Screaming toddlers

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/09, 09:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Screaming toddlers

I found this, and *had* to comment.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33555007/?gt1=43001

Now, while I was not there, so I can't tell how much of a pain in the ears the kid was being... but, as an airplane nut, I totally agree with this. But then, as an adult, I agree with this for restaurants, movie theaters, and many other venues where parent bring their children who don't know how to act yet. Kids go ballistic at the strangest times, and I'm sorry, but if we're going to be in a tube, restaurant, movie theatre, and other venues of close, enclosed quarters... You got to take the kid out.

Often I've been the glaring one AT THE PARENT. As in "Lady/Sir, get a hold of your kid." And there was once where I couldn't help myself, *I* outbursted and said "C'mon, people, your kids are out of control! Fix it!"

Wasn't real happy I couldn't contain that, but it worked...

I can say that I've been in a situation where a kid was acting like this: My niece in a restaurant. She was throwing a tantrum for no particular reason. When it was obvious she wasn't going to shut up (and I hate to say it, but nobody else was going to/ could do it...), I picked her up, and took her outside. That made her more mad at first, but then the obvious finally got through: She was being separated from the group, *and* she was going nowhere else, and that was worse... and she got quiet. We went back in. All was good in the world.

I'm not saying I taught any lessons, but instead of 50 people being assaulted, it was only me. And I was fine with that. Because it's the right thing to do.

In this case, of course, Momma isn't going to like it, because she's paid money, has to be there, etc, etc... and therefore ol' Momma here is offended, and wants compensation: "How dare they throw us off the plane!"

Tough. You messed up trying to think "oh, it'll be ok." The very thought that "I thought he would quiet down when the plane started moving" indicates a history of tantrums and outbursts. I'm gettin' a little cough syrup. (is that bad?)

But better yet? If I knew the kid was going to be an issue, I'm not going. Or I'm leaving him at a trustworthy place like my parents, or close friends. **I** would not submit others to the potential (except those I'd be paying to keep the little tornado.) Call me sympathetic to their ears. Although that's a really long nickname, and I don't think it'll stick, but if it floats your boat, g'head.

/Meh. Peoples is dum.
//Or is it just me?
///Don't think so, the poll's pretty much siding with the airline on this one.
////But a jury and/or judge probably won't. It is in California... Sigh...
/////They'll just pay her and go off about their business. Because that's how Southwest rolls.
Old 10/31/09, 05:40 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with you dude.. My mom told me about this yesterday and frankly i wish this sort of thing happened more often

and yes, peoples iz dum
Old 11/1/09, 06:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
adult formula nyquill will quiet them down right nicely lol
Old 11/1/09, 08:44 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
sorry to say this but i have Zero tolerance for screaming kids. I probably would have been the one holding open the door for this woman. My luck on planes blows anyway (no pilots, broke engines etc) so I have a seriously crappy history on flights, now throw in a screaming kid with a mother who is a dolt and heads are going to roll!

I can almost give them a pass if the plain was nid flight and it all started..not much you can do at that point BUT in a resturant or movie or some situation where you can isolate the child fairly easiyly and parents wont do that..Oh man I"m actualy getting pissed just thinking about it. I gotta stop typing my bloody pressure is going up.

Last edited by burningman; 11/1/09 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11/1/09, 09:34 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's what happens when the State tells parents how they can't discipline their kids. If I understand it correctly, if you spank your kid in public you might get arrested. (I don't have kids so I don't know for sure... just headlines I've seen).

And although this kid needed a swat in the butt right away, keep one thing in mind for kids on planes - the change in air pressure hurts kids ears worse than adults, and they don't know how to clear them...
Old 11/1/09, 10:25 AM
I lust for a M24

Ya know, I used to be one of the guys who couldn't stand crying babies. The truth is, I was too self-centered and got angry when a TWO YEAR OLD would cause me discomfort. After having a child I realized that there's no switch to turn them off (I know Glenn's sense of humor of drugging them was a joke). I also learned to control my emotions, this is part of growing up which doesn't stop at 18. You can threaten a two year old all you want, there's no way to instantly cure them. What are you going to do? Put a gag in the kids mouth? Smack him? Duct tape? Saying stop crying doesn't always do the trick. I've got a very well behaved two year old who has been on over a dozen flights. Not once have we created any problems, but only a couple times has he been 'perfect'. At this point in my life when I'm on a plane and hear a kid crying I feel bad for the parents, because I know that odds are they're doing everything they can do to stop the crying.
Yeah, we can all share the story about a out of control kid and a parents just sitting there listening to iTunes or reading a magazine. But in normal situations with good people trying to keep their kids under control, it seems that many times it's the adults who need just as much help with controlling their emotions.
Flame away.
Old 11/1/09, 10:46 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I also learned to control my emotions, this is part of growing up which doesn't stop at 18.
You know I can appreciate that.

Don't laugh, but I learned tremendous patience in the last 20+ years of breeding horses/raising foals. While there is some behavior that is unacceptable - and they have to learn/know that with correction/discipline - for safety with humans and themselves - most things simply require patience on my part. LOTS!!!

Like a two year old, horses can't speak back and it takes time to figure out what they are trying to communicate/respond back to you. So in the early years my lack of patience as a greenhorn did more harm than good, and some of my mistakes took a couple of years to undo. And like kids, each one has an individual personality and you have to learn how to respond correctly to each one.

Like the saying goes "who learns more, the student or the teacher?".

Last edited by cdynaco; 11/1/09 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11/1/09, 06:15 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO, despite "children being children" that is no excuse to let the child go on crying or for bad behavior. The parents should do the responsible thing and at least try mitigate it. In this case, ignoring it (hoping it will stop on its own) or making excuses does nothing for all involved or inconvenienced by it. Meh. Too bad there wasn't a bratty little kid sitting behind her kicking the back of her seat constantly throughout the flight...
Old 11/1/09, 06:22 PM
V6 Member

Ya know, I used to be one of the guys who couldn't stand crying babies. The truth is, I was too self-centered and got angry when a TWO YEAR OLD would cause me discomfort. After having a child I realized that there's no switch to turn them off (I know Glenn's sense of humor of drugging them was a joke). I also learned to control my emotions, this is part of growing up which doesn't stop at 18. You can threaten a two year old all you want, there's no way to instantly cure them. What are you going to do? Put a gag in the kids mouth? Smack him? Duct tape? Saying stop crying doesn't always do the trick. I've got a very well behaved two year old who has been on over a dozen flights. Not once have we created any problems, but only a couple times has he been 'perfect'. At this point in my life when I'm on a plane and hear a kid crying I feel bad for the parents, because I know that odds are they're doing everything they can do to stop the crying.
Yeah, we can all share the story about a out of control kid and a parents just sitting there listening to iTunes or reading a magazine. But in normal situations with good people trying to keep their kids under control, it seems that many times it's the adults who need just as much help with controlling their emotions.
Flame away.
Totally agree with you. My son is 2 months old and when he's hungry or something bothers him, theres no off button for his crying. Yes it has alot to do with how a parent raises her kid but theres times where you have no control.
Old 11/1/09, 06:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
some say to ignore bad behavior and reward good behavior. All kids have some thing they value (their currency if you will) once a parent figures it out your golden. Even at two years old ... its their passifier a bottle a blanket the list goes on. I have raised 3 kids and there have been very few times if any when I couldn't control them.
Old 11/1/09, 09:22 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by hi5.0
IMO, despite "children being children" that is no excuse to let the child go on crying or for bad behavior. The parents should do the responsible thing and at least try mitigate it. In this case, ignoring it (hoping it will stop on its own) or making excuses does nothing for all involved or inconvenienced by it. Meh. Too bad there wasn't a bratty little kid sitting behind her kicking the back of her seat constantly throughout the flight...
Amen brutha
Crying babies don't get a pass in my book if the parents aren't willing to try to fix the situation. Hell at that point I hate the parents as much as the rug rat.

Last edited by burningman; 11/1/09 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11/1/09, 10:15 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by burningman
Amen brutha
Crying babies don't get a pass in my book if the parents aren't willing to try to fix the situation. Hell at that point I hate the parents as much as the rug rat.
There are circumstances where you cant do much to stop a baby from crying like when theyre teething. Its not always the parents fault (you cant "fix" a baby teething). Yes theres parents out there that dont care about their children or take into consideration their surrounding but that doesnt mean thats all parents.
Old 11/1/09, 10:29 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Flame away.
Well said! I haven't had any kids yet, but I've had my fair share of taking care of younger siblings. I'd like to see some of the zero-tolerance folks take on parenting for a change so they can see how "easy" it really is.
Old 11/1/09, 10:31 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Sorry but if you are a parent and taking your teething child out to a restaurant then you don't get a pass.
If you child is sick and crying then why on earth are you at a restaurant with the child?
If you kid is just crying for crying sake..walk outside and calm the child down, if that doesn't work take the child home.
This really isn't rocket science.

If we are in a situation where there are no options..Like a flying plane then ok I'll deal gritting my teeth the entire time but I'll deal.

And I never said all parents.

As for Zero tollerance folks taking care of children..Been there done that with my siblings and thier children and a GF's kids. I've taken care of for extended periods of time everything from infants to teens and alot in between. Now I'm sure someone will say "it's different when it's your own children" and to that I say "I hope I never find out.

And we are saying that the idea here is not to get the child to stop crying although that would be nice, but to get the child out of the situation where it becomes and issue with everyone else in the area.
Go on let you kid cry I don't care. Just take the child out of the room.

Last edited by burningman; 11/1/09 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11/1/09, 11:13 PM
V6 Member

Sorry but if you are a parent and taking your teething child out to a restaurant then you don't get a pass.
If you child is sick and crying then why on earth are you at a restaurant with the child?
If you kid is just crying for crying sake..walk outside and calm the child down, if that doesn't work take the child home.
This really isn't rocket science.

If we are in a situation where there are no options..Like a flying plane then ok I'll deal gritting my teeth the entire time but I'll deal.

And I never said all parents.

As for Zero tollerance folks taking care of children..Been there done that with my siblings and thier children and a GF's kids. I've taken care of for extended periods of time everything from infants to teens and alot in between. Now I'm sure someone will say "it's different when it's your own children" and to that I say "I hope I never find out.

And we are saying that the idea here is not to get the child to stop crying although that would be nice, but to get the child out of the situation where it becomes and issue with everyone else in the area.
Go on let you kid cry I don't care. Just take the child out of the room.
Do you have your own children by any chance??? I thought the same way before i had my own child. You wont understand it until youve experienced both sides and trust me im against letting a baby cry for a good amount of time specially in public. At the same time, teething isnt considered having a sick baby so why wouldnt someone with a teething child go out. People with children still have lives. But whatever, the subject was about 2 yr old which is different from a infant. Just dont judge unless youve personally gone through it.
Old 11/1/09, 11:29 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

I meant the teething and sick as two seperate items..apologies for not being clearer and no I don't have kids and I thought I made that more than abundantly clear with my "Now I'm sure someone will say "it's different when it's your own children" and to that I say "I hope I never find out." comment but I guess you missed that bit.

Last edited by burningman; 11/1/09 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11/2/09, 07:15 AM
I lust for a M24

When a child is teething, it's not like they're constantly crying, fussy, or in pain. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it does not. This is your gums being stretched and cut open, so I doubt it's comfortable. Parents still need to be able to function in society even when they're child is teething. You can't expect people to remain seculed in their homes for weeks at a time so that a grown adult isn't inconvienced by a child in pain. I'll admit, I used to be upset by it too, but like I said - It's that whole 'still growing up' thing I mentioned earlier.

(none of the above directed at anyone in particular)

"Now I'm sure someone will say "it's different when it's your own children" and to that I say "I hope I never find out."
Ya know, that pretty much sums up why you feel the way you do.
Old 11/2/09, 07:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
So, some of you advocate not throwing the shrieking kid off the plane? Interesting. Can't wait to see what you say after having one of those flights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0cYJUqJys

And that from a man with 5 kids.

/"G'bye Jeffrey!!!"
Old 11/2/09, 07:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
This is a frequent conversation we have about crying /screaming children in Church...
Old 11/2/09, 07:47 AM
I lust for a M24

Cool

Originally Posted by houtex
So, some of you advocate not throwing the shrieking kid off the plane? Interesting. Can't wait to see what you say after having one of those flights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0cYJUqJys

And that from a man with 5 kids.

/"G'bye Jeffrey!!!"
Didn't watch the video (I'm at work), but honestly I don't advocate throwing a kid off of a plane unless they are totally out of control. Unfortunately, airplanes anymore are nothing more than a way to get from point A to point B. I typically bring earplugs for my flights. Nothing really bothers me. My skin has grown thicker than to get upset by a kid.

Quick Reply: Screaming toddlers