Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Mac or PC ?

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/08, 05:55 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just copy and paste several files from one folder to another in Vista and bam, first issue. It takes forever for Vista to figure out what it is doing before it even starts copying the files. The problem with Vista is the same thing as when XP was first introduced. It wasn't ready yet for the market but M$ pushed it to meet the deadline. They have been trying to fix it ever since. XP really wasn't that stable until SP2 so I will assume the same with Vista. I only say there is problems because I currently work on over 200 machines loaded with Vista. About a dozen of them have never had problems. The rest have been messy. Then again, that saying goes for anything. I have had to work on Macs that were totally messed up, however that was due to the users.
Old 6/5/08, 07:03 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go w/ the Mac. You'll look much cooler at Starbucks.
Old 6/5/08, 07:13 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I was just in NYC. I can't get over how many Starbucks places there are.
Old 6/5/08, 07:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
love mac just havent been able to afford it yet. now i need to figure out a way to be a "student" and buy the IMAC i have been threatening myself so that i can get a free ipod touch at the same time.
Old 6/5/08, 10:38 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I cant remember any real problems, other than my wireless not being recognized once in a blue moon, but then it's just a simple restart, and it'll work. I copy and paste (picture) files all the time, and havent had any problems. I just install all the updates, and Im good to go.
Old 6/5/08, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by adrenalin
I was just in NYC. I can't get over how many Starbucks places there are.
I live/work in NY/NJ and in a 1 mile walk from 18th Street & 5th Avenue to Penn Station not only do I pass 6 Startbucks, I also pass 5 Duane Reade's (Pharmacy).

2 years ago the ratio of laptops in Starbucks was 90% Windoze, now it's more like 20% Windoze and 80% Macs.

I've been in technology since 1984 and have worked both sides of the OS Wars, and I gotta say that the Macs are ALOT easier to manage. Now on a personal note I do contracting on the side as well and I can makes more money fixing PC's in 1 month than fixing macs in 6 months.
The macs are that much more reliable and so much easier to troubleshoot/repair & restore.

This is 23+ years of experience talking.
The best part now with the intel based macs is I only have to travel with 1 Mac Laptop (running Parallels or bootcamp for win support) instead of a mac & pc laptop separately.

LJS

Last edited by MR-STANG; 6/5/08 at 12:48 PM.
Old 6/5/08, 12:49 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just so people know, you can build a pc that can run OS X.

I am a PC person myself. I like the modability of PC, you can literally do anything possible and there are a billion part selections to customize anything you want.

Last edited by Knight; 6/5/08 at 12:50 PM.
Old 6/13/08, 09:15 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by Knight
Just so people know, you can build a pc that can run OS X.

I am a PC person myself. I like the modability of PC, you can literally do anything possible and there are a billion part selections to customize anything you want.

True but it is not that easy to do (driver issues) for most people that would even think about attempting it. On the new Mac, well, windows just works with no issues (other than those included with every Microsoft product).
Old 6/13/08, 09:17 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by MR-STANG
I live/work in NY/NJ and in a 1 mile walk from 18th Street & 5th Avenue to Penn Station not only do I pass 6 Startbucks, I also pass 5 Duane Reade's (Pharmacy).

2 years ago the ratio of laptops in Starbucks was 90% Windoze, now it's more like 20% Windoze and 80% Macs.

I've been in technology since 1984 and have worked both sides of the OS Wars, and I gotta say that the Macs are ALOT easier to manage. Now on a personal note I do contracting on the side as well and I can makes more money fixing PC's in 1 month than fixing macs in 6 months.
The macs are that much more reliable and so much easier to troubleshoot/repair & restore.

This is 23+ years of experience talking.
The best part now with the intel based macs is I only have to travel with 1 Mac Laptop (running Parallels or bootcamp for win support) instead of a mac & pc laptop separately.

LJS
Same here. I seem to work (on the side) on a pc every night fixing problems. I know of over 20 friends that have macs and I only get a call about once every 2 months regarding a question and about once every 3-4 months to actually have to fix a software issue (normally caused by the user). I don't want everyone to go out and buy a Mac though. I make too much money on the side fixing pc's
Old 6/13/08, 10:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no problems with my PCs,. Not sure why anyone would get a mac other then being in the 'metromac' club??
Old 6/16/08, 03:18 PM
The Man... keeping you down.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mac = Limited hardware manufacturers and tightly controlled SDK's.
PC = Unlimited hardware manufacturers and openly distributed SDK's.

Now, why is Mac so much more reliable? This is not a knock against Apple, but everything released for a PC is in eternal beta while OSX is a finished product. If it wasn't for the PC market forcing Apple to upgrade their hardware you wouldn't see near the innovation out of Jobs' brainchild. Heck, look how long it's taken Apple to upgrade the iPhone for 3G service and that's only because Verizon/Palm/RIM were absolutely owning the broadband cell (EV-DO) market.