Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Painted my brake calipers...

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/05, 09:49 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I decided to paint my brake calipers red last Saturday. My neighbor has an '89 5.0 stang built for the strip and I was helping him with some electrical issues on it and then when we finished on his we got started on my brake calipers. We got it up on stands and painted all of the calipers, finally got it done with all 4 tires back on the ground about 2am...we must have been tired because WE PUT ONE OF THE BRAKE PADS BACK ON BACKWARDS! The next day I hear one of the brakes grinding...so after a long sunday of fixing that problem, I now have swapped out my rear brake pads and had brake check machine my rotor that I tore up :shock: . It was a bad day. But anyways, my calipers are painted now and since the price was high...I thought I would share some pictures with anyone that would look...
Old 1/26/05, 09:51 PM
GT Member

more...
Old 1/26/05, 10:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

It seemed so simple when you started didn't it? haha

I did mine a couple months ago and ran into a couple problems. First the brush fell apart on me! I was painting the first caliper and all of a sudden the brush top just came out! :bang: I had to buy a regular paint brush to finish them up.

Then the yellow turned out to be a different shade than advertised. I think it looks okay but its just not what I expected. Two months later and no chipping so thats great.
Old 1/26/05, 10:29 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Ballz@January 26, 2005, 11:29 PM
It seemed so simple when you started didn't it? haha

I did mine a couple months ago and ran into a couple problems. First the brush fell apart on me! I was painting the first caliper and all of a sudden the brush top just came out! :bang: I had to buy a regular paint brush to finish them up.

Then the yellow turned out to be a different shade than advertised. I think it looks okay but its just not what I expected. Two months later and no chipping so thats great.
Yeah, it did seem simple when I started. Which kit did you use? I used the duplicolor brush on kit...and I too had trouble with the hair coming out of the brush...my calipers have a few hairs embedded in them now. I am going to touch mine up in a few weeks...I am a perfectionist...what can I say?
Old 1/26/05, 10:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

I used the same kit. I at first thought it'd be smarter to get a different color than yellow. That way I wouldn't worry about it not matching.

I used the Duplicolor kit as well. I was in line at Advanced Auto Parts and picked it up.

I also took the time to clean my wheels while the paint dried. They were so caked with brake dust, tar and just pure crap that it took me 30 minutes a wheel! Now I can just spray them off with a water hose and they look good as new.
Old 1/27/05, 03:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

lemme see a burnout GTO
Old 1/27/05, 04:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

That settles it. Cobra kit for the front and back on my car, black calipers all around. Yours look great though, good job.
Old 1/27/05, 08:20 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by lilbossman@January 27, 2005, 4:50 PM
lemme see a burnout GTO
The only video I have with a burnout is too big to post here and I have no where to host it. I am going to do another burnout video soon though.
Old 1/27/05, 08:21 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by mustangfun101@January 27, 2005, 5:29 PM
That settles it. Cobra kit for the front and back on my car, black calipers all around. Yours look great though, good job.
Thanks! But don't underestimate how much work doing this can be. Good luck!