Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

my ability to sleep

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/08, 06:44 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my ability to sleep

has been brutally PWN3D by college. Ever since I got home from school I havent been able to get out of the habit of going to bed between 2-4am and waking up between the hours of 11am and 2pm. Today was an all time late with a 2:30pm wakeup.

I've become a bit of an insomniac. Even with those ridiculous bedtimes I find myself needing sleeping aids. So what am I doing about it?

I've decided to royally screw with my sleeping cycle until it works again. hell, its already out of whack, what more damage can I do? I haven't fallen asleep yet and its 5:35 am. My room is starting to get illuminated by the blue skies trying to shine therough my window shade thing.

If all goes to plan, I'll be out like a rock by dark. Maybe I'll be able to wake up at a decent hour again. That'll be the day....
Old 6/5/08, 06:47 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What you need to do is find yourself a woman. They are known to suck (take that whatever way you want) the life out of a man. Next thing you know, you will be sleeping all night and can't wait to get out of there in the morning.
Old 6/5/08, 06:52 AM
Post *****

Easier said than done my friend

Still trying to find one that will put up with my eccentricities and is still a decent human being. The last one ended up being a *****, the one before that despises me for too many reasons to list, and the last one before that was a ***** to infinity (cheated on me 9 times in 10 months)

I certainly know how to pick em

I've been trying to tire myself out by working on the II from the moment I get up til its too dark to work anymore, along with working out and still juggling a social life, but I'm just to superhuman for my own good
Old 6/5/08, 07:00 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Ah, you are at that age where women like to cheat. All of my highschool girlfriends did that too me and I could never figure out why. As years went by I had talked to them and they all said the same thing. They were not sure what they wanted at the time and wish they hadn't done it. Ya, sure, ok, whatever, uh huh.

Not sure if you have tried this but go to bed at your "normal time". If you can't sleep within 30 minutes get out of bed. Watch some tv, something very boring, and then go back to bed. Don't eat after 8:00 pm if you can help it and if you have to drink something, only have water. If that doesn't work, instead of watching tv, go for a walk. I had the same problem you are having. It lasted for close to a year before I went to a sleep clinic. I had sleep insomnia but it was due to what I was eating later at night. I seemed to eat something around 9:00 and have a glass of milk. Ever since I stopped doing that I am usually asleep by 11 now.
Old 6/5/08, 07:08 AM
Post *****

I'm shooting to get back in the rhythm of sleeping around midnight, which is what I did my last year of high school and it worked well enough. I'm not old enough to go to bed too much earlier, us young hoodlums gotta cause a ruckus at night

I've been thinking I have insomnia, but I've never actually talked to a doctor about it or anything. I just haven't gone to bed before 2am in about a year. But at the beginning of that, 2am was like my limit. The clock would hit 2 and I'd pass out. Now, 2am I go to bed and I'm laying there for hours. I've been in bed since 1:30am, and its nearly 6 now. I tried TV, I tried boring myself with the "dead zone" on the forums where no one is really posting, an endless list of mind numbing activities to no avail.

The eating though, thats a good point. I usually don't even have dinner until 8 or 9, but then again, thats also because I have breakfast at noon... Its an endless cycle. I'm hoping that exhausting myself to the point of not being able to stay up late tonight will help me fix this
Old 6/5/08, 07:11 AM
Retired Tms Staff

If you eat that late, your metabolism is trying to break down the food which raises your body temp. This ends up keeping you awake. Experts also say that you should only be in bed for 2 reasons. Sex and sleeping. If you are in bed and 30 minutes later you are not doing either one of those, you should not be in the bed. Your brain, oddly enough, will eventually think that if you lay down in bed that you are not going to be sleeping. It sounds like you need to retrain your brain.
Old 6/5/08, 07:17 AM
Post *****

My bed folds out of the couch in my room, and at this point in time, my room is too cluttered to open up the bed part, so I've just been sleeping on the couch. And guess what I'm doing during the day if I'm not wokring on the car? thats right... on the couch. I've started using the front desk more for my near constant computer use, but I always end up back on my couch because I hate being bothered.

Actually, if I look back to the past year in school, whenever I was in my room I was in my bed on my computer, because there was no room on my desk and I had the top bunk, so I hated getting out of bed to do anything. And after a social fiasco of the first semester i spent ALOT of time in my room. The past school year definitely contributed to the conditioning of my brain to no longer equate bed with sleep. Its all starting to make sense...

Man, I ain't getting any of what the experts say should be happening in my bed
Old 6/5/08, 07:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have been having issues lately as well the thing that stinks though is that i wake up to be at my desk for work at 7:00am, so when i get to bed late its a real drain for the next day. i think i agree though try to stay out of the area you sleep in until just before you want to hit the sack. its hard but i think it would help. best of luck to you sir!! also the comfort of a bed helps a lot, you might want to think about changing up the sofa bed
Old 6/5/08, 07:46 AM
Post *****

The sofa bed is plenty comfy, but I guess I'll just focus on staying away from the couch until I sleep and otherwise retraining my brain to sleep like a normal human being
Old 6/5/08, 08:27 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
College years its normal to have crazy sleep habits. My first year of college even though i lived at home and commuted to comunity college i would go to sleep anywhere from 3am-5am in the morning, but i would wake up at 7am... so 6 months of 2-4 hours of sleep a night.
Old 6/5/08, 08:29 AM
Post *****

Yeah, its totally fine while school is going on, but right now it isn't. Most of my day is wasted asleep when I could be outside working on the II or the Yamaha
Old 6/5/08, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
go to bed at your normal time but set your clock for 7am. Then get up and exercise for at least an hour really getting your heart rate going. Don't go back to sleep after and try to get some sun, as its proven to increase melatonin production that helps you get to sleep.
you can also try a melatonin supplement 30 minutes before you go to sleep.
Old 6/5/08, 08:43 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Set your clock alarm for 9 a.m. for tomorrow. Believe me, you'll be sleeping by midnight tomorrow night.
Old 6/5/08, 09:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin
try some of that stuff. It seems to be working for my wife. Either that or try some benadryl
Old 6/5/08, 09:38 AM
Post *****

I'll be setting an alarm for tomorrow morning for sure, especially now that I'm up, awake and doing things right now without sleeping last night. I'll be dead tired by the time night falls

as for medicine to take before bed, up until now I've been either taking 2 tylenol PM or advil PM to get to sleep. Not every night, but the pills helped sleep happen faster. Otherwise I'm laying there for hours. Heck, sometimes WITH the pills I'd be awake for a while too.

Last edited by future9er24; 6/5/08 at 09:39 AM.
Old 6/5/08, 09:42 AM
Needs to be more Astony

nothing a couple brewskis can't take care of.

A 6 pack a day keeps the tiredness away.
Old 6/5/08, 09:44 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by future9er24
I'll be setting an alarm for tomorrow morning for sure, especially now that I'm up, awake and doing things right now without sleeping last night. I'll be dead tired by the time night falls

as for medicine to take before bed, up until now I've been either taking 2 tylenol PM or advil PM to get to sleep. Not every night, but the pills helped sleep happen faster. Otherwise I'm laying there for hours. Heck, sometimes WITH the pills I'd be awake for a while too.
Try watching NBA Finals tonight, that will for sure put in to sleep.
Old 6/5/08, 09:48 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Knight
nothing a couple brewskis can't take care of.

A 6 pack a day keeps the tiredness away.
But I'm only 19

Though I will say procurement of helpful beverages is definitely harder at my age than for yourself
Old 6/5/08, 09:49 AM
Post *****

Zoran, the only flaw with your plan is that watching basketball won't put me to sleep, it'll just drive me insane. I just need a constant loop of mustangs zooming around a track. The exhaust notes could lull me to sleep....
Old 6/5/08, 09:55 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by future9er24
But I'm only 19

I did completly forget that aspect. I get so used to being able to buy whatever i want whenever i want.

Quick Reply: my ability to sleep