Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Road trip time!

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/13, 12:42 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip time!

Well folks, I am hitting the road in my Mustang, headed to Michigan from Texas, I will be passing through Tennessee, Arkansas, Illinois, etc. any suggestions for sights to see along the way? Anybody wanna meet for lunch or anything like that...shoot me a PM
Old 9/7/13, 10:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well Earl, if you're tooling down I-55 through the bootheel of Missouri and it's anywhere near time to stop and eat, pull off in Sikeston and chow down at Lambert's, the home of "throwed rolls". It's an experience. If you'd care to elaborate on the route you'll be taking, you might get a few suggestions. I did that trip last year (central Indiana to Houston, TX) for Thanksgiving. I'd like to go again any time, but it's an awful long haul when you're by yourself.
Old 9/7/13, 10:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Well, it's a little out of the way, but have you ever heard of or driven the Natchez Trace Parkway? It's actually a National Park that follows the old Natchez Trace walked by folks MANY years ago. Farmers from the Ohio River Valley would build barges to float their crops down the Mississippi to Natchez or New Orleans. When they got there they would sell barge and all. There was no way to get the barge back up the Mississippi. Then, with cash in pocket, they would walk home.

The NTP is a narrow strip perhaps only a hundred yards wide or so that runs from Natchez, MS to near Nashville, TN. In many places you can't see anything beyond the tress on either side of the two-lane road. It is closed to commercial traffic, limited access, and has a 50 MPH speed limit. There is very little traffic and it is a wonderfully relaxing drive past trees dripping with Spanish Moss.

In Western Indiana you will find Parke County, pretty much straight west of Indianapolis. There are quite a few covered bridges there and some are still open to traffic.