Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Star Wars!!! (Spoilers Within)

Old 12/27/15, 10:22 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Wars!!! (Spoilers Within)

Where's the Star Wars love?!!

Loved the newest movie. Hands down the best one of all, in my opinion.
Lots of fun and it brings back that original SW feel and way more.
Even though this new installment borrowed a lot from A New Hope (and some Empire Strikes Back), it felt fresh and engaging the whole way through. What a way to set up the next two films.
Kylo Ren is easily the best SW villain. Way more depth, inner turmoil and angst than the rest, and perfectly acted to boot.
Rey and Fin were great as the main protagonists, and Poe was a great surprise.
Han
and that look on Luke's face at the end. Holy Moly.

What did you all think?
Guesses/Predictions/Conspiracy Theories about the upcoming films?
Old 12/28/15, 07:34 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,616 Posts
Exceptional movie and very well acted!
Old 12/28/15, 11:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Bein' a Mustang forum, we're all ate up with Mustang things, Lalo. However, since you started this thing here... well...

Not the best. That would be Empire Strikes Back. And then A New Hope. THEN this one, then 3, then 6, then 2, and then 1. IMO, of course, but everyone will agree with me on this, right? Right.

Sorry again, Kylo isn't the best SW villain. That moniker clearly goes to Palpatine, so far. That guy is evil personified, manipulative and powerful. If it weren't for Vader, and his advanced age, he might still have been Emperor at the end of ROTJ. Kylo is a confused, emo 20something and needs to grow up.

But yes, Adam Driver, along with Daisy, John, and Oscar, were perfectly cast, and their casting should continue to bear fruit through the next two movies. They can ditch 3PO and Leia, though, they're a bit superfluous at this point. Again IMO.

Yes. Han. But Harrison wanted it done, and there's another *really* good (potential) reason for this to have happened.

They could have just never showed Rey getting there. They could have shown the Falcon rising up, and then when she goes into hyperspace, do the donut fade to credits right then. Luke didn't need to even be in this film. But hey, it's a credit for Hamill, so, that's fine.

While I'm talking about excising things, most, if not all, of the Han-Leia scenes could have been removed. They seemed stilted and awkward, even for exes. They don't hate each other, but they aren't comfortable with each other either.

And the rolling spaghetti monsters. Why. Just... why.

Sorry, back to Luke. Yeah, that look. Haunted. Mulling what has to happen next... and not wanting to make the decision that has to be made, MUST be made, in regards to Rey and the rest. I've had people complain about this scene, but to me, I knew everything I needed to know, and not ONE word being said was needed.

Sidenote: Did ya notice during the interrogation of Rey when Kylo slammed his helmet down after taking it off? What it was slammed down on? Huh? DIDJA?! I did. Right off. A powerful item to explain things. Maybe. Maybe not. But still. Why would he slam it on that?

Second sidenote: Captain Phasma has to be the most underwhelming character in Star Wars right now. I mean, Jar Jar is a better character than she is, and I don't much care for him as a character. She's the leader of troopers, and has a commanding presence, and is listened to without question... except for FN-2187, of course, but he's a defect. But when push comes to shove, when it's her own life on the line... she has no problem doing exactly what her captors want her to do. Seriously. What the heck. I mean... she's supposed to be this bad*** b***h. And she *caves*?! Also way much hype and toys for a 5 scene character. What does she have... 3 minutes of screen time? 4? Just... really disappointing. They need to seriously get her on track or just jettison her as a character. Trooper JB-007, the one Rey Jedi Mind Tricks, was a better developed character than Phasma, I want HIM in the chrome suit.

Ok. Rant over.

I've only seen it twice. I plan on about 6 more times, to equal the amount I saw the original Star Wars in the theater when it opened. Yeah, I'm old enough. 4 hour lines in the Galleria General Cinema I and II, east of the ice rink, lined up the stairs... and so worth it.

---

Predictions and or spoilers. (You need to just close this thread if you don't want these.)

"Rey.... Luke is NOT your father!" - Maury.

I predict that Rey is, like Anakin Skywalker, a product of just pure luck... aka The Force Did It. I know it's a popular thing to want her so badly to be a Skywalker in some way, but folks... it ain't a thing.

---

Regarding Kylo:

The thing that Kylo slams his helmet down is a grey dust... as in ashes. As in Vader's ashes. To go along with the melted down helmet. And how does he acquire these?

Snoke. Snoke has retrieved these things, and presented them to Ben, explaining how even Luke Skywalker killed his own father, and why would anyone want to follow that kind of a 'hero'? And so Ben goes crazy, kills the others except those Knights of Ren, and there we go, he's Snoke's lap dog... yet still torn by his light issues.

Now... there's a possibility that Kylo is a double agent, and he is fighting VERY HARD to stay in the dark, so that he can wind up near Snoke... and take him out. Which is why Han had to be dealt with. To give him the extra edge to stay in the dark. But it's just a theory. Probably not true. The other idea is that he was tempted... so very tempted... to go back with Han... But he decides to stay and carry out the overall mission, and since Han is not on his side... later Dad. And hey, he'll be pissed he had to do that, so it'll keep him Dark. Win. If you will.

---

Regarding Luke:

Luke is going to resist training Rey. Luke is going to resist going back. Luke is just going to act like the hermit he wants to be... but is going to be forced to come back... or in reality, be forced to flee, so he might as *well* go back... because Kylo, and the rest of the Rens and/or Snoke himself, or something else regarding the First Order, is going to come find him.

I also predict he's going to be a very VERY irritating, to Rey, teacher, when he does bother to become her Master.

---

But the only thing I can predict with certainty is that we'll find out these things and more when Episode 8 comes out, May, 2017.

BE THERE...

Last edited by houtex; 12/28/15 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12/28/15, 11:33 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally Posted by houtex
Bein' a Mustang forum, we're all ate up with Mustang things, Lalo.
mus...tang?

great points and predictions, houtex!!
Old 12/29/15, 12:02 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Bein' a Mustang forum, we're all ate up with Mustang things, Lalo. However, since you started this thing here... well...

Not the best. That would be Empire Strikes Back. And then A New Hope. THEN this one, then 3, then 6, then 2, and then 1. IMO, of course, but everyone will agree with me on this, right? Right.

Sorry again, Kylo isn't the best SW villain. That moniker clearly goes to Palpatine, so far. That guy is evil personified, manipulative and powerful. If it weren't for Vader, and his advanced age, he might still have been Emperor at the end of ROTJ. Kylo is a confused, emo 20something and needs to grow up.

But yes, Adam Driver, along with Daisy, John, and Oscar, were perfectly cast, and their casting should continue to bear fruit through the next two movies. They can ditch 3PO and Leia, though, they're a bit superfluous at this point. Again IMO.

Yes. Han. But Harrison wanted it done, and there's another *really* good (potential) reason for this to have happened.

They could have just never showed Rey getting there. They could have shown the Falcon rising up, and then when she goes into hyperspace, do the donut fade to credits right then. Luke didn't need to even be in this film. But hey, it's a credit for Hamill, so, that's fine.

While I'm talking about excising things, most, if not all, of the Han-Leia scenes could have been removed. They seemed stilted and awkward, even for exes. They don't hate each other, but they aren't comfortable with each other either.

And the rolling spaghetti monsters. Why. Just... why.

Sorry, back to Luke. Yeah, that look. Haunted. Mulling what has to happen next... and not wanting to make the decision that has to be made, MUST be made, in regards to Rey and the rest. I've had people complain about this scene, but to me, I knew everything I needed to know, and not ONE word being said was needed.

Sidenote: Did ya notice during the interrogation of Rey when Kylo slammed his helmet down after taking it off? What it was slammed down on? Huh? DIDJA?! I did. Right off. A powerful item to explain things. Maybe. Maybe not. But still. Why would he slam it on that?

Second sidenote: Captain Phasma has to be the most underwhelming character in Star Wars right now. I mean, Jar Jar is a better character than she is, and I don't much care for him as a character. She's the leader of troopers, and has a commanding presence, and is listened to without question... except for FN-2187, of course, but he's a defect. But when push comes to shove, when it's her own life on the line... she has no problem doing exactly what her captors want her to do. Seriously. What the heck. I mean... she's supposed to be this bad*** b***h. And she *caves*?! Also way much hype and toys for a 5 scene character. What does she have... 3 minutes of screen time? 4? Just... really disappointing. They need to seriously get her on track or just jettison her as a character. Trooper JB-007, the one Rey Jedi Mind Tricks, was a better developed character than Phasma, I want HIM in the chrome suit.

Ok. Rant over.

I've only seen it twice. I plan on about 6 more times, to equal the amount I saw the original Star Wars in the theater when it opened.
I completely agree on ALL of these counts

I saw the first two (IV and V) after standing in line for hours and hours back in the day when you couldn't buy tickets in advance on the Internet. Heck you couldn't even buy tickets in advance for that day. You stood in line for a ticket right before the show and maybe when you got to the front you got a ticket or maybe you didn't. But I distinctly remember standing in line for this when is was 5 years old. And when I came out that first time my life has changed forever. After seeing IV I would never be the same again. And then I saw Empire Strikes Back which is clearly the best of these movies ever made. And probably the best movie ever made and everything since has been a disappointment of some sorts. Some like Episode I have been huge disappointments and others have been pleasant disappointments like this current one.
Old 12/29/15, 12:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where to even begin about the new Star wars movie. Myself and three of my co workers went last week to see this and boy was I pumped for this movie. I mean, I grew up in the early 80's and loved the Star Wars movies. When I heard Disney was making another set of Star Wars movies, I couldn't wait for the new trilogy's.

Granted I'm not dressing up and fighting with light sabers in the movie theater but I really like Star Wars. Well, after seeing the new movie, holy cow! What a huge FREAKING DISAPOINTMENT! You gotta be kidding me. The movie was okay at best and falls on the worst Star Wars movie made of the saga thus far.

Another Giant Death Star that uses a high powered beam to destroy planets???? Really, WTF Disney. Where is the freaking creativity in a new story for Pete Sake? The giant death star was like so done in the original three Star Wars movies. Give me a break.

The new villain sucks ball sack! There was not one thing scarey or intimidating about this new dark side villian. Why take off that paintball helmit looking thing in the first movie. Wtf Disney! That dude sucked and could not hold a jock strap or light saber to Darth Maul or Lord Vader.

The one on one fight scenes sucked *****. No way Ren is kicking the Villains *** when she hasn't had even 32 seconds of any Jedi training. For Pete Sake, she didnt even want to hold the lightsaber as if it was some ***** and she was a good school girl.

Meanwhile the villian can stop a blaster bolt in mid air, throw dudes by flicking his finger all while having a conversation, yet Ren kicks his ***. All she does is close her eyes and thinks about rainbows and puppie dogs. All of a sudden she can now beat the villian who has been highly trained in the Jedi arts and dark side for the past umpteen years.

Get the f out of here. Lacked creativity and I say bring back George Lucas.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/29/15 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12/29/15, 03:26 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Whoa whoa, let's not do something we'll regret. Let Papa George enjoy his retirement

The movie totally plays it safe and keeps the feel of the franchise. Its not groundbreaking by any means, but it feels complete, was very entertaining and was very well paced. A little something to butter us up before they blow us even more away with the next two films, I'm sure.

Kylo Ren annihilating a troop of would be Jedi's, forcing Luke to self-exile, isn't enough to make him intimidating? The whole helmet coming off too early thing; I didn't mind it at all, he was egged on by Rey to take it off, and Rylo being the immature douche, had to, and it wasn't like he was hiding horrific scars or needs the helmet for life support. It's obviously just a tribute to his grandad.

As for Rey being up to the level of Kylo so quickly, I chalk it up to the whole "force balance" of good and evil. Since there is no one else being Jedi (good), all that force in the universe needs to go somewhere. Well, that's a theory. When watching the film the first time I did question Rey's quick mastery, but it does make sense, well to me anyways.
Old 12/29/15, 04:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
My wife and I went to the movie and found it entertaining. Way better than episodes I-III, but seemed to steal a lot from episodes IV-VI (giant base that you have to bring the shields down then fly through a tunnel to destroy it) . We viewed it as a "passing of the torch" movie to introduce new characters and phase out the originals. The biggest disappointment was Kylo removing his mask prior to seeing up with Han. He's supposed to be badass and mysterious, but pulls off the mask anytime someone dares him to? Anyhow, since we don't view Star Wars as a religion like some fans do, we enjoyed it, but it isn't the best movie ever.

Last edited by SpectreH; 12/29/15 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12/29/15, 06:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Lalo
Whoa whoa, let's not do something we'll regret. Let Papa George enjoy his retirement

The movie totally plays it safe and keeps the feel of the franchise. Its not groundbreaking by any means, but it feels complete, was very entertaining and was very well paced. A little something to butter us up before they blow us even more away with the next two films, I'm sure.

Kylo Ren annihilating a troop of would be Jedi's, forcing Luke to self-exile, isn't enough to make him intimidating? The whole helmet coming off too early thing; I didn't mind it at all, he was egged on by Rey to take it off, and Rylo being the immature douche, had to, and it wasn't like he was hiding horrific scars or needs the helmet for life support. It's obviously just a tribute to his grandad.

As for Rey being up to the level of Kylo quickly, I chalk it up to the whole "force balance" of good and evil. Since there is no one else being Jedi (good), all that force in the universe needs to go somewhere. Well, that's a theory. When watching the film the first time I did question Rey's quick mastery, but it does make sense, well to me anyways.
So let me get this straight! Kylo annihilates numerous (troop) of trained Jedi's, forces Luke to vanish into exile who by the way caused Lord Vader to fall and bring balance in the force for decades. BUT: gets his a$$ handed to him by some orphan adult who hasn't received 3 minutes of Jedi force training.

Sorry, even if she is the chosen one, she still needs training. Even Yodi needed training so its absurd to think she doesn't. No reason to hold this fight between the two of them in the first movie. Way to rushed many aspects of the storyline. Lack of creativity in making a new fresh plot. 2 out of 5 stars!
Old 12/29/15, 06:44 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
So let me get this straight! Kylo annihilates numerous (troop) of trained Jedi's, forces Luke to vanish into exile who by the way caused Lord Vader to fall and bring balance in the force for decades. BUT: gets his a$$ handed to him by some orphan adult who hasn't received 3 minutes of Jedi force training.

Sorry, even if she is the chosen one, she still needs training. Even Yodi needed training so its absurd to think she doesn't. No reason to hold this fight between the two of them in the first movie. Way to rushed many aspects of the storyline. Lack of creativity in making a new fresh plot. 2 out of 5 stars!
Agreed!

What a pathetic villain

Almost gets beat by a stormtrooper wielding a light saber for the first time and does get beat by an orphan girl who is "strong" with the force but no training

We all remember what happened to the great one Luke when he went against Vader with merely incomplete training.

It's just stupid stupid stupid. Ruins the whole movie for me.
Old 12/29/15, 08:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Kylo just kills Han.

Chewie just shoots Kylo with his crossbow laser. The same crossbow laser that *flings everyone else it hits 30 feet away from impact*

Only Kylo just kneels down... and is bleeding out.

Remember these things when you complain about the Finn/Rey fight he conducts. Rey, he force flings into a tree, 20 feet up in the air. Shoulda killed her then, to be honest, but that'd be wrong for the movie to do that.

Then Finn has the lightsaber. Not Rey who didn't want anything to do with it. He lights it up, ready to take on this Knight of Ren.... [Insert Scooby Doo Flashback]

Finn is in a fight with TR-8R, so they both know melee. The thing is that Finn is not trained directly with lightsabers, and TR-8R is definitely one with his electric battering ram. So of course Finn does ok, but TR-8R is going to win, except... oh yeah, Wookie blaster flinging his buttocks (and the rest of him naturally follows) 30 feet away. Yay Chewie!

Ok, so he's had a little fighting with the saber, and it's either this, or die like a punk, so he fights. Kylo toys with him, for a little fun, I suppose, and is bleeding out still, remember. But Finn gets a lucky hit, and that ticks off Kylo, who then in about 3 seconds disarms Finn and rakes his back, ending the fight.

Rey has woken up, and in desperation, knowing that she's a Force User, is going to try to get the saber, and does, much to Kylo's surprise.

Now, here's the key. [Another Scooby thing...]

Rey touches the Anakin/Luke lightsaber, and has a very vivid Force Vision

And we're back. So with that... and remembering Maz's words to let the Force come to her (or something like that, I'll have to go look it up or whatever), she fights to defend, which she can do because she's only been doing it for her life on Jakku. She gets stuck, though, and is about to fall, but then she relaxes, much like she did in the interrogation chamber when she got JB-007 to let her out using the Jedi(?) Mind Trick.

She lets the force.. AND the lightsaber... flow through her, and it's through this she learns very quickly (like she does on the Falcon, right, picks things up almost immediately?) and defeats a blood starved and tired, Kylo. Even the Force needs your body to be working right, y'know, being angry and arrogant isn't enough.

And there we go. End scene.

---

One other thing. When we see Kylo doing his thing with his saber, he's usually a lummox. As if the blade is unbalanced... which it is, by the way... and heavy. And as if he's not been well trained. He's a *hack*, and not an artist. He's a heck of a force user, but not a swordsman by any means. He relies on his emotions and not on his skill.

Those two reasons.. his tired due to blood loss, and his clumsiness because untrained and arrogant, is why Rey, the more trained, more at ease in melee, and believing in the Force in full, kicks his butt.

Gotta read between them lines, people.
Old 12/29/15, 08:56 PM
Post *****

Well then why even train to be a Jedi
They'd be better off training as mediums so they could channel the force better
Old 12/29/15, 10:46 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Old 12/29/15, 11:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Kylo just kills Han.

Chewie just shoots Kylo with his crossbow laser. The same crossbow laser that *flings everyone else it hits 30 feet away from impact*

Only Kylo just kneels down... and is bleeding out.

Remember these things when you complain about the Finn/Rey fight he conducts. Rey, he force flings into a tree, 20 feet up in the air. Shoulda killed her then, to be honest, but that'd be wrong for the movie to do that.

Then Finn has the lightsaber. Not Rey who didn't want anything to do with it. He lights it up, ready to take on this Knight of Ren.... [Insert Scooby Doo Flashback]

Finn is in a fight with TR-8R, so they both know melee. The thing is that Finn is not trained directly with lightsabers, and TR-8R is definitely one with his electric battering ram. So of course Finn does ok, but TR-8R is going to win, except... oh yeah, Wookie blaster flinging his buttocks (and the rest of him naturally follows) 30 feet away. Yay Chewie!

Ok, so he's had a little fighting with the saber, and it's either this, or die like a punk, so he fights. Kylo toys with him, for a little fun, I suppose, and is bleeding out still, remember. But Finn gets a lucky hit, and that ticks off Kylo, who then in about 3 seconds disarms Finn and rakes his back, ending the fight.

Rey has woken up, and in desperation, knowing that she's a Force User, is going to try to get the saber, and does, much to Kylo's surprise.

Now, here's the key. [Another Scooby thing...]

Rey touches the Anakin/Luke lightsaber, and has a very vivid Force Vision

And we're back. So with that... and remembering Maz's words to let the Force come to her (or something like that, I'll have to go look it up or whatever), she fights to defend, which she can do because she's only been doing it for her life on Jakku. She gets stuck, though, and is about to fall, but then she relaxes, much like she did in the interrogation chamber when she got JB-007 to let her out using the Jedi(?) Mind Trick.

She lets the force.. AND the lightsaber... flow through her, and it's through this she learns very quickly (like she does on the Falcon, right, picks things up almost immediately?) and defeats a blood starved and tired, Kylo. Even the Force needs your body to be working right, y'know, being angry and arrogant isn't enough.

And there we go. End scene.

---

One other thing. When we see Kylo doing his thing with his saber, he's usually a lummox. As if the blade is unbalanced... which it is, by the way... and heavy. And as if he's not been well trained. He's a *hack*, and not an artist. He's a heck of a force user, but not a swordsman by any means. He relies on his emotions and not on his skill.

Those two reasons.. his tired due to blood loss, and his clumsiness because untrained and arrogant, is why Rey, the more trained, more at ease in melee, and believing in the Force in full, kicks his butt.

Gotta read between them lines, people.
I must of missed all that fluff and stuff in the movie you just wrote about. All I saw was some huge planet sized death star that harnesses the sun's rays and then shoots the sun's beam to destroy a planet. I saw the big bad villian cry like a vigina because he was having daddy issues, then pokes his pops (Han Solo) through the stomach when not looking and giving him a hug.

Crying my a$$.
Old 12/29/15, 11:38 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,616 Posts
Did anyone else see the irony of Finns battle with TR-8R (or what ever his name is). This storm trooper has the only electric battering ram which is impervious to a light saber and of course meets up with someone who of course has a light saber? Hokie hokie hokie
Old 12/29/15, 11:48 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Did anyone else see the irony of Finns battle with TR-8R (or what ever his name is). This storm trooper has the only electric battering ram which is impervious to a light saber and of course meets up with someone who of course has a light saber? Hokie hokie hokie
the power of the force works in mysterious ways
Old 12/30/15, 07:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I'm taking the family a second time tomorrow at 4:55. Round 2 here we go. This time we picked seats in the back center so we could see more. The first time we were closer to the screen. This will be good.
Old 12/30/15, 09:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by GrnT
I'm taking the family a second time tomorrow at 4:55. Round 2 here we go. This time we picked seats in the back center so we could see more. The first time we were closer to the screen. This will be good.
Rock out bro.
Old 12/30/15, 10:37 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally Posted by GrnT
nice!!
i watched it twice as well
Old 12/31/15, 09:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thinkin' Round 3 is gonna happen tomorrow or Saturday, I'm still deciding.

But what isn't being decided is what... 3D and IMAX. I have it on good authority it's the bomb.com

We shall see, of course.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Star Wars!!! (Spoilers Within)