Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

The Nintendo Revolution

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/05, 07:30 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
IGN has just launched their 'revolution' page and added some specs to the mix.

While part of me is not happy with it, I'm still waiting to see, and I'll explain why.

Nintendo has firmly said they will not fight with Sony/MS on their level
(but I guess being a video game console, the comparisons will be there regardless)

-The game system itself will support the 'virtual console' in which any Nintendo games (1st party/2nd party exclusive games) from any of the NES, SNES, N64 will be downloadable/playable.

-The system is fully backwards compatible with GameCube games (it'll have plugs for the cube controllers and memory cards) The games will go into the disc slot, as will revolution games.

-System RAM is said to be up to 108MB (compared to the 24 or 32 that was in the Cube. (basically the system will be twice to 3 times powerful than the cube.

-The CPU and GPU are extensions of the Cubes processors. (developers have said basically as powerful as an XBOX or slightly more powerful ((xbox..not Xbox360))

-They will not support HD games. Only up to 480p

-512MB built in system RAM (for save games, downloads etc)

-WiFi built in, just like the DS

-The discs will hold up to 4.7GB single layer and if I can remember correctly, 8.5GB dual layer. Compared to the 1.5GB GC discs

-The controller (which we've all seen) is the key to this system. Also, not all of its secrets nor final design has been revealed.

-PRICE -> between 99-149 bucks (this is awsome if true!)
I don't want to have to spend over 400 bones on a system every 5 years...for just updated graphics...

I can't wait to play this system.
Seeing how the new Zelda game, and RE4 look on the cube.
Games that will be on the revolution will look awsome... but will obviously for system limitations .. not be on par with the X360 and PS3
Graphics wise....

Gameplay wise... i have NO doubts that the Rev will decimate the X360 and PS3 in regards to control. (at least, until Sony and PS3 rip off the 3D idea...which I'm sure we all realize will happen... its the next evolution in gaming)
I'd rather be playing a first person shooter with 'shotgun controller' than playing a prettier version of the same game with an analog stick...

Now..if Sony/MS add this to their console...
Then I guess you get the control AND the pretty..hehe
Old 12/8/05, 07:42 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Graphics don't excite me as much as they used to when I was younger. Of course, it would have been cool if Nintendo was almost at the level of PS3 and 360 in terms of graphics, but good graphics are good graphics... As long as it looks smooth and objects move smoothly, I'll live.

About the HD TV thing, I'm dissapointed. They had HD tv's in their sneek peaks... didn't Bush sign something that is going to force everyone to get an HD t.v. or buy an HD thing to make the TV into HD by 2009 or something? (or this I just pull that one straight out of my ****?)

Gameplay of course is going to change everything... being able to weild Links sword is going to be awesome!

The Price! WOW!
Old 12/8/05, 08:15 AM
I Have No Life

I agree... The games will look good... regardless...
They won't be 'wow it looks real life' like...

The 3D controller is what really pumps me up.

Apparently Ubisoft is already working on a First Person Shooter.
And think about Metroid Prime 3 which will no doubt use the controller as the gun...
Old 12/8/05, 08:21 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
480P is in the Digital TV spec. Basically that'll be Progresive Scan DVD quality. Not bad, but not HD either.

Not all TV's or broadcasters have to move to HD broadcasts. Thats a misconception. They just have to move to digital broadcasts (i.e. nomore NTSC Tuner, but rather a ATSC).

I get all of my locals "digitally" now -- and only ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX and WB are broadcasting in HD (720P and above) -- UPN, PBS/NPT, etc. broadcast digitally but in 480P and stripped down bandwidth to boot in the case of PAX and PBS/NPT.

A new controller won't be enough to get me to buy a new system, though.

What will keep Ninetendo going is they have a lot more "Kids" and "Kid Friendly" games -- and their price. I still prefer the XBox/Xbox 360 to Nintendo.
Old 12/8/05, 09:13 AM
I Have No Life

You'll change your mind when you use the new controller
<shaking my FIST>

Tell me a rifle/shotgun controller wouldn't be great for RE games...
It just opens up a whole realm of control.

You can tell..I'm giddy.

BUT they better take advantage of it..not just a flash in the pan idea. The idea's are there, but now people have to take advantage of them.
Old 12/8/05, 11:33 AM

Are the controllers wireless?

And, does Mario have as shotgun, too?
Old 12/8/05, 11:52 AM
I Have No Life

Have you never seen the controller?

Its wireless... and its like a DVD remote (crosshair.. couple of buttons front/back)
Then on the bottom it has a port, that other controller types or expansions can be connected to.

Like a wire to another controller with an analog stick and 2 more trigger buttons (the nunchuk style controller)

Theres also a 'standard' looking controller to play 3rd party games that can be attached to it.

Rumble built in etc...

AND the expansion pack can be used with say a shotgun/sniper add on or whatever anyone wants to build...
Old 12/8/05, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Personally I think Nintendo is slowly but surely making it's way out of the console world. The only saving grace they will have is if the revolution does maintain a low price. I do however, believe that they will eventually go the way of Sega, and become strictly a game manufacturer.
Old 12/8/05, 12:45 PM
I Have No Life

I doubt it...Nintendo stated when it stops making hardware it will stop making games (something to that effect)

I don't think they could bare making Mario for MS or Sony...

I agree to a point...
The turnaround time on games right now is so insane...because of the complexities in these systems..
and even right now a lot of people are tired of 'pretty'

I agree....
There are certain computer games for example, that look FANTASTIC... but honestly, I forget about them, I don't go back and play them.. they lose my interest.
At the time I thought they were great looking, but the gameplay was just 'more of the same'

In this respect, I see the XBOX/PS3 going that way.
There has to be something else... we've sat at a stall point since the analog controller really.
Wireless, while cool... was inevitable, but it really doesn't change gameplay.
Old 12/8/05, 01:13 PM

Here's the thing though. A controller is a controller. MS and Sony can both impement something similiar for their systems, then they'll ahve the graphics and the "neato" controller.

As mentioned before, Nintendo will have price and the platform games going for it. But, many games will be available on all three consoles, and people will choose the one that looks the best.

Me, I'll be getting a 360 when they come down in price. :P
Old 12/8/05, 02:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Woah.
At $150, I'd have to buy one, even though I hate the controller with a passion.
Old 12/8/05, 02:16 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by MustangMan311@December 8, 2005, 1:14 PM
I hate the controller with a passion.
ahh, you conservative punk :P
Old 12/8/05, 08:25 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wow... $150.... hmmm

this is looking good. im interested in the controler, but not gung ho just yet. i would have to wait and see what the PS3 comes out with

but!!!! the idea of a shotgun controler REALLY has me excited. like the light guns of old...

wait...

OH MY GOD

lightgun ppl. do you know what this means to any nintendo fan worth his stash of original Game Boy games? it means the RETURN OF DUCK HUNT!!!! and since we can get old games nehow... YES!!! DUCK HUNTT

i never even had an NES, but i still bought duck hunt/mario bros two pack for about $1 a few months ago.. i adore that game

if revolution means i can play duck hunt as it was meant to be... well... i think im going to need to get one

and at 99-150? i might have to get one in addition to a PS3. i did that with my PS2 in GC. bought em both used anyhow so t wasnt much money at all, $250 in total

im excited now
Old 12/8/05, 08:28 PM
I'm people, and I like.

It can also be a sword, a knife, an arm, an Arin swatter, etc., along with it being a gun
Old 12/8/05, 08:57 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 12/8/05, 09:19 PM
I Have No Life

Yeah, and the beauty part is... its not a light gun at all.
Its a bluetooth sensor by the TV that figures out X, Y, Z co-ordinates.. up/down/in/out/left/right and everything inbetween

I THINK this is what Nintendo is counting on....people who will buy either PS3 or XBox360 and will for the cheap price, pickup the 'rev' for the games that are exclusive.

Nintendo will still sell buttloads, and make profits on the games...

I just hope it works out

I'm preordering thats for sure...
Old 12/9/05, 07:46 AM
I'm people, and I like.

When is it slated to be released?
Old 12/9/05, 01:24 PM
Needs to be more Astony

I want revolution!!!
Old 12/9/05, 03:46 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hmm this controller seems almost too good to be true! a sword, arm, gun, and its bluetooth at that! simply inspirational

but....

can it also make Lalo's nachos edible? THAT would be a serious engineering accomplishment

Old 12/9/05, 04:18 PM
I'm people, and I like.

How did I know that my Nachos were going to come up?!

One of these days Arin... one of these days : shaking fist ::

Quick Reply: The Nintendo Revolution