Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Where to Get - Small Amounts of Lacquer Auto Paint

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/11, 08:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where to Get - Small Amounts of Lacquer Auto Paint

I am looking for small amounts of lacquer-based automotive paints for some modeling projects - because sometimes 'close enough' isn't good enough.

The best price I can find is $15 (less shipping) for 2 ounces of touch-up paint and I can't see an automotive paint dealer selling just a few ounces.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12/9/11, 09:04 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 152 Likes on 115 Posts
when my toyota was crashed ( twice ) the body shop that fixed it gave me a small touch up bottle .. perhaps a paint shop will oblige you .

Last edited by HOSS429; 12/9/11 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12/9/11, 10:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HOSS429
when my toyota was crashed ( twice ) the body shop that fixed it gave me a small touch up bottle .. perhaps a paint shop will oblige you .
I'll check - but at the prices I'm getting, I might as well buy a quart!
Old 12/9/11, 10:16 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 152 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Kinyodas
I'll check - but at the prices I'm getting, I might as well buy a quart!
you`re tellin me .. when i painted my stang last month a gallon of thinner was 30 bucks .. they used to give it to me
Old 12/12/11, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did bodywork from 1972-2007 for a living, and as best as iI can remember, laquer based paint went by the wayside in preference to the new (at that time) urethane based 2 stage base-clear systems back in the late '80's! Somewhere in the mid "90's, The voc's (Volitile Organic Compounds) in lacquer based paints were deemed as bad polluters so it was phased out as best as I know. I'm sure somewhere there is someone that still might sell it, but WHY would you want that garbage to begin with?! Urethanes are the way to go! They actually dry as opposed to lacquer that never truly dries untill it 'dies' or loses its gloss and actually turns to a powder like substance. It isn't chemically stable and is too easily desolved by various solvents and even brake fluid! Urethanes are 2 part components that 'crosslink' to form a much better more cost efficient material for ANY finish!

Last edited by red pony; 12/12/11 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12/14/11, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by red pony
I did bodywork from 1972-2007 for a living, and as best as iI can remember, laquer based paint went by the wayside in preference to the new (at that time) urethane based 2 stage base-clear systems back in the late '80's! Somewhere in the mid "90's, The voc's (Volitile Organic Compounds) in lacquer based paints were deemed as bad polluters so it was phased out as best as I know. I'm sure somewhere there is someone that still might sell it, but WHY would you want that garbage to begin with?! Urethanes are the way to go! They actually dry as opposed to lacquer that never truly dries untill it 'dies' or loses its gloss and actually turns to a powder like substance. It isn't chemically stable and is too easily desolved by various solvents and even brake fluid! Urethanes are 2 part components that 'crosslink' to form a much better more cost efficient material for ANY finish!
I'm painting models with nail polish, and I know how to deal with lacquer best...

Last edited by Kinyodas; 12/14/11 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12/14/11, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kinyodas
I'm painting models with nail polish, and I know how to deal with lacquer best...
I missed the point about the models. Sorry! Hope the nail polish works well for you!
Old 12/14/11, 09:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by red pony
I missed the point about the models. Sorry! Hope the nail polish works well for you!
It works great! But I really want to get a few colors that nail polish will not come close to: Ford Aztec Aqua, Buick Desert Sand and Dodge "Cream Corn Yellow" - Solid colors other than red, black & white in nail polish are far & few between - I may bite it and buy some touch up paint and hope its enough...