Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

The Mustang And Iraq

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/05, 11:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Osama and Saddam Ties
Terror Ties

And our troops do deserve more cash for putting their lives on the line. In pay and insurance. 'Bout time.
Old 2/2/05, 01:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were attacked by Muslim Extremists.
Correct

Who were funded, harbored, trained, and welcomed in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Partially accurate, predominately absurd. Our attackers (15 of 19) hailed from Saudi Arabia, a country that W refers to as our “ally.” The Taliban regime certainly qualifies, and on this point you are correct. Iraq, on the other hand, had no, and I repeat, NO connection to 9/11 whatsoever. This is not a matter of opinion (for which I have little use), but the principle conclusion of the most comprehensive intelligence probe in U.S. history. And no, I’m not talking about mysterious “secret memos” obtained by such reputable sources as the Weekly Standard. I’m referring to the detailed analysis of a 20 month, bi-partisan investigation, endorsed (though belatedly) by the president, and probing over 2,000,000 documents (not to mention over 1000 interview transcripts). The final verdict: NO 9/11 CONNECTION. Skeptical? I don’t blame you for being so. After all, Cheney said so, or at least “suggested” so. But here you see that your predicament is perhaps not so much a product of your own ignorance (which nonetheless does play a part) as it is an unfortunate by-product of your blind faith. Faith that your elected leaders (errrrr, this last election at least) would never deliberately mislead you. An admirable faith, perhaps, to hold for a deity. For a man, however, particularly one of G.W.’s intelligence and character, this faith has lead you, tragically, to a position that is simply inconsistent with the preponderance of available evidence. Any person with a 5th grade reading ability can process the following report, but be forewarned, if your political leanings skew republican, and/or you are one of the few remaining Americans that believes Iraq had ANYTHING to do with 9/ll, you will invariably be displeased with the findings.

http://www.gpoaccess.gov

Having resolved that issue (I can only assume you have read), I’m sure you are now also (and I hope, not too bitterly) aware of the all but non-existent link between Iraq and Al Qaeda, more broadly speaking (to say nothing of 9/11). Unless, of course, you interpret “no collaborative relationship” to mean something other than what it means in the English language. In the unfortunate event that you haven’t read the 9/11 commission report, perhaps a few summaries from leading media outlets will suffice, though I much prefer the original, non-“summarized” text….

Washington Post
BBC
New York Times

That's a fact.
I suggest you spend a few minutes looking up the meaning of the word “fact.” In the meantime, spare me and the rest of the forum your nonsensical republican drivel, unless you specifically designate such rubbish as a matter of opinion and not of fact. That crap may fly for the slim (read: 51%) majority of Americans, and a disturbingly large share of fellow Mustang owners, but it will not fly for me, or any other American who places more “faith” in the empirical record than in the political claims of a man who recently thanked Japan for a century and a half of solid alliance (oh my…..)

The Middle East has produced the most prolific terrorists for the past 20-30 years.
This position is entirely inconsistent with the available data, though you can feel free to share your figures (and sources, I would hope) with the rest of us, assuming the above statement does indeed reflect some credible statistical evidence. For the record, Latin America and Southeast Asia both outrank the Middle East in terms of event frequency (even with the inclusion of the highly particularistic Palestine/Israeli conflict, the Middle East is still third). Public release data and terrorism FAQs are readily available from the Heritage Foundation’s Center for Data Analysis.

It is, as they say a breeding ground,
As WHO says? Politicians? Journalists? Scientists?

We have hopefully dealt a major blow to the "heart of the beast".
If you are alluding to Iraq, then you are most certainly mistaken, both geographically and metaphorically.

North Korea......Completely different situation and needs a unique approach.
Indeed. Credible threat. Established (and well documented) WMD program. History of hostility toward the U.S. Militant dictatorship. Highly Oppressive regime….countless human rights violations etc. etc. An arm of G.W.’s “Axis of Evil.” In part, the very embodiment of the pre-war claims made about Iraq. And perhaps even more ironic, had W. said these things about North Korea, the evidence would actually support, rather than refute, his position. You were saying something about a “completely different situation” ???

Anyone who thinks that China would not be inclined to side with North Korea, to at least protect it's own border and interests, is mistaken(in MY opinion).
Finally, you demonstrate your understanding of the word OPINION! And a most interesting opinion indeed  :scratch:

North Korea does not stand as an exporter of terrorists, only weapons. Well we have taken out the majority of their customers.
Oh I should have known better. :bang: Tell me, why do you insist on misusing words like “majority,” typically reserved for description or analysis of factual data, in shameless and unsubstantiated litanies of political/social opinion?

I just know that what this administration is doing is the right thing.
Friend, you BELIEVE the administration is doing the right thing. Knowledge requires evidence, and on the basis of the evidence, it is unclear how your position can be true. If you disagree, you disagree with the evidence I have provided you, not with my opinion, which is inconsequential to this discussion.

I fully support our president and will again go anywhere in the world I am needed. I won't go blindly and I do not follow blindly…
On the basis of your rhetoric, the tenuous nature of your arguments, and the disturbing lack of evidence you have put forth, I am inclined to disagree.

I understand people have their own views and I understand not everyone sees the world the same way. But I just wanted to voice my opinion(which I rarely see the need to do) and hopefully share my viewpoint maturely and without malice toward anyone.
A thoughtful and much appreciated courtesy. I hope to have shown you the same.

Thanks for reading.
My pleasure. And of course, ditto. B)
Old 2/2/05, 01:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Grantsdale@January 31, 2005, 4:35 PM
Don't try Bush bashing, I'll ram you all through the ringer.

anytime you're ready, son.
Old 2/2/05, 09:16 AM
V6 Member

Angry

Purple Hayz,

I thought I communicated clearly that these were my views and opinions. I am truly sorry if I misrepresented myself as an authority on these matters, it was not my intent. Everything in my post was my opinion and as such I don't see the need to defend the content nor the manner in which I presented it. I will say that I indeed presented conclusions that were not based on statistical information. Just like when I tell you that Legend Lime is the BEST color for the 05 mustang. I have NO "data " to support this, just my opinion, my belief. I will try to come up with an adequate disclaimer prior to my future posts to avoid any more miscommunication on my part.
Old 2/2/05, 01:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Red Star+January 31, 2005, 12:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red Star @ January 31, 2005, 12:15 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Shea@January 31, 2005, 12:07 PM
Devil Dog, I agree with everything you said (I have a sister who is going to Iraq soon, so this whole thing does affect me to some extent).

Red Star, it is interesting, I have a good friend who is a Bosnian refugee, and while she would never say America's foreign policy is perfect, she said her life became much better once Americans got involved in Bosnia/Serbia a few years back...
Life for us who had a chance to move to USA or Canada or Australia or some better European country (such as Germany or Austria or Switzerland or Sweden) did get better. I was talking about people that are still left in Serbia/Bosnia/Croatia.
I do have a family friends that live in Lansing, we were neighbors back in Knin, Croatia. That is your friends last name (if you don't wanna say it here you can sent me PM).
[/b][/quote]

She also says that her mother (who is a doctor in Bosnia) is also mostly happy about US involvment. Her name is Lana, but I've no idea how to spell her last name. I also have a Serbian friend who is living here, his name is Milos Timotijevic.
Old 2/2/05, 02:16 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by Shea+February 2, 2005, 3:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shea @ February 2, 2005, 3:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Red Star@January 31, 2005, 12:15 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Shea
@January 31, 2005, 12:07 PM
Devil Dog, I agree with everything you said (I have a sister who is going to Iraq soon, so this whole thing does affect me to some extent).

Red Star, it is interesting, I have a good friend who is a Bosnian refugee, and while she would never say America's foreign policy is perfect, she said her life became much better once Americans got involved in Bosnia/Serbia a few years back...

Life for us who had a chance to move to USA or Canada or Australia or some better European country (such as Germany or Austria or Switzerland or Sweden) did get better. I was talking about people that are still left in Serbia/Bosnia/Croatia.
I do have a family friends that live in Lansing, we were neighbors back in Knin, Croatia. That is your friends last name (if you don't wanna say it here you can sent me PM).
She also says that her mother (who is a doctor in Bosnia) is also mostly happy about US involvment. Her name is Lana, but I've no idea how to spell her last name. I also have a Serbian friend who is living here, his name is Milos Timotijevic.
[/b][/quote]

No, I don't know them. Family friends that I was talking about were Dragan and Tatjana Lazic.
I forgot to mention that this was after the war. This has nothing to do with the war. This was 4 years later, war officially ended in 1995, and this was in 1999.
Check this link and then tell me how anything positive can result from this.

http://www.sramota.com/nato/
Old 2/2/05, 09:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Forget it. Changed my mind about posting. BTW, thank you Purple Haze.
Old 2/3/05, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Maverick128@February 2, 2005, 10:40 PM
Forget it. Changed my mind about posting. BTW, thank you Purple Haze.
Old 2/3/05, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Devildog19@February 2, 2005, 10:19 AM
Purple Hayz,

I thought I communicated clearly that these were my views and opinions. I am truly sorry if I misrepresented myself as an authority on these matters, it was not my intent. Everything in my post was my opinion and as such I don't see the need to defend the content nor the manner in which I presented it. I will say that I indeed presented conclusions that were not based on statistical information. Just like when I tell you that Legend Lime is the BEST color for the 05 mustang. I have NO "data " to support this, just my opinion, my belief. I will try to come up with an adequate disclaimer prior to my future posts to avoid any more miscommunication on my part.

No worries, Devildog. And no disclaimer needed. We're all entitled to our opinions, fact-based and otherwise.

One point of clarification though. You are WAY off base about the LIME GREEN. Several independent panels and the Bureau of Supreme Mustang Colors have concluded, after thorough investigation, that REDFIRE is indeed the best 05 Mustang color ever. Legend Lime was second.
Old 2/3/05, 04:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MustangDan@January 30, 2005, 10:34 PM
2005 is shaping up to be a great year, watching the people in Iraq vote on the news today made me realize how blessed we are to be fretting about the IUP, engine, color, and wheels to name a few. To me a tragedy is this forum to be down. I pray that some day the people of Iraq will be worrying about how they want their Mustang. After all isn’t that what voting and freedom are all about?
I’m quoting myself to remind everyone why I started this thread. 2005 has a lot of great things happening and the Mustang is part of good things happening, there is a lot to be thankful for.

FACTS:
Connections made simple, Bin Laden attacked us because, we are Saudi Arabia, and we are in Saudi Arabia because of Sadam “Insane” attacking our friends and allies.

OPINION:
George Bush, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush and anyone one the other side of the isle is not the enemy! Each could of would have and should of, but that is all of us.

REALITY:
We are at war, and we must win. The good of us in every faith need to pray and give thanks and do everything to stop the evil that tries high jacks any of our faiths.

REQUEST:
People that hate; pray for the one you hate, they need it, and you need it.

REJOICE:
We have the 2005 Mustang to play with!

God Bless,
Dan
Old 2/3/05, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

amen