Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Need advice on men's dress shoes

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/10 | 04:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Need advice on men's dress shoes

The current pair of Oxfords I have are on their last leg. The leather isn't that great but I was able to get a spit shine. Unfortunately it doesn't take that well and the tiniest scratch will flake it off. In addition, one of the heels wore through an air pocket in the molded rubber so it makes a squish sound in the rain.

I need to buy a new pair, but I was wondering if anyone knew where to find this configuration:
Patent leather material (so it's already shiny or I can keep a great shine all the time)
Traditional Oxford style (not the square end or some fancy BS that will go out of style in 1 year)
Durable soles
Soft-enough soles that I can use it to drive a manual transmission gear

I've driven my 07 GT with a variety of shoes and the best ones for driving were athletic shoes and these current Oxfords because of the soft soles. My boots were too stiff and thick to give me the pedal feel I want. However, I also need professional shoes to wear at work (suit and tie). I used to change shoes in the parking lot, but screw that. I want 1 pair for driving and business wear.

Any ideas? I figure one other Mustang owner has been in this predicament. Should I visit Men's Warehouse?
Old 1/25/10 | 06:21 AM
Cobra Member

Definitely go to Men's Warehouse. I started buying my dress shoes from there a couple years ago as they have some very nice Italian made shoes that are super comfortable along with having flexible/soft soles (several options for ~$100/pair). I drive my manual Mustang to work in the summer which is over 70 miles round trip and have no complaints.
Old 1/25/10 | 06:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'll definitely check them out. Are they adequate/ideal for heel-toe downshifting?

I find a lot of dress/uniform shoes tend to have very thick/stiff soles with medium height heels that make it less than ideal for driving a manual at least for me. I worked with a girl that wore knee-high boots that had stilleto heels and she drives sports cars - I dunno how she does that.
Old 1/25/10 | 06:53 AM
Post *****

Johnston & Murphy (http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/) also has some nice shoes.