Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

Hello from Montreal !

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/20, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello from Montreal !

Hi there !

Spent most of my life in Europe, driving the finest sports car over here : The 911 Now living in Montreal, I'm driving the finest sports car in North America : The Mustang GT !!
Got it new in 2018 and using it as a daily, event during the Canadian Winter
Some small mods ongoing to fill my spare time during the containment.

Have a great ride everyone !

Yves.
Old 5/11/20, 08:53 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Welcome! The 911 is my next car....my wife and I just decided on a plan for me to buy one in 5 years.
Old 5/11/20, 09:24 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Congrats on your 2018 GT. Just one small bit of advice, I would consider locating a second vehicle to use for the winter months as Mustangs are not very practical for driving in the snow due to being rear wheel drive. Anyhow, on a much lighter note, would love seeing some pics and also welcome to TMS
Old 5/11/20, 11:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Congrats on your 2018 GT. Just one small bit of advice, I would consider locating a second vehicle to use for the winter months as Mustangs are not very practical for driving in the snow due to being rear wheel drive. Anyhow, on a much lighter note, would love seeing some pics and also welcome to TMS
Thats crazy talk a second car for the winter. Its all about tires and these cars do well in the winter.
Old 5/11/20, 11:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Welcome OP!
Old 5/11/20, 11:52 AM

Thank you !

Just updated my picture profile Got to dive into my pics server to grab some more pictures !
Regarding the winter, living on the Montreal Island, there is not so much snow . Actually, running those Michelin X-ICE3 with a limited slip differential is a HUGE fun. You just need a bit more space on the road ....

_______
2018 Kona Blue GT Premium, White Stripes, 18'' rims, Limited Slip Differential, Exhaust Sound Control, Safety Package.
Ongoing mods : upper strut brace, Bullit engine dress up kit, air/oil separator, sound resonator removal, hood strut kit.

Last edited by GT_MTL; 5/11/20 at 11:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (5/11/20)
Old 5/11/20, 12:40 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,679 Posts
Welcome!
Old 5/11/20, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Thats crazy talk a second car for the winter. Its all about tires and these cars do well in the winter.
Well for those who choose to hold onto their S197 cars store them away for the winter to prevent road salt from eventually turning them into rust buckets, especially for those in the north east regions. Needless to say, it's the reason I still have my 2006 GT to this very day. Also, not everyone is quite as fortunate as others when it comes to trading in their Mustangs every 3-5 years. There's even quite a few on these forums who put away their S550 cars during the winter as well. Anyhow, for what it's worth, my wife and I use our SUV as the daily driver and the Mustang as our recreational/fun car during the spring/summer and early fall seasons.
Old 5/12/20, 12:36 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by GT_MTL
Hi there !

Spent most of my life in Europe, driving the finest sports car over here : The 911 Now living in Montreal, I'm driving the finest sports car in North America : The Mustang GT !!
Got it new in 2018 and using it as a daily, event during the Canadian Winter
Some small mods ongoing to fill my spare time during the containment.

Have a great ride everyone !

Yves.
Welcome to The Mustang Source.

I agree with M05... The Mustang is a great car, a real work of art, and very fun car to drive. Just not so much when the snow is deeper than the clearance of the car. It is tough sledding when you are pushing snow like a snow plow. Don't know much about Montreal, but I assume them occasionally get a blast of snow. So, I would highly suggest you look into a good real 4x4 SUV to use as your winter daily driver. Save the Mustang for those warmer months when the crappy roads (At least ours are bad and always under construction) are at there best. I would enjoy to hear more about you and your car. I would love to see pictures. Welcome to North America!

Last edited by shaneyusa; 5/12/20 at 12:39 AM.
m05fastbackGT (5/12/20)
Old 5/12/20, 07:41 AM

Thank you !

Just updated my picture profile Got to dive into my pics server to grab some more pictures !
Regarding the winter, living on the Montreal Island, there is not so much snow . Actually, running those Michelin X-ICE3 with a limited slip differential is a HUGE fun. You just need a bit more space on the road ....

_______
2018 Kona Blue GT Premium, White Stripes, 18'' rims, Limited Slip Differential, Exhaust Sound Control, Safety Package.
Ongoing mods : upper strut brace, Bullit engine dress up kit, air/oil separator, sound resonator removal, hood strut kit.
I've never been to Montreal, so I don't have any experience regarding the winter seasons up there. What I do know is here in southwestern PA, AWD/SUV's and 4x4 trucks are what you mostly see on the roads during the winter months. Although we usually don't get huge amounts of snowfall, the majority of our streets/roads are all hills which can make it very difficult to climb onto without sliding all over the place, including front wheel drive cars. Another reason I don't drive my Mustang during the winter, is PA uses road salt which will eventually turn such a beautiful car as the Mustang into a rust bucket. Therefore my Mustang always stays parked inside the garage until spring finally arrives.

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Welcome to The Mustang Source.

I agree with M05... The Mustang is a great car, a real work of art, and very fun car to drive. Just not so much when the snow is deeper than the clearance of the car. It is tough sledding when you are pushing snow like a snow plow. Don't know much about Montreal, but I assume them occasionally get a blast of snow. So, I would highly suggest you look into a good real 4x4 SUV to use as your winter daily driver. Save the Mustang for those warmer months when the crappy roads (At least ours are bad and always under construction) are at there best. I would enjoy to hear more about you and your car. I would love to see pictures. Welcome to North America!
I couldn't agree with you more Shaney, as the Mustang is indeed a real work of art and a very fun car to drive, but as you also pointed out, not so much when the snow is deeper than the clearance of the car lol. Not even cars that have front wheel drive can push through deeper snow like that, let alone a car that has rear wheel drive. As mentioned earlier, despite the fact that we don't very often see huge amounts of snowfall here in southwestern PA, the majority of our streets and roads are never the less all hills which can make it very difficult to drive through snow, especially if there's a layer of ice underneath? Therefore you'll see far more SUV and 4x4 trucks around here than you will passenger cars during the winter months. Anyhow, like you said, save the Mustang for those warmer months when the roads aren't so **** crappy lol.
Old 5/12/20, 08:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well for those who choose to hold onto their S197 cars store them away for the winter to prevent road salt from eventually turning them into rust buckets, especially for those in the north east regions. Needless to say, it's the reason I still have my 2006 GT to this very day. Also, not everyone is quite as fortunate as others when it comes to trading in their Mustangs every 3-5 years. There's even quite a few on these forums who put away their S550 cars during the winter as well. Anyhow, for what it's worth, my wife and I use our SUV as the daily driver and the Mustang as our recreational/fun car during the spring/summer and early fall seasons.
For sure. I drove my 06 through 12 winters before I got my 18. No rust on that puppy other that the rear axle. I did have access to a second car but drove the mustang instead.
m05fastbackGT (5/12/20)
Old 5/12/20, 08:28 AM

For sure. I drove my 06 through 12 winters before I got my 18. No rust on that puppy other that the rear axle. I did have access to a second car but drove the mustang instead.
You're definitely a much better dude than I am, that's for sure lol. With all the freaking hills we have around here in addition to the road salt PA uses, I would never consider taking my Mustang out on our crappy roads during the winter months. On a lighter note, you were very fortunate that during the 12 years you owned your "06" that it was only the rear axle that ever saw any rust. With my luck, my car would've became a rust bucket within have that time lol.
Old 5/12/20, 09:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You're definitely a much better dude than I am, that's for sure lol. With all the freaking hills we have around here in addition to the road salt PA uses, I would never consider taking my Mustang out on our crappy roads during the winter months. On a lighter note, you were very fortunate that during the 12 years you owned your "06" that it was only the rear axle that ever saw any rust. With my luck, my car would've became a rust bucket within have that time lol.
Chicago area here. Most of those winters on the stock pirelli's. I won't say it didn't get interesting a few times but I trusted it. I bought the 18 while in Vegas for the year zero interest is what did it.
m05fastbackGT (5/12/20)
Old 5/12/20, 09:44 AM

You know what ? I'd love to have an old 4x4 truck with big studded tires to drive in winter :-)
But my wife doesn't :-(

Yves.
m05fastbackGT (5/12/20)
Old 5/12/20, 11:11 AM

Chicago area here. Most of those winters on the stock pirelli's. I won't say it didn't get interesting a few times but I trusted it. I bought the 18 while in Vegas for the year zero interest is what did it.
Although you get more snowfall in Chicago than what we do here in the Pittsburgh, PA area. IIRC Chicago has mostly level streets/roads compared to the Pittsburgh/Southwestern PA region which the majority of our roads/highways are all hills. Personally, I'd much rather prefer a region that has mostly level/flat road surfaces than areas that have mostly uneven road surfaces as hills, despite having less average amounts of snowfall during the winter months. IMHO, the Pittsburgh, PA region could very well be considered as San Francisco of the north east

You know what ? I'd love to have an old 4x4 truck with big studded tires to drive in winter :-)
But my wife doesn't :-(

Yves.
Do something really special for your wife, like pampering her by putting in a Hot Tub for her. Hopefully that just might be enough to convince her to give in. As the saying goes, "Happy wife, Happy life"