Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Stock Tire Iron

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/08, 12:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Stock Tire Iron

So I was taking off each wheel last evening one by one to clean up & polish the inner rim, when I got to wheel # 3 I was trying to remove a lug nut and the iron just caved in @ the neck, thus making it totally useless, I''ve since been into Ford and they have to order a new one. I was curious as has anyone else had a problem as this ?
Old 10/29/08, 12:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never had a stock tire iron on any car, foreign or domestic , that was for more than emergency use only. They make them as cheap and light as possible, and sometimes they don't fit the lugs well and I ended up rounding off the edges and with bleeding knuckles.

That's why I use an aftermarket lug wrench. I like the forged "cross" type lug wrenches because once I break the lugnuts free I can spin the lugnuts off really quick. A 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and socket works well too.
Old 10/29/08, 04:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

That's what I'll keep in there now & just keep the new one when it comes as a defensive weapon or something. Must have been made like that to maybe keep the weight down.
Old 10/29/08, 05:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the same experience as Vermillion. I've very rarely used stock jacks or lug wrenches for anything but emergency use, and if I have the chance I'll even avoid using them then. The last flat tire I had (on the way to work), I called my wife and had her bring out a full sized extra wheel/tire, a lightweight aluminum floor jack, breaker bar with socket, and cordless impact. When normally changing tires in my shop I use a breaker bar and long socket to break them loose (total cost around $20-25) and to tighten them I use a torque wrench, usually you can get by with a cheapie $20 doller torque wrench from Harbor Freight for wheels. My cordless impact wrench makes things go a lot quicker, but isn't necessary for occasional changes/rotations.
Old 10/30/08, 02:34 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,566 Likes on 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
So I was taking off each wheel last evening one by one to clean up & polish the inner rim, when I got to wheel # 3 I was trying to remove a lug nut and the iron just caved in @ the neck, thus making it totally useless, I''ve since been into Ford and they have to order a new one. I was curious as has anyone else had a problem as this ?
It's NUTS to get all TWISTED about getting WRENCHED you big LUG!

Just Kidding Ed! You have been {PUN}ished!

I agree with the Masses The Stock Wrench is only good for Emergencys. Get yourself a Good Four Way for repair work.

Btw, your Service Part / Wrench will be Warranteed for a Year so Hang on to your Reciept!

Kc
Old 11/2/08, 07:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Stupid though I have now a star and a bar ?socket But they give you a car, you expect that tool to work now if you use it right after say FORD service rotate your tires and use an impact gun your now out in the boonies and this happens (see my point) your basicly screwd & it then costs them $$$ to send a truck out.