Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

The not-perfect Perfect Game

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/10, 10:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The not-perfect Perfect Game

I don't see a topic on it, but I have to put this down somewhere.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...stant-replay/1

The contention is whether instant replay in baseball should be expanded.

I'm with Selig and Jeter on this, where would it stop? For this reason alone, I'm not terribly for instant replay in baseball.

However, when it's pretty dang obvious that everyone, to a person, everywhere, including the umpire himself can say "oh yeah... that was terrible." Then replay makes sense. Getting it *right* is better than what happened, and worth every penny.

The obvious problem that every one has is twofold: History, and tolerance.

History, because in the past, when replay wasn't terribly available like it is today, there have been plenty of blown calls such as this. I don't know of too many historically significant ones like this one was, as it's a part of Detroit Tiger's history (no perfect games yet... at this time) and also MLB, as perfect games aren't terribly often in the first place.

Tolerance, as in the threshold of 'pain' that you could endure while instant replay is reviewed. How many calls. How close a determination.

It can get stupid fast. In tennis, they use a frickin' LASER to determine if a ball is in or out. How screwed up is that? All because of "You canNOT be SERIOUS!". Please. Deal.

But if it's horrible, fix it. This is horrible. This needs fixing. I know it's precedent setting, and there may be others that might apply, but this is *history*. Way more than just some game. If it were 'just some game', then nobody'd care.

However, it appears that Selig is not inclined to fix it. Therefore, the only way to fix that problem is to hit the pocket books. So... all MLB fans should boycott all games and not watch TV, or listen to radio, etc. regarding baseball. Except for Detroit Tiger games, to show the support for their history that was robbed.

That'll show Selig who's boss.

/I'm sorta thinking that's not gonna happen...
Old 6/4/10, 11:06 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The NFL has the challenge flag. I think that's a good model to limit the number of contested calls.
The NHL automatically reviews all goals that are questionable.

I don't think it would be feasible or appropriate to review calls for strikes or ***** though.
Old 6/4/10, 11:30 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NBA also reviews all shots at the end of the quarter, and review questionable 3 point shots during timeouts.

If all the other major sports have found ways to integrate it without a problem why can't the MLB? Especially since baseball has the most breaks in the action and ample time to review.
Old 6/4/10, 03:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I agree to limiting the number. I have been thinking about this a lot the past few days. I think giving each team 3 Review Requests a game wouldn't be unreasonable, and I don't think it would slow the game down much because baseball is generally called pretty accurately. It's pretty obvious when a call is blown, and most of the time the coaches and umps spend 10 minutes arguing about it anyway; this way would eliminate the arguing, the officials can review the call, and the game can move on. I don't think there should be a penalty either, although I can see the MLB imposing an "out" on the team who disputes a call and the officials find the ruling on the field to stand.
Old 6/4/10, 07:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Well, I'm not of the opinion that the teams should be able to challenge things in any way. That is, in my opinion, just not an option. Baseball is about a lot of judgement, and the umps are supposed to get it right. And so when a judgement is made, much like the Supreme Court, that's that. (well...)

It's only when it's really *really* wrong. Obvious. And it's as simple as giving me a paycheck to sit in a stadium booth watching the instant replays on the broadcasts. If I see something terribly obvious, I'll page the plate umpire, and say "um... you might want to have a look at this one, that really isn't right."

And then the ump in question plus the plate ump go have a look, chat, and in one minute, we're done.

Again, **obvious**. A horrible travesty type thing. Such as this.

/ok, well, I'll admit, 'travesty' and a baseball game don't exactly go together... still.
Old 6/4/10, 11:17 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
only things that are game changing should be called. Like homeruns and close plays such as that one. if you challenge ***** and strikes you'll be there all day, and the game is long enough as is.

I think selig should overturn that call, simply because it would have been out #27. Any other time, you'd have had multiple people up afterwords and anything could happen.