shot but more important enjoy the moment.

Side note: Give ACDsee Pro a try its a very forgiving program, fast picture refresh rate on a basic PC/Mac. You'll be surprised how fast you master the tools. People will be asking you why your pictures look so good!

ACDsee Pro 2 (New version out)

Jed

Last edited by JedCranium; 3/25/08 at 12:41 PM.