Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

A little tired of the harassment on the road...

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/15, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know most of our cars are mean looking and loud so it comes with the territory, but getting a little tired of the way some people drive around me. I'm just driving to and from work and every day there is someone who tailgates, throws revs, drives erratically trying to get me to take a bite. It's almost always a luxury sedan (e550, lexus, infinity, audi A4) I have a stock mustang and it's not that fast, but I find myself avoiding being at the front of a stop light and just drive slow. Sometimes I want to open it up on a ramp or a back road, but I always worry about some knucklehead who thinks I'm doing anything more than listening to that V8 and enjoying my car. Sometimes I really hate NJ, the drivers, traffic. I love my car and wouldn't trade it for anything else unless another Mustang. I guess I just have to deal with what comes with owning one. I never experienced this with any other car I've owned. Anyone else get this?

Last edited by Last1; 8/25/15 at 09:01 AM.
Old 8/25/15, 09:46 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Last1
I know most of our cars are mean looking and loud so it comes with the territory, but getting a little tired of the way some people drive around me. I'm just driving to and from work and every day there is someone who tailgates, throws revs, drives erratically trying to get me to take a bite. It's almost always a luxury sedan (e550, lexus, infinity, audi A4) I have a stock mustang and it's not that fast, but I find myself avoiding being at the front of a stop light and just drive slow. Sometimes I want to open it up on a ramp or a back road, but I always worry about some knucklehead who thinks I'm doing anything more than listening to that V8 and enjoying my car. Sometimes I really hate NJ, the drivers, traffic. I love my car and wouldn't trade it for anything else unless another Mustang. I guess I just have to deal with what comes with owning one. I never experienced this with any other car I've owned. Anyone else get this?

Sometimes I think there are two kinds of drivers in NJ....Mustang owners and a$$holes, and nothing in-between. If someone wants to race, or won't let me into another lane, I don't challenge them. It's not worth the aggravation, a ticket, or an accident.

I have been known to do this, and it's really a lot of fun. You should try it.....

Mr. Snotnose kid pulls up at a light next to me in daddy's BMW or some clapped out tuner with an ironing board wing and coffee can muffler tips....he revs his engine and makes "let's see what you can do" eye contact.

I rev my mighty Coyote, get some gurgling out of my GT500 axlebacks, make eye contact with him....I fiddle with my shifter, glance at the cross-light as if I'm timing when the yellow turns red and for when my light goes green. Mr. Snotnose sees me assuming the position and gets a boner now, figuring the race is on.

Our light turns green....he screams off in first or low gear while I proceed slowly and normally, and I let him beat me by a country mile. He ends up looking like a friggin' moron, and usually flips me the bird at the next light.

Like I give a crap.
Old 8/25/15, 10:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14

Our light turns green....he screams off in first or low gear while I proceed slowly and normally, and I let him beat me by a country mile. He ends up looking like a friggin' moron, and usually flips me the bird at the next light.

Like I give a crap.
This is great hahaha
Old 8/25/15, 11:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I dunno. I like to rev my car. I get TONS of compliments on my ride, even with it not being washed after a month.

I have an aftermarket exhaust to enjoy listening too and for others to "enjoy" as well hahaha.

I hear ya. I have my days where I don't want to be bothered. and then there's the other 6 days of the week where I'm game.

The one night heading home from the gym, had a redneck in a 90's chevy pickup truck try and egg me on with his rust bucket. I didn't bite. was too late in the night and know that I could have drawn A LOT of attention from anyone that could have been listening a block away.

yesterday, an R8 beside me. both nodded and drove off like we owned Buicks.

I really like the attention this car gets, it deserves it! its a Mustang.
Old 8/25/15, 11:55 AM
FR500 Member

I have noticed that there is usually a mutual respect among certain car owners. Newer Camaros, Challengers, 'Vette owners (and naturally Mustangs) as well as vintage muscle, hot rod, classic car owners will wave you on if you're trying to make a left, or respond with a friendly horn honk, wave or a thumbs up when passing each other.

Most of these kind of car owners appreciate other nice cars without displays of testosterone.
Old 8/25/15, 12:26 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I have noticed that there is usually a mutual respect among certain car owners. Newer Camaros, Challengers, 'Vette owners (and naturally Mustangs) as well as vintage muscle, hot rod, classic car owners will wave you on if you're trying to make a left, or respond with a friendly horn honk, wave or a thumbs up when passing each other.

Most of these kind of car owners appreciate other nice cars without displays of testosterone.

That is my usual experience, even though on rare occasion I do run across a jerk. Sometimes I bite, sometimes I don't bother wasting the fuel.
Old 8/25/15, 12:31 PM
GT Member

Sometimes...but I find in almost equal measure a thumbs up or a wave. So, like in life, I ignore the idiots!

At least I think it was a thumb...

Last edited by Noilly Pratt; 8/25/15 at 12:33 PM.
Old 8/25/15, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Exactly what I have been experiencing ever since, although I can appreciate certain attention - makes me feel like a rock star. And I thought it is because I'm in SoCal lol.

Sometimes I think there are two kinds of drivers in NJ....Mustang owners and a$$holes, and nothing in-between. If someone wants to race, or won't let me into another lane, I don't challenge them. It's not worth the aggravation, a ticket, or an accident.

I have been known to do this, and it's really a lot of fun. You should try it.....

Mr. Snotnose kid pulls up at a light next to me in daddy's BMW or some clapped out tuner with an ironing board wing and coffee can muffler tips....he revs his engine and makes "let's see what you can do" eye contact.

I rev my mighty Coyote, get some gurgling out of my GT500 axlebacks, make eye contact with him....I fiddle with my shifter, glance at the cross-light as if I'm timing when the yellow turns red and for when my light goes green. Mr. Snotnose sees me assuming the position and gets a boner now, figuring the race is on.

Like I give a crap.
Mighty(!) Coyote indeed yes. I almost cried lol. I get emotional sometimes. As much as we get attention from the crowd, I notice equal hates on these cars. We can't really argue after watching some douchebags crashing on youtube, their act of lowering our 'class' has been really bugging me. It is those haters hates mostly the behaviors of owner/driver being an **** rather than the car itself in which is really sad they all look at us the same old douchebags driving around reving loud street race. Good call on letting him beat you.
Old 8/25/15, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
They either love you for your Mustang, or they hate you for your Mustang! There's no middle ground ,where I live. This thing can put a smile on my face, and at the same time it can really **** some people off!
Attached Thumbnails A little tired of the harassment on the road...-20150607_085855.jpg  

Last edited by BackroadGT; 8/25/15 at 04:18 PM.
Old 8/25/15, 04:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Rarely ever happens to me. Should've gone with Race Red.
Old 8/25/15, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Rarely ever happens to me. Should've gone with Race Red.
Red makes me angry.
Old 8/25/15, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BackroadGT
They either love you for your Mustang, or they hate you for your Mustang! There's no middle ground ,where I live. This thing can put a smile on my face, and at the same time it can really **** some people off!
So true. I also agree with another statement in this thread about how us muscle car guys for the most part respect each other, give a thumbs up, etc. I just have to get better at ignoring the idiots...just get a chuckle out of them. You'd think it's a question of maturity, but I'm 40 and still sometimes let this crap get to me. haha One of these days I'm moving to Northern Arizona where there's nothing but open sky and open road...
Old 8/25/15, 06:19 PM
FR500 Member

I just have to get better at ignoring the idiots...just get a chuckle out of them. You'd think it's a question of maturity, but I'm 40 and still sometimes let this crap get to me.
Ironic....I ignore the idiots and jerk-offs, but I let bad drivers get to me sometimes. An a-hole was probably born an a-hole so I can let that slide, but there's no excuse for being oblivious to those around you and just not being an attentive, courteous, or even a semi-skilled driver.

But most things I don't let bother me. At 63 I've earned the right to not give a ****.
Old 8/26/15, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol, just had it yesterday. Driving along, minding my own business and I merge right next to a new Tesla S 85d (422/465). He ends up in front of me for a mile or so until traffic opens up. The Dude literarily brake checks me to get my attention. So I let a couple cars pass on our right and finally move to simply pass him since he is now running 60-65 in a 70 mph zone.

Once I get by his door he starts jabbing his accerator. So Im like ok buddy, toggle my a6 down to third (orx and muffler bypass) and we hit it at same time. Not a great speed for my third, but nonetheless put about 3 bus lengths on him by 125 mph and walking him hard. I gently rolled down the window and waved bye, bye. Quess he thought/hoped mine was stock (looks bone stock on outside). Justice served on 85k plus car.

Last edited by WhitePonyGT/CS; 8/26/15 at 06:43 AM.
Old 8/26/15, 07:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by WhitePonyGT/CS
toggle my a6 down to third

Old 8/26/15, 07:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Like I give a crap.
I use your method now. I used to do the evil version of it till I grew up. I'd rev at the line and wait for them to look at me. Then I'd lunge the cat forward and brake immediately while the light was still red. They'd speed through the intersection while it was red. I used to think it was funny till someone almost got into an accident. I realize I was just as bad as the annoying person trying to race me.
Old 8/26/15, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fall into the "let the idiots look like a fool, or get a ticket" category. I admit I did my stupid stuff back in the day, and I learned, and I matured. As I did then, but even more so now, I appreciate my Mustang and want it to continue to be the bad *** car it is for a long time. But sad to say, I have noticed some nimrods that want to egg me on or gives me the rev and the look. The cool part is, for most of these twerps, I know I could handily blow their doors off. So knowing that, but not doing it, as I cruise off gently, is very very satisfying.
Old 8/26/15, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I find that usually it's some douche in a prius or a minivan that wants to ride my *** when I'm already doing 70 in a 55. I'll admit that I don't move over EVER when someone starts to tailgate me, or when they start flashing their lights (most times I'm only in the fast lane in an attempt to keep open road in front of my car to avoid any road debris or rock damage). I slow down to get them nice and mad then wait for an opening in the right lane to come up, when they angrily jerk over to go around me I speed up just enough to prevent them from passing. If you time it right, the person that was behind them, behind you, moves up and they lose there place behind you and have two cars to get around.
I get in my car every morning wondering "what douche today will have the sole mission of being in front of me". Seems like there is always someone on my highway commute that just HAS to pass me, while I go a set speed all the way to work. It does get annoying to have to pass the same person ten times when I go 70 all the way to work and every time I pass them they feel the need to fly past me and then slow down enough for me to pass them again 2 miles down the road when my speed doesn't change. I do get the daily revving of engines next to me or at stop lights as well.
Old 8/26/15, 06:29 PM
V6 Member

^ Talk about a douche. You don't move over to let faster traffic pass, then when somebody is forced to pass you on the right you block them- smh
Old 8/26/15, 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Yea, that's kind of a douche thing to do. I usually go fast or keep pace with traffic in the left lane too, but there's always that one jerk that tailgates you because they don't think your going fast enough. I don't move over, I let them change lanes and pass me on the right, but I don't speed up to block them off, there's just too much jerks on the road and you never know who you might run into.

Quick Reply: A little tired of the harassment on the road...