Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Memorial Day Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/05, 08:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As we head into the weekend, take one minute to remember what it's all about.

Drive safely, and come back next week.
Old 5/27/05, 03:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I second that in a big way. Rent Saving Private Ryan if you forgot what it's all about.
Old 5/27/05, 05:59 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I completely agree. Sometimes we are so busy with our holiday plans, that we forget what its truely about. Just a moment of remembrance of those who have gone before us. :usa:
Old 5/27/05, 06:04 AM
Bullitt Member

How about going one step further and actually attending a parade or visiting a cemetary? I bet each one of us would come across at least one veteran to say thank you to.

As for myself, I will be marching in a Memorial Day Parade with my Civil War reenacting unit and giving a gun salute at a local cemetary.

EK
Old 5/27/05, 06:28 AM
Cobra Member

[quote=ekessler507,May 27, 2005, 6:07 AM]
How about going one step further and actually attending a parade or visiting a cemetary? I bet each one of us would come across at least one veteran to say thank you to.

I'll have the flag out all weekend. Last year my 25 year old son and myself took my father in law to Normandy for the 60th anniv of D-Day. He had landed on Omaha beach in WW2 so we decided to make the 60th memorable for him. it was such an amazing event. We got VIP passes to the ceremony at the American Cemetary, sat literally right in front of Pres Bush, met Tom Hanks, and were able to share so many stories about the war that my Father in law had never talked about [some of which he had forgotten].
I was taking pictures of everything and got a couple good ones of the cemetary and of Tom Hanks. He was determined to meet every WW2 vet that were in attendance and posed for pictures, signed autographs andwas so genuine. There was a break in the meet and greets and he looked in my direction. i had my Vietnam Vet ball cap on and I said Mr Hanks, do you have a second for a Vietnam Vet? What happend next was one of the most surreal mments I have ever experienced[ and believe me I have seen and done a lot]. He looked right at me, came ofer and put his arms around me and gave me a big hug [I mean a really big squeezing freindship type hug]. He then thanked me for my service and told me that enough has not been done for Vietnam Vets but soon there will be [I stilll think there may be a movie there sometime]. He then posed for a picture and put his arm around me and whispered in my ear "Welcome Home" [I did all I could to keep back a tear]. It was all so genuine.
Anyway here are a couple pictures from my vast collection. Make sure you tell any serviceman you see "Thanks for your service" and if you run into a veteran, thank him as well. It means a lot no matter how many times you hear it.

Thank you all for caring! Here's a couple pictures from June 6th, 2004.
Old 5/27/05, 06:57 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, powerful message there Ed. I bet that was an unforgettable trip.

The last photo is one more people need to take a look at.
Old 5/27/05, 07:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ISELLFORD@May 27, 2005, 6:31 AM
<SNIP>
Thank you all for caring! Here's a couple pictures from June 6th, 2004.
First and foremost, thank you Ed Miller for your service and for that of your father! :worship: Mr. Hanks is correct that not enough has been done for the Vietnam veterans to make up for what each of you has had to deal with after coming home. Attending the 60th Anniversary D-Day events must have been doubly special experiencing them with your father. I know a couple WWII paratrooper vets that attended the events last year. I attended a 60th Anniversary D-Day landing reenactment last year in Conneaut, OH as a participant. More veterans attended that event last year than any of the previous years. I am humbled each time a veteran, regardless of conflict, says thank to myself and other reenactors for remembering what they endured and accomplished, when in fact we are attempting, in a very small way, to say thank you to all of them.

Enjoy your Memorial Day!

EK
Old 5/27/05, 08:05 AM
Cobra Member

Looking out over that cemetary is so amazing. We arrived at dawn and there was still dew rising. Another photo attached.

The only other time I got as emotional was a few years back when my son and i visited the arizona Memorial [really hit home being an ex-sailor].
Old 5/27/05, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow, incredible photos and story Ed. The meaning is often lost about this holiday, so it's good to hear about this kind of stuff.

Have a wonderful and safe Memorial Day Weekend.
Old 5/27/05, 10:54 AM
Cobra Member

Ed, thank you for your story and photos. I haven't been to the battlefield in Normandy yet, but it's on my list for next year.

My grandfather served in WWI, my dad skipperd a PT boat in WWII, and I brother and I served our tours in Vietnam so you can understand why this weekend is so significant for me.

Last year the traveling wall was here on Memorial Day. As I touched the names of my friends I started crying.
Old 5/27/05, 11:19 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by scottie1113@May 27, 2005, 10:57 AM
Ed, thank you for your story and photos. I haven't been to the battlefield in Normandy yet, but it's on my list for next year.

My grandfather served in WWI, my dad skipperd a PT boat in WWII, and I brother and I served our tours in Vietnam so you can understand why this weekend is so significant for me.

Last year the traveling wall was here on Memorial Day. As I touched the names of my friends I started crying.

Welcome Home!
Old 5/27/05, 12:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Sunday, I'm buying drinks for three friends of mine that always hang out in the cafe at the Wally World I used to work at. I love when they start talking about their experiences during WW2. I'll sit there for a couple hours listening to their stories in admiration. Realizing that these people, my friends, were over there during WW2 fighting for what was right. It moves you when you sit and actually think about it. Thank you to all those that gave their lives for what they believe in, to make things right.

On a side note, I'm VERY happy that my church is having our annual Greek Festival this weekend. Gotta love that Gyro and Pasticio. Everyone have a great weekend!
Old 5/27/05, 12:49 PM
Cobra Member

On a side note, I'm VERY happy that my church is having our annual Greek Festival this weekend. Gotta love that Gyro and Pasticio. Everyone have a great weekend!
[/quote]

I'm the duty bbq chef at out Arena Football tailgate party Sat. On Monday , we are haveing a fan club picnic for the team [cooking again].
Sat is the Midwest classic car show , swap meet, and auction.

Need to get back to work Monday to recouperate,
Old 5/27/05, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm the duty bbq chef at out Arena Football tailgate party Sat. On Monday , we are haveing a fan club picnic for the team [cooking again].
Sat is the Midwest classic car show , swap meet, and auction.

Need to get back to work Monday to recouperate,

Hey, we have an arena football team here in Erie, PA. It is called the Erie Freeze. What league is your team in Ed? :scratch:

EK
Old 5/27/05, 01:31 PM
Cobra Member

We are in the midwest division of AF2. I don;t see an Arena team in either AF2 or AF1. The indoor game is a hoot.
Old 5/27/05, 02:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:worship: :flag2:

May you all have a safe and happy holiday weekend!

eace:
Old 5/27/05, 02:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
:usa: To all those who have served and are currently serving.
Old 5/27/05, 02:26 PM
GT Member

:usa:
Old 5/27/05, 02:53 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks for everything all of our sevice men and women have done and will do for our country :usa:

Great story Ed, and amazing pictures.
Old 5/27/05, 03:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Scothew@May 27, 2005, 2:56 PM
Thanks for everything all of our sevice men and women have done and will do for our country :usa:

Great story Ed, and amazing pictures.

Thank you so much. i just nicked the surface with the pics I posted.

Quick Reply: Memorial Day Weekend