Old 3/23/13, 01:54 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts

Old 3/23/13, 02:24 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 3/23/13 at 11:43 AM.
Old 3/23/13, 02:35 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I heard the comedian Ron White on a radio interview the other day and he said that before he goes on stage his routine was to listen to some loud assed rock and roll. When the host asked him what he listened to, he said there were only two kinds of rock and roll music. The Allman Brother's Band and not the Allman Brother's Band.
Old 3/23/13, 02:47 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 3/23/13 at 11:43 AM.
Old 3/23/13, 10:14 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

For Gary (Mustang Freak) that turned up his nose when I posted this band I love before and said he couldn't make it though 20 seconds because they sounded country.

Now, are you going to tell me that they aren't a kick *** band, when they play covers like that with that much killer guitar?

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 3/23/13 at 10:16 PM.
Old 3/23/13, 10:19 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

It may be just my opinion, but it just doesn't get much better than this.

Especially a live performance.

Old 3/23/13, 10:28 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
It may be just my opinion, but it just doesn't get much better than this.

Especially a live performance.

Video Link: http://youtu.be/ezPZxfS1jys
Old 3/23/13, 10:31 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by Scothew
Some awesome pics in that vid. Love the one with Duane asleep in the floor with his Gibson gold top. Might be my new avatar.
Old 3/23/13, 10:39 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Some awesome pics in that vid. Love the one with Duane asleep in the floor with his Gibson gold top. Might be my new avatar.
That a gold top LP?

My dad had one that he traded to a friend, the friend ended up trading it and hank jr ended up with that guitar. Dad has a pic somewhere of hank playing it.
Old 3/23/13, 10:46 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

That a gold top LP?

My dad had one that he traded to a friend, the friend ended up trading it and hank jr ended up with that guitar. Dad has a pic somewhere of hank playing it.

Yes, from what I understand. I don't know that much about guitars.

And if you've ever been to Statesboro Ga. you'd understand the ironic significance of that song at the time they covered it (It was a Blind Willie McTell song originally).

Just seeing Duane with that Corocidin cold medicine bottle on the third finger of his left hand (ring finger) using it as a slide gives me chills.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 3/23/13 at 10:47 PM.
Old 3/23/13, 11:11 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

You know Scott, as I've gotten older and listened more closely to the music, I don't really like the Allmans lumped in with the Southern Rock bands. They were so much more than that. Jazz, blues, contemporary jams, stuff that didn't really fit into a genre, just awesome music from what I think is probably the best collaboration of a group of musicians ever to assemble together. Jaimoe and Butch on the drums together, Berry Oakley on the bass, Duane and ****ey dueling on guitars, and Gregg on that Hammond organ with arguably one of the best blues voices ever put down on a recording.

That conglomeration of talent is just something that I don't think will ever happen again in my lifetime. Its something that comes along once in a long period and cannot be recreated.
Old 3/23/13, 11:23 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

You know Scott, as I've gotten older and listened more closely to the music, I don't really like the Allmans lumped in with the Southern Rock bands. They were so much more than that. Jazz, blues, contemporary jams, stuff that didn't really fit into a genre, just awesome music from what I think is probably the best collaboration of a group of musicians ever to assemble together. Jaimoe and Butch on the drums together, Berry Oakley on the bass, Duane and ****ey dueling on guitars, and Gregg on that Hammond organ with arguably one of the best blues voices ever put down on a recording.

That conglomeration of talent is just something that I don't think will ever happen again in my lifetime. Its something that comes along once in a long period and cannot be recreated.
You know just listening to the Live at the Fillmore recordings is mind blowing. Going back and listening to them closely is what brought me to the conclusions above. They were so much more than a Southern rock band, they were making music to last for generations that stretches across all boundaries and genres.
Old 3/23/13, 11:25 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

I agree, it's a combination that can't truly be defined, and likely never to be recreated.
Old 3/23/13, 11:39 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I agree, it's a combination that can't truly be defined, and likely never to be recreated.
I agree, its just something that can't be assembled, even with great musicians. And there are some great musicians out there, even ones that cover the Allmans, but they just don't have that spark, that fire, that intensity that emanated from them when they were together. There was something special happening there that can't be recreated. Yes, it may happen at some point in the future, but I surmise that we will be dead and gone before it does. That **** doesn't just happen everyday.

For example....

I mean that **** is just epic. The guitars, the driving beat, Gregg's voice, it just doesn't happen that often in life. THAT is real music.
Old 3/23/13, 11:56 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

You know, I was thinking earlier about the kind of **** the must have gone through. Traveling around, 5 long haired, dope smoking hippies and a black dude roaming the South in the 60's in a van going from bar to bar, honky tonk to honky tonk trying to make a name for themselves and make a living on what they could make playing gigs wherever they could find one. Amazing story when you think about it.
Old 3/23/13, 11:57 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

You know, I was thinking earlier about the kind of **** the must have gone through. Traveling around, 5 long haired, dope smoking hippies and a black dude roaming the South in the 60's in a van going from bar to bar, honky tonk to honky tonk trying to make a name for themselves and make a living on what they could make playing gigs wherever they could find one. Amazing story when you think about it.
Lol. If I remember right, they had a loft in south side here in beam that they did some recording in. I was told that by family and friends that were die hard AB fans, but I don't know how much truth is in it.

This is my fav
Old 3/24/13, 12:09 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Lol. If I remember right, they had a loft in south side here in beam that they did some recording in. I was told that by family and friends that were die hard AB fans, but I don't know how much truth is in it.

This is my fav
http://youtu.be/A3iXND2hvDE
Amazing stuff. What's really amazing is that I've lived here all my life just a couple hours away and have never been here. Got to do that soon, before I die (which may not be long, lol). Reading that book "Midnight Riders, The Story of the Allman Brother's Band" back in the 90s got me interested in it.

http://www.thebighousemuseum.com/home/
Old 3/24/13, 01:58 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Linkin park - waiting for the end
Old 3/24/13, 02:00 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Ratm - killing in the name of

Quick Reply: what are you listening to ?