Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Toyota won't help U.S. rivals

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/05, 04:42 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taurus was replaced with Five Hundred, new mustang is selling like hot cakes, they dont need to build the concept, get real

Fords still doing well for where the economys going, and lalo, your right about the suv and f-series sales going down do to fuel, Zoran, Listen!
Old 4/27/05, 04:43 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Lalo, speaking of longest quote ....
Old 4/27/05, 06:19 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by Red Star@April 27, 2005, 3:46 PM
Lalo, speaking of longest quote ....

That's what I was thinking. Although it may not count because he didnt do it right lol

Doug: a company doesnt necessarily go bankrupt if they dont make a profit for a year. The company still has money, it is not like they put all of their money on one year and gamble it all on that one production year.
Old 4/27/05, 06:29 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
The UAW, and rising Health costs associated with GM, and Ford have much to do with them turning a profit, or lack there of. If foreign manufacturers building plants in the USA had to abide by the same UAW standards, and didn't get tax breaks out the azz their profits wouldn't be as large.

Not that Ford and GM haven't shot themeselves in the foot with the UAW (and I do respect the UAW), but at some point in the near future both sides will have to understand that they are doing more harm than good.
Old 4/27/05, 06:39 PM
I'm people, and I like.

true dat Jason
Old 4/27/05, 10:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Red Star, your news is old. As of now, Ford made 1.21 billion dollars in profit last quater. Don't believe me? Look here! http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsess...storyID=8236282

True, global sales are down but profits are up which means that Ford is doing exactly what it needs to be and that is making more profit per vehicle. Not only that, the Camry has recently been tested by the Insurance Institute of For Highway Safety and has flunked the side impact test without side airbags. Maybe the current best seller in the U.S. but I hope god has mercy on you if you didn't order the side airbags! http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2005/pr042405.htm . Now that I mention it, the Corolla also didn't do particularly well in side impact test either.
Old 4/27/05, 10:49 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Steve, my news is from today. The newest story on AutoWeek.

Click Here
Old 4/27/05, 11:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, more meaning less specualation. We already know that Ford has re-entrenched their product strategy for overall lower sales. Maybe you'd like to glance over this in the article I posted a link to.
During the first quarter, Ford said its core auto operations earned $579 million before taxes and excluding charges, while its finance arm contributed $710 million.

Revenue rose to $45.1 billion from $44.7 billion in the year-ago quarter.
During the first quarter, Ford said its core auto operations earned $579 million before taxes and excluding charges, while its finance arm contributed $710 million.

Revenue rose to $45.1 billion from $44.7 billion in the year-ago quarter.

Even though the following quote is negative, it still shows that Ford did make profit overall this quater, though less than last years.
Ford's first-quarter profit fell to $1.21 billion, or 60 cents a share, from $1.95 billion, or 94 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter.
Old 4/27/05, 11:53 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i just read this whole thread and i have a few things to say:

honestly, i dont think ford is the most reliable, or the best car company right now. but they arent the least reliable, nor are they anywhere near it. but they do have vehicles i want, so i will always like them

also, another reason i think Ford, GM etc arent making as much profit is beciause of the old mentality that Toyota, honda etc are invincible and that american cars are crap.
most ppl beleive that domestics are poor quality because they may have been in the past and that imports are high quality becuaese they may have been in the past. even though it isnt necasarily true.

finally: DOUG WILL YOU LEARN TO TALK CIVIL FOR ONCE!!!! time and time again, you always say things like "GM is crap, they cant compare to ford" and "all imports stink" etc. MY GOD! your what 12? honestly, you probably know the least about cars here (or are very close to it) PLEASE stop makling downright stupid coments! and you wonder why everyone is always pissed at you. USE YOUR BRAIN FOR A FREAKIN SECOND!!!

it makes you look more and more like a wet behind the ears kid who knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING...

PS learn how to use the quote thing. it helps us read the post
Old 4/28/05, 12:23 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by future9er24@April 27, 2005, 11:56 PM

honestly, i dont think ford is the most reliable, or the best car company right now. but they arent the least reliable, nor are they anywhere near it. but they do have vehicles i want, so i will always like them

also, another reason i think Ford, GM etc arent making as much profit is beciause of the old mentality that Toyota, honda etc are invincible and that american cars are crap.
most ppl beleive that domestics are poor quality because they may have been in the past and that imports are high quality becuaese they may have been in the past. even though it isnt necasarily true.

finally: DOUG WILL YOU LEARN TO TALK CIVIL FOR ONCE!!!! time and time again, you always say things like "GM is crap, they cant compare to ford" and "all imports stink" etc. MY GOD! your what 12? honestly, you probably know the least about cars here (or are very close to it) PLEASE stop makling downright stupid coments! and you wonder why everyone is always pissed at you. USE YOUR BRAIN FOR A FREAKIN SECOND!!!

it makes you look more and more like a wet behind the ears kid who knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING...

Amen

I just gotta add one more thing. Arin, you said that reason why people think Toyota is good and Ford is bad is because of what happened in the past. Well, Toyota didn't reputation they have today until 15-20 years ago. I mean, would you ever compare any Japanese import with domestic car back in the 1960s or 1970s and most of the 1980s? They took over car market in the early 1990s and now its gonna take a lot of work for Ford, GM and Chrysler to get their reputation back.
Old 4/28/05, 06:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by StevenJ@April 28, 2005, 12:48 AM
Red Star, your news is old. As of now, Ford made 1.21 billion dollars in profit last quater. Don't believe me? Look here! http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsess...storyID=8236282

True, global sales are down but profits are up which means that Ford is doing exactly what it needs to be and that is making more profit per vehicle. Not only that, the Camry has recently been tested by the Insurance Institute of For Highway Safety and has flunked the side impact test without side airbags. Maybe the current best seller in the U.S. but I hope god has mercy on you if you didn't order the side airbags! http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2005/pr042405.htm . Now that I mention it, the Corolla also didn't do particularly well in side impact test either.

Very true, Ford is making a comeback! And their 500 just aced the crash test. Theres a thread around here somewhere about it. The fact is that people are starting to turn back to domestic cars and realize that they have come a long way. The competition has been a blessing in disguise as it has forced them to build better vehicles. IMO I see Ford increasing in sales majorly in the next few years. It takes time for a new vehicle like the 500 to catch on with the market when they are used to the Taurus. I will always stay with Ford because of the safety that I feel that they have over the competition. To me safety is first.
Old 4/28/05, 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow I started this thread just because I thought it was an interesting article. Did'nt think it would be this hotly debated, but I guess I better and my two cents in here.

I don't think that the Japanese company's should change there pricing here in America. What I want American companies to do is make a better product that will sell itself through it reputation of quality and reliability just like Honda and Toyota has done. There was a time in the 90's where I did not think this was the case, but recently I feel that American car companies are making a higher quality and more reliable vehicles but it will take some time to turn the tide and change peoples thinking.

Book
Old 4/28/05, 07:37 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by Bookman@April 28, 2005, 6:20 AM
Wow I started this thread just because I thought it was an interesting article. Did'nt think it would be this hotly debated, but I guess I better and my two cents in here.

I don't think that the Japanese company's should change there pricing here in America. What I want American companies to do is make a better product that will sell itself through it reputation of quality and reliability just like Honda and Toyota has done. There was a time in the 90's where I did not think this was the case, but recently I feel that American car companies are making a higher quality and more reliable vehicles but it will take some time to turn the tide and change peoples thinking.

Book
you're ablsolutely right
Old 4/28/05, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Interesting, and hotly debated, it was! But like the old saying goes; "some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant"
Old 4/28/05, 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Thats the second time in two days I've heard that saying. Must be back in vougue.
Old 4/28/05, 02:05 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by future9er24+April 28, 2005, 12:56 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(future9er24 @ April 28, 2005, 12:56 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>i just read this whole thread and i have a few things to say:

[/b]

i did not alter the qoute thing, it came out like that, their suttin wrong and prvoe to me where GM is not doing horrible and show me any of their vehicles which are qaulity, i no alot about cars, many many things, dont pound me into the ground cuz u dont like what i said, and i also am not 12, older than that, u woul dno if u bothered to look at my pro.
Originally posted by Red Star@April 28, 2005, 1:26 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-future9er24
@April 27, 2005, 11:56 PM

Amen

I just gotta add one more thing. Arin, you said that reason why people think Toyota is good and Ford is bad is because of what happened in the past. Well, Toyota didn't reputation they have today until 15-20 years ago. I mean, would you ever compare any Japanese import with domestic car back in the 1960s or 1970s and most of the 1980s? They took over car market in the early 1990s and now its gonna take a lot of work for Ford, GM and Chrysler to get their reputation back.
[/quote]
no, Ford and Dodge have nice qaulity vehicles, they have a good reputation, thats why few people hate dodge and many buy F-series, if their reputation was bad, then no1 would buy the f series, they would buy the titan and T-100 (puke)
Old 4/28/05, 02:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good read in this Time article if anybody has a subscription or finds this issue lying around.:
http://www.time.com/time/archive/preview/0...1050287,00.html

One of the big clinchers in the read of why GM is suffering is retirement and health care costs, neither which Toyota has to pay for since its covered by the Japanese government (at least for the Japanese workers). The article said GM is supporting 350,000 retirees...which is $1,100 of the price of every car sold.
Old 4/28/05, 02:38 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Doug,
Yeah, you know a lot about cars ... Please, you didn't even know the difference between regular Hatchback II, Cobra II and King Cobra.
For the part where you said that Ford and Dodge are reliable cars ... Yeah, Ford Mustang Cobra and Dodge Viper, yeah, they are reliable cars. What about Focus and Neon? Are they reliable too? I have both Ford and Dodge (and Toyota). Mustang have only 28,000 miles, so its too soon for a Mustang to have problems (although I did had problem with theft system and few minor problems). Intrepid is a piece of junk. Its almost paid off, so after the summer Intrepid is going on sale. Me and my dad want SUV or Truck. I wanna Navigator, but I'm not sure if I should get one (heard bad stories about 1st generation), my dad wanna Silverado and we'll probably go with Silverado.
Old 4/28/05, 03:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Actually the Focus was rated as the best small sporty car last year by CR. Now the neon on the other hand, well.... theres nothing nice to say about them.

BTW I think we need to get away from bashing on each other here. Yeah I did it earlier in the post and it was immature. We can all have our opinions but I think we need to be a little more civil towards one another. And I am just as guilty as the next person and I apologize.

Now.....
Old 4/28/05, 03:40 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Red Star@April 28, 2005, 3:41 PM
Doug,
Yeah, you know a lot about cars ... Please, you didn't even know the difference between regular Hatchback II, Cobra II and King Cobra.
For the part where you said that Ford and Dodge are reliable cars ... Yeah, Ford Mustang Cobra and Dodge Viper, yeah, they are reliable cars. What about Focus and Neon? Are they reliable too? I have both Ford and Dodge (and Toyota). Mustang have only 28,000 miles, so its too soon for a Mustang to have problems (although I did had problem with theft system and few minor problems). Intrepid is a piece of junk. Its almost paid off, so after the summer Intrepid is going on sale. Me and my dad want SUV or Truck. I wanna Navigator, but I'm not sure if I should get one (heard bad stories about 1st generation), my dad wanna Silverado and we'll probably go with Silverado.
dont bash me, i made a mistake about the IIs, i dont no much about the IIs because not much is published about them and they arent very popular. The navigator is a very good high qaulity vehicle to buy, i have heard many bad stories about GMs cold idle banging problems with their motors. Ford is very reliable, I havent ever heard of neon problems, my uncle NEVER had aproblem with 4 or 5 status's out of the 6 or so he owned, and this is with milage in the high triple digits. Now, the bashing was immature, lets get back to topic asnd if u dont like me or have something to say, pm me about it.

Quick Reply: Toyota won't help U.S. rivals