Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Which type of TV is better...

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/05 | 03:53 PM
I'm people, and I like.

The only thing I dont like about DLP's is that you gotta watch it in a dark room to get the best quality pictures, and I think it also cannot be seen from the side, but from straight ahead.
Old 12/6/05 | 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Knight@December 6, 2005, 2:15 PM
DLP is the best

DLP vs LCD

Manufacturers recognize that the organic compounds in LCD panels and polarizers are susceptible to high heat and light energy stress, and will eventually break down if deployed in high stress environments—in particular 24x7 operation with higher than normal ambient temperatures. Compact portable LCD projectors are in general not recommended for 24x7 duty cycles because of this.

On the other hand, DLP technology does not use organic compounds. Thus the elements which can be expected to degrade over time under high stress in an LCD projector do not exist in a DLP projector. Therefore when these two technologies are placed side-by-side in an unusually high stress environment as they were in this test, the DLP-based products should be more resistant to image shift over time. TI's test demonstrated this in no uncertain terms.

This particular point of the debate is really not to big a deal. And I definately don't think it makes dlp the clear cut choice. Its jsut kind of an out there fact I don't know anyone who is going to run thier tv for 168 hours in a row in the desert. thats like saying that crt's are better than plasma because you stand on the back of the crt tv while smothering yourself in butter and have it still work while the plasma would break. Not that I have tried that though

lately.
Old 12/6/05 | 05:56 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Old 12/7/05 | 03:24 PM

My boyfriends brother has a 65in. widescreen Mitsubishi widescreen and it is the best TV that I have every watched. I would definetally go with the LCD.
Old 12/7/05 | 03:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Dave, I would definitely go with an LCD TV. I just bought one myself, for the bedroom, and didn't want something massive. After doing A TON of research, to make sure the one I wanted was good, I went to SAM'S Club, and picked up a 32" Vizio L32 LCD Flat Panel, for only $896 It only weighs 44 pounds with the stand, and is only 4" or 5 " deep. LOVE IT. The price was too good to pass up, and plus, on top of that, I bought it with Sam's Club Credit card, and got 0% financing for 6 months . I know what you may be thinking, who is Vizio? They make lcd computer monitors, so they know what they are doing.
I tell you, the picture from the requisite 6 feet away viewing distance is spectacular. Great color, very bright, and I love the look of it. And I am hooked up to regular cable tv, NO HDTV. I tell you, unlike what I have heard about certain colors, the whites ARE white (snow looks awesome) and blacks DO NOT look gray. Plus, sports look great, no ghosting watching football (the response time is 12 milliseconds. You want a set below 16 to be good). If you haven't bought one yet, might I suggest a website called AVSforum.com. This is a total fan site about everything audio, video, you name it. Alot of customer reviews. Great place to get info on any particular item. This is where I read alot of the great reviews on this set, and convinced me to purchase it. I will NEVER go back to a tube tv again. To let you know, Costco just got in the 37" version of the same TV, for $1,499. Good luck on your decision.
Old 12/7/05 | 04:11 PM

Tube !
Better life span.
Deeper blacks = better contrast. Even more noticeable in HD
Can be viewed at any angle.

Plasma
Too expensive for what you get still. Burn problems worse than CRT

LCD
Pixel dropout. Having 3-4 dead dots on your screen can be frustrating. Been there.
Wash out. They do not perform well in bright light.

I have 8 foot windows in my living room. Only a tube gives acceptable performance in all lighting situations.
My suggestion Sony Wega KD34XBR960 34" flat wide screen PIP HD!
Only drawbacks: 2 feet deep 200 lbs
Old 12/7/05 | 04:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm not a huge TV buff myself. I really only end up watching 3 or 4 hours a week tops so I don't know much about them.

But my father in law bought an LCD TV (not sure what brand). But he loves it, so I guess I'll go with LCD.