Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

X-Box 360 v. Revolution v. PS3

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/05 | 08:19 PM
V6 Member

I gotta go with the PS3... controller will take some time to get used to. I read somewere today while i was supposed to be working on my house design that the PS3 will be 2x more powerful then the 360 and 15x more powerful then the revolution and an ashtonishing 35x more powerful the the ps2... I cant believe that, the graphics for the ps2 are pretty good but 35x more powerful... and the graphics that i've seen...wow
Old 5/19/05 | 09:46 PM
I'm people, and I like.

According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan for "less than 50,000 yen each." That translates to about $465 US dollars.

Sony unveiled its next-generation console at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2005. The beast of a machine utilizes the powerful Cell processor, a custom-designed graphics chip by Nvidia, and 512MBs of RAM for a quantum leap in performance. The system will also be the first-ever to support high-def movie-playback out of the box, taking advantage of the upcoming Blu-ray Disc format.
Sony claims that PS3 will be roughly 35 times more powerful than PS2. If Mainichi Shimbun is correct, gamers will be asked to pay a hefty price for the high-end functionality.

IGN was unable to validate this news with Sony officials. Stay tuned for more as the story breaks.
Old 5/19/05 | 10:20 PM
Post *****

god bless used versions at gamestop.

oh crap. no ones gonna trade one in!

i better start a'saving
Old 5/20/05 | 01:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

have you guys been seeing the the live E3 coverage from G4?
All the footage from Killzone 2 was said to be realtime gameplay, and it looks better than even the best FPS running at the best PC's available at the moment
I can't wait, good thing 360 will hold me out for PS3.
Old 5/20/05 | 01:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Lalo, or anyone, do you know if component cables will now come packaged in as standard equipment, or maybe the current cables will work fine?
Old 5/20/05 | 07:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by ManEHawke@May 20, 2005, 2:09 AM
have you guys been seeing the the live E3 coverage from G4?
All the footage from Killzone 2 was said to be realtime gameplay, and it looks better than even the best FPS running at the best PC's available at the moment
I can't wait, good thing 360 will hold me out for PS3.
Yeah apparently there was a big controversy about that Killzone footage being pre-rendered but the VP of SCEA came on G4 yesterday and said that that was actual gameplay. Some people think Microsoft may have started the rumor. I think that the reason people didn't believe it was real was because they're not used to that much of a jump in technology. What they have to remember is that this is not a normal system with jacked up specs. CELL is an entirely new type of processor, that works differently than normal processors.

You know it's funny. The XBox fans are now saying that it'll be up to the games to decide which system is better, not the hardware. Anyone else think that sounds familiar? You know, when the XBox first came out and they were all saying how much better than the PS2 it was because of it's hardware but the games were mostly crap? Most people I know with an XBox acknowledge that the main reason they still have it is Halo 2.
Old 5/20/05 | 09:11 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Nintendo hasnt released photos or info on their controller because that's the main revolutionary part of the system. In the past, when Nintendo has released a cool controller (analog stick, rumble pack) it's been copied by others ::coughSONYcough::, so this time they are going to keep it under wraps, until very late in the game.

I hope my brother is right and we get a Power Glove!!!

Nintendo is also going to be the most affordable of the three

Old 5/20/05 | 09:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I haven't seen anyone copy nintendo's controllers before. Analog sticks are a logical evolution for 3d games, one of the reasons the DS stinks so bad. Actually, from all the PC controllers I've seen out there, most are direct copies of Playstation controllers. Besides, we all know that the big "revolution" is the retarded touch screen on the controller.
Old 5/21/05 | 12:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Maverick128+May 18, 2005, 10:10 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Maverick128 @ May 18, 2005, 10:10 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>It's already been said that the PS3 has nearly 3 times the power of the X-Box 360
[/b]

By whom, pray tell. Your grandmother? Please post the results of the head to head performance comparison of these two systems

<!--QuoteBegin-Maverick128
@May 18, 2005, 10:10 AM
If you notice it has one 3.2G Core
[/quote]

ding ding ding! Correct. 1 core. The xbox has a multicore PowerPC chip with three dual-threaded cores. As I said, in terms of raw processing power, there is no comparison. Xbox has been pimp slapping PS2 for years, gradually eroding Sony's market share all the while. With the release of the 360 (ahead of PS3 this time) it won't even be a contest.
Old 5/21/05 | 12:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@May 17, 2005, 5:29 PM
Here's a comparoson I found at IGN between the 3 and the 360

Well now it's down to two times the power, but it still kicks X-Box's hiney. Yes the XBox has 3 3.2 GhZ PowerPC cores but the PS3 has One 3.2 GhZ PowerPC Cell core combined with 7 additional Specialized 3.2G Processors along with one redundant one. That comes to a total of 9 3.2GhZ Processors vs. 3 3.2GhZ processors. Plus the 9 cell processors work in an entirely different way than any other processor out there. 2 Teraflops vs. 1 Teraflop. There you go, twice as much. Combine that with the revolutionary new rsx video card (the equivalent of 2 Geforce 6800 cards and then some) and you've got one bad-hiney system. It's funny because now Microsoft is basically saying that it's the software that counts, not the hardware. I guess since PS2 proved that to be true, they think they can use that excuse. Difference being that the PS2 actually HAD the software while many people believed that Halo and Halo 2 were the only reasons to keep one's XBox. Even then, Halo was much better for PC than XBox.
Old 5/21/05 | 12:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

To me all you need to see is the Killzone Trailer to understand what I'm talking about. And despite whatever rumors about it being fake started by Microsoft it has now been confirmed as real gameplay by SCEA VP Jack Tretton. Enjoy.
Old 5/21/05 | 07:47 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by Maverick128@May 20, 2005, 9:01 AM
I haven't seen anyone copy nintendo's controllers before. Analog sticks are a logical evolution for 3d games, one of the reasons the DS stinks so bad. Actually, from all the PC controllers I've seen out there, most are direct copies of Playstation controllers. Besides, we all know that the big "revolution" is the retarded touch screen on the controller.
I didnt mean the whole controller. I meant features on the controller that nintendo has released before others, have been duplicated by others.
Old 5/21/05 | 07:48 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by Maverick128@May 20, 2005, 11:57 PM
To me all you need to see is the Killzone Trailer to understand what I'm talking about. And despite whatever rumors about it being fake started by Microsoft it has now been confirmed as real gameplay by SCEA VP Jack Tretton. Enjoy.
That is the most awesomest video of real gameplay I have ever seen.
Old 5/21/05 | 09:55 AM
Post *****

i need this game. just need it.

i thought about getting the Xbox 360 for a bit. and then i heard about PS3. no question, the PS3 will be mine!
Old 5/21/05 | 01:01 PM
V6 Member

Sony has more experience that Microsoft, but Nintendo has more than Sony and look what happened.

You can't really compare stats until you have tests from the actual console. Intel P4s have 3+ ghz performance, but 2ghz AMD's meet or exceed their performance.

Even though the Xbox has a 700mhz processor while the PS2 a 300mhz, it was said that the PS2 was more powerful. The PS2 was supposed to deliver 75 million polygons, later reduced to 66m, while in reality even most high end games only deliver 10-15 million. The ability to utilize the power is the key.

It is too hard to tell without having the actual consoles and games.

That said I love my Xbox and can't wait for the 360.
Old 5/21/05 | 05:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Nintendo's downfall, however, was their unwillingness to change. Being the last company to stop using cartridges and never really being backwards compatible while saying that online gaming isn't going to get popular, probably didn't help them much.
Old 5/21/05 | 06:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I remember the good old days when it was Nintendo v. Sega.
Old 5/21/05 | 08:29 PM
GT Member

I think both consoles will do great. But i think since Sony is more educated on video game consoles, they will make the better console. And lets face it pple, Microsoft wasent all that smart with the Xbox. They made a controller that was way to big to even hold, they had bad wireing and they overheated easily on the first couple months it was out.

The only thing Xbox ever had over PS2 was graphics. And why is that? well lets see..

PS2: came out October 2000
Xbox: came out November 2001

One year and a month extra to make a better console. The PS3 is coming out 6 months after Xbox 360. 6 months extra to make a better console, 6 months for Xbox 360 to be happy until they have to bow down to Sony.
Old 5/21/05 | 09:28 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by RM Mustang 728@May 21, 2005, 8:32 PM
I think both consoles will do great. But i think since Sony is more educated on video game consoles, they will make the better console. And lets face it pple, Microsoft wasent all that smart with the Xbox. They made a controller that was way to big to even hold, they had bad wireing and they overheated easily on the first couple months it was out.
I actually like the bigger controllers. I never had a problem with the XBox and I bought it on the day they went on sale. I do know that my dad had to return two different PS2s, they didn't work out of the box. Ended up finding out the whole lot didn't work.
Old 5/21/05 | 09:42 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by holderca1@May 21, 2005, 9:31 PM
I actually like the bigger controllers. I never had a problem with the XBox and I bought it on the day they went on sale. I do know that my dad had to return two different PS2s, they didn't work out of the box. Ended up finding out the whole lot didn't work.
Really depends on where u buy the consoles from. I never remember seeing PS2's having problems like that before where they actually had to go back to the drawing boards and fix it. I mean, if u buy the consoles from a place like Best Buy or EB games (new console, not used), good chance that it will be fine but getting it from a Wal Mart or Sams Club is bad news. I one time bought a PC from sams club and it didnt work out of the box, but that doesnt mean everybody else had the same problem.

Quick Reply: X-Box 360 v. Revolution v. PS3