Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Sharing Internet Connection

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/06, 12:58 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having problems with sharing internet connection between 2 computers, so maybe somebody can help me. Until today I was using dial-up and Computer 1 was main computer where setup was. I shared internet connection with Computer 2 by having one cable going from Computer 1 to hub and second cable going from hub to Computer 2. And it was working.

However, today I got DSL.

Computer 1 is still the main computer where setup is and internet connection is working fine as long as I don't connect cable from Computer 2 to the hub. If I do that then I get message from both computers that there was conflic with IP addresses somewhere on the network and neither internet works.

Anyone knows how can I fix this and how to share connection with Computer 2.

Thanks
Old 2/28/06, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not very familiar with DSL but if your DSL modem has multiple outgoing ports, then you most likely need to hook up Computer 1 to one port and Computer 2 to another port and remove the hub.
I think whats happening is the modem is assigning the first port an IP, and since Computer 1 and 2 are both using that port, they are having a conflict.
If your modem only has one port, then I'm at a loss.

-65205's Son
Old 2/28/06, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

DSL rocks, you will be extremely pleased with the result. At our house, we have the DSL modem connecting to a wireless switch via ethernet port. When we first hooked it up we had the same problems till me wife (she is a computer geek at work ) went in and changed the IP address for each machine on the network ( not sure how to do this, but maybe someone else can chime in) no problems since.

Have fun with the DSL!
Old 2/28/06, 02:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Zoran,

You need to buy a Cable/DSL rounter in order share the connection.
Old 2/28/06, 02:12 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

DSL modem have only 1 port.

I like the speed of DSL, but this way my brother and I have to share one computer with internet even though we have 2 computers in the house.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomServo92 @ February 28, 2006, 3:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Zoran,

You need to buy a Cable/DSL rounter in order share the connection.
[/b][/quote]

One of these?

Will I be getting same message (about IP conflict) if I use router? Do I need to configure it or something like that?

Old 2/28/06, 02:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red Star @ February 28, 2006, 3:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
DSL modem have only 1 port.

I like the speed of DSL, but this way my brother and I have to share one computer with internet even though we have 2 computers in the house.
One of these?

Will I be getting same message (about IP conflict) if I use router? Do I need to configure it or something like that?

[/b][/quote]

Yes (providing that's an image of a DLS router). You won't get the IP conflict and you will need to configure it but it's pretty simple. Just follow the instructions.
Old 2/28/06, 02:20 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Thanks Mark. I will try it.
Old 2/28/06, 02:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red Star @ February 28, 2006, 3:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks Mark. I will try it.
[/b][/quote]

I've been using a D-Link router for a couple of years without a problem so you might want to shop them as well as Linksys.
Old 2/28/06, 04:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Hello - This is Mrs. Chuck. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

This is the easiest way to set it up. DSL comes in to the house and hooks up via phone line to the DSL modem. The phone line usually goes into the "line" port on the back of the modem.

DSL modem in turn hooks up via Cat5 (data) cable to a router. The cable goes from "ethernet" port on the back of the modem to the "internet" port on the router.

The router typically has 4 additional ports - those run to your PCs. Routers also can have built-in wireless, so if your PC has a wireless card or adapter in it, you don't need to run a physical cable from the router to the PC. (We are complete techno-geeks here at our house, so we have my laptop and Chuck's PC that are wireless, and our son's PC is hooked up with a cable. One router can do both.)

Both D-Link and Linksys make popular - and cheap - routers. They are very easy to set up and both have decent support sites on the Web (which it sounds like you can get to from at least one PC, ha ha!).

As far as the router setup is concerned, by default the router will be configured to dish out TCP/IP addresses. For example, our router is 192.168.1.1. Chuck's PC gets 192.168.1.2 and my laptop usually gets 192.168.1.3. You don't have to get extremely geeky here - it usually works right out of the box.

Hope this helps!
Jan
Old 2/28/06, 04:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can force the second computer into a second IP address so long as you have a router. It will usually choose them for you, but I force mine so I can assign port forwarding to my computer alone.
Old 2/28/06, 05:22 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Thanks everybody. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Old 3/8/06, 01:05 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Zoran,

I think the easiest thing to do is to get a wireless router with a dsl modem built in. I did this at home and it works like a dream. this is the one I bought, it just plugs into the phone line and that is it. No cat5 cables lying around the house for me!

Old 3/8/06, 04:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jgsmuzzy @ March 8, 2006, 3:08 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Zoran,

I think the easiest thing to do is to get a wireless router with a dsl modem built in. I did this at home and it works like a dream. this is the one I bought, it just plugs into the phone line and that is it. No cat5 cables lying around the house for me!

[/b][/quote]
DSL with a wireless router is deffinitly the way to go. i have it on my laptop and i can go 3 houses down before i lose conection! it is absolutly fantastic!!
Old 3/10/06, 09:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Great I'll move two doors down and share a connection [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] kidding but you have to be careful to have security set up that someone cannot tap in on your line. I'm still trying to work out all mine and now trying to do a simple get the blackberry that have evdo speed just a bit faster than dsl to work as a modem for my lap top. Zoran I currently have a dsl at home running to my router and then you should be able to run the two from there easy as long as your internet provider allows at least two to run as it has to register that other ipaddress to run.
Old 3/11/06, 08:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I do not need security here (although we do have it )....i own everything within reception range [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 3/11/06, 08:47 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ditch the DSL and get Cable... lol jk i'm sure DSL will seem fast to you since you are coming from dial up...but the difference of DSL to Cable is like the difference of Dial up to DSL.
Old 3/11/06, 10:42 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Knight @ March 11, 2006, 9:50 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
ditch the DSL and get Cable... lol jk i'm sure DSL will seem fast to you since you are coming from dial up...but the difference of DSL to Cable is like the difference of Dial up to DSL.
[/b][/quote]

I had Cable and I hated it. I got more spyware in few hours with Cable than all those years with dial-up. Also, often I would get message "network cable disconnected" even though I didn't do anything. I had to restart computer in order to work.
Old 3/11/06, 11:20 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red Star @ March 11, 2006, 12:45 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I had Cable and I hated it. I got more spyware in few hours with Cable than all those years with dial-up. Also, often I would get message "network cable disconnected" even though I didn't do anything. I had to restart computer in order to work.
[/b][/quote]

Uh, that would be because you now have a high speed connection. Besides, if you would stop going to the sites that promote spyware you would be fine [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Now that you are on high speed I strongly suggest you get a firewall, anti-spyware software and make sure your antivirus is up to date. if you are running Windows XP, make sure you have service pack 2 installed or your system will get flooded with spyware. Microsoft has a free anti-spyware program for Windows XP and it actually works pretty good. Get Lavasoft adaware and run it on a weekly basis, especially if you go to a lot of gaming sites. Those sites are well know for spreading malware crap.
Old 3/11/06, 11:58 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adrenalin @ March 11, 2006, 12:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Uh, that would be because you now have a high speed connection. Besides, if you would stop going to the sites that promote spyware you would be fine [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Now that you are on high speed I strongly suggest you get a firewall, anti-spyware software and make sure your antivirus is up to date. if you are running Windows XP, make sure you have service pack 2 installed or your system will get flooded with spyware. Microsoft has a free anti-spyware program for Windows XP and it actually works pretty good. Get Lavasoft adaware and run it on a weekly basis, especially if you go to a lot of gaming sites. Those sites are well know for spreading malware crap.
[/b][/quote]

I wasn't visiting any differents sites with cable that I did with dial-up. So we're talking about few cars and sports sites.
I have firewall, anit-spyware, my anti-virus is up to date, and I have SP2. I had it since I bought computer.
Old 3/11/06, 12:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red Star @ March 11, 2006, 1:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I wasn't visiting any differents sites with cable that I did with dial-up. So we're talking about few cars and sports sites.
I have firewall, anit-spyware, my anti-virus is up to date, and I have SP2. I had it since I bought computer.
[/b][/quote]

I've had cable for two years now and have never had a spyware problem. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Sharing Internet Connection