Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Where to Download MP3's - Legally?

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/05, 07:57 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I was wondering where is the best place to download MP3's from, cheap, but legal? I've done the old P2P junk and have tons of music that way. But now, I'd rather use some clean, legal site and not deal with pop-ups & virrus' all the time. So, tell me where ya'll get your music from? I just want to be able to get some good, high quality MP3's and then burn them onto CD's for the car. Although I have gig's of music, it seems like I keep listening to the same stuff, everyday? I need newer, updated music.

Dave...
Old 7/8/05, 08:11 AM
V6 Member

Thumbs down

Originally posted by LLG05@July 8, 2005, 8:00 AM
Ok, I was wondering where is the best place to download MP3's from, cheap, but legal? I've done the old P2P junk and have tons of music that way. But now, I'd rather use some clean, legal site and not deal with pop-ups & virrus' all the time. So, tell me where ya'll get your music from? I just want to be able to get some good, high quality MP3's and then burn them onto CD's for the car. Although I have gig's of music, it seems like I keep listening to the same stuff, everyday? I need newer, updated music. Dave...
"Legal", eh? Well, there's iTunes, of course, at 99 cents a song and if you want to save a little more, Wal-Mart has downloads for 88 cents apiece.
Old 7/8/05, 08:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

i used itunes when they were giving away free MP3's when u had the code under Pepsi bottles caps, now Im back to using File Sharing, I use WinMX, WinMX is safe and spyware/virus free...
Old 7/8/05, 08:33 AM
GT Member

Napster
Old 7/8/05, 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not sure if this really fits in this forum, LOL.

You can use the ones people recommended above, or do what I do.
I buy the CD's then RIP them using Musicmatch. That way you can choose your quality and make them a real high bitrate if you want super good quality, or go for the standard 128k or 192k rates which seem to be common. Just remember the higher the bitrate the fewer songs per mp3 CD.
Old 7/8/05, 08:47 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Moving to "Off-Topic"
Old 7/8/05, 09:11 AM

limewire
Old 7/8/05, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

http://www.allofmp3.com/
Old 7/8/05, 11:07 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@July 8, 2005, 7:34 AM
I use WinMX, WinMX is safe and spyware/virus free...
ditto
Old 7/8/05, 01:42 PM
Bullitt Member

You need to keep in mind that MP3 format is largely unprotected. No Copyright encryption on it. Therefore, any place that allows you to legally download the music WILL NOT provide it to you in MP3 Format.

The many Micro$oft compatible stores (ie napster, rhapsody, walmart) all put songs in protected WMA format. Not compatible with iTunes or iPod if you want to get one. iTunes gives them to you in AAC format which is also copyrighted and has a little better sound quality.

Either way, you CANNOT download legal MP3 files unless its from a small band thats just starting up and want to share their music.

<edit>
If you want information about what legal restrictions each downloading program has on the music you receive through them, PM me and I can update you with more information than you possibly wanted to know.

PS - I'm a big nerd.
</edit>
Old 7/8/05, 02:19 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally posted by pilot1129@July 8, 2005, 3:45 PM
You need to keep in mind that MP3 format is largely unprotected. No Copyright encryption on it. Therefore, any place that allows you to legally download the music WILL NOT provide it to you in MP3 Format.

The many Micro$oft compatible stores (ie napster, rhapsody, walmart) all put songs in protected WMA format. Not compatible with iTunes or iPod if you want to get one. iTunes gives them to you in AAC format which is also copyrighted and has a little better sound quality.

Either way, you CANNOT download legal MP3 files unless its from a small band thats just starting up and want to share their music.
<edit>
If you want information about what legal restrictions each downloading program has on the music you receive through them, PM me and I can update you with more information than you possibly wanted to know.
PS - I'm a big nerd.
</edit>
so ,even tough you pay a fee on some of these sites that have mp3's,you can still be sued?? :scratch: a buddy of mine pays $21 a year for unlimited downloads(cant remember the site but i will find out and let you know)
Old 7/8/05, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

That depends. There are programs out there (ie Acquisition) that charge a fee to use it. However, they pull their files from the same file-sharing network as Kazaa, Limewire, etc... So basically your'e paying for a program that delivers illegal material. Thats like buying stolen goods from a theif and saying, "I'm safe, I paid him for these things" They can still come after you.

Basically, if you pay a monthly subscription price (to a LEGAL SERVICE), you are renting the music from them (a la Napster, rhapsody). Anyway, let me know what the name of that site is and I'll give you any more information you may want about it.

That charging $21 a year for unlimted downloads is just a scheme to filter out the people who work on behalf of the record companies and post songs that cut off in the middle, or are just static noise.

:geek:
Old 7/8/05, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Also, if the only reason you want to stop using kazaa or its counterparts is the viruses/spyware, switch to Apple (I can personally testify to how much better it is and vow to be your tech support agent if you do switch) and use a program like Acquisition that i mentioned earlier.

Windows: 60,000 new viruses every day plus countless spyware
Apple OSX: Not a single virus/spyware so far
Old 7/8/05, 04:03 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

eMule.
Old 7/8/05, 05:14 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by pilot1129@July 8, 2005, 3:05 PM
Also, if the only reason you want to stop using kazaa or its counterparts is the viruses/spyware, switch to Apple (I can personally testify to how much better it is and vow to be your tech support agent if you do switch) and use a program like Acquisition that i mentioned earlier.

Windows: 60,000 new viruses every day plus countless spyware
Apple OSX: Not a single virus/spyware so far

No Viruses you say?!?!
I never knew. I might get it when I get another computer
Old 7/8/05, 11:11 PM
Bullitt Member

you'd be surprised what people never knew about macs. that no viruses thing is probably the least impressive feature i've encountered since i switched. anyway, like i said, PM me if you have any questions about macs
Old 7/9/05, 12:58 AM
V6 Member

www.emusic.com

tell 'em I sent ya!
Old 7/9/05, 11:07 AM
GTR Member

pilot1129,here is the site i was talking about..www.247downloads.com
what can you tell me about this site??
p.s. although the thought of viruses is frightening i don't think i will be getting an apple..just spent 1500 on a HP with a nice all in one!
Old 7/9/05, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Did you see this disclaimer on the bottom of that 247 site?

From a quick 3 minute research, which may be wrong, but i doubt it, I'd guess its a foreign company downloading these files off of the file sharing network, and providing them on a server for you to download for a fee.

basically they're a middleman so that you aren't dowloading yourself and putting your individual IP address on the web for everyone to see. However, if these companies are downloading illegel music/stuff and selling it to you through a subscription, with the new case the Supreme Court just conclded, if subpoenad, they may have to turn over all their records of clients. probably wont get you into too much trouble, but just know thats where your media is probably coming from
Old 7/9/05, 08:47 PM
GTR Member

Thumbs down

Originally posted by pilot1129@July 9, 2005, 6:55 PM
Did you see this disclaimer on the bottom of that 247 site?

From a quick 3 minute research, which may be wrong, but i doubt it, I'd guess its a foreign company downloading these files off of the file sharing network, and providing them on a server for you to download for a fee.

basically they're a middleman so that you aren't dowloading yourself and putting your individual IP address on the web for everyone to see. However, if these companies are downloading illegel music/stuff and selling it to you through a subscription, with the new case the Supreme Court just conclded, if subpoenad, they may have to turn over all their records of clients. probably wont get you into too much trouble, but just know thats where your media is probably coming from
i figured it was too good to be true(perfectly legal that is)do you think since its a foreign site it has a greater chance of being infected..thanks for your help! Isn't that why this norton virus guy is makin all the $$??they should be able to detect stuff if people are payin for it..my 2c

Quick Reply: Where to Download MP3's - Legally?